Planescape 5e Planescape- What would you like to see in the upcoming setting?

Sharn got 32 pages, whereas Khorvaire and and the rest of Eberron got 47 pages. A little more than thst for the Outer Planes, and a few pages of PC options, seems doable.

What sort of PC options, I wonder? We got the "Glitchling"/Modron explicitly in UA along with a bunch of Feats, but perhaps they will put the Ardling in here? Reprints of Assamkr, Genesis, and Gith seem quite likely, anything else...?

Bariaur would seem likely to me. Should be simple to do a riff off the MotM centaur.

I honestly don't think they'll repeat anything from MotM. Gith weren't reprinted in Spelljammer, for example.

(And just looking in Spelljammer, it mentions Arawn, Hecate, and Ptah as potential deities for Spelljammer characters to worship, so they were including real-life deities in a product from only a few months ago)

I want bariaur!
Maybe, though they didn't test anything for them: could a refluffed MotM Centaur fit the bill?
Swap out Fey for Celestial, merge the Hooves attack option with the Satyr's Ram (same damage, basically just giving a choice to opt for a kick or a headbutt as desired), maybe swap Natural Affinity for the Satyr's Mirthful Leaps or Reveler.

Could work easily enough.

Last edited:

How many products came out for Planescape prior to On Hallowed Ground...? Wouldn't that make the case that it is not necessarily a primary part of the experience?

Its not like those products preceding On Hollow Ground don't discribe Gods and other comic movers and shakers.

Also remember that the Outer & Inner Planes are alot more useful to folks that aren't setting their campaign in Sigil, then Sigil is.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Its not like those products preceding On Hollow Ground don't discribe Gods and other comic movers and shakers.

Also remember that the Outer & Inner Planes are alot more useful to folks that aren't setting their campaign in Sigil, then Sigil is.
But Sigil is the Setting part proper, that sets it apart. At any rate, a similar distribution Asa between Korvaire and Sharn seems likely.

Another thing I'd like to see is more concrete support, even formal play structures, around making the adventures about factions and belief. I know the old box had some advice, but it alway felt kinda obvious and simplistic to me. Perhaps a couple ready-made & structured campaign premises would suffice. Things like:

1) The same-faction party: PCs form a faction-initiated crew executing covert operations. The more successful they are, the higher they climb in the ranks, the better access to new and powerful stuff (belief abilities, faction-exclusive artifacts & gear, stronger support NPCs, etc), and more sensitive missions in the "kriegstanz" (the covert faction war) they get. Also, advice on how to intertwine these with other ongoing adventures & campaigns.

2) The mixed-faction party: PCs are from different factions, but work together as a crew for some city entity (the Planewalkers' Guild, the City Council, the Planar Consortium, Ravel the Hag, a local cranium rats' gestalt, etc) doing jobs/missions for it. Meanwhile, each PC is assigned an individual, secret mission from their faction to spy, hinder or harm specific targets during the operations (or even other PCs!), and are rewarded accordingly by their facition "handlers" for it, again, with access to better belief abilities, faction-exclusive artifacts, expert NPCs, etc. And again, how to mix these sorties with ongoing adventures or campaigns.

3) The no-party setup: the "every man for himself" campaign, where PCs are individual operators from different factions, each with their web of assets and allied NPCs, getting into temporary conflicts and alliances with each other as their agendas collide and converge. They can or cannot join up and become a formal party down the road (in which case see number 2 above).

The important thing is to BRING IT ON! Dont' gimme just a couple paragraphs of loose advice, give me a bazillion tables to inspire and be used on the spot, full of sample mission targets, rewards, objectives, opposition types, city entities, complications to spill on missions like political climates & planar weather & union strikes, etc. Even provide a couple starting steps for each campaign, with ready-made NPC sponsors and opposition and choices for the crew to take with suggested consequences imediate and down the road. All that to get the ball rolling as fast and easier as possible, and then pass the reins to the group. BRING IT ON.

P.S: oh, and if possible give me a Blades in the Dark-inspired city factions chart with their types, strenght and relationships in a concise manner.

6033ec94-0bd2-4efc-8387-e0820f10f7bd-953-00000169e3a75d99_file.jpg

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Shout out here for the playbook character creation in Flatland Games' Beyond the Wall, Through Sunken Lands and Grizzled Adventurers, each of which form a party with connections to each other, even if they play wildly off the wall disparate character types.

It certainly seems like WotC (or someone else) could make a product to help knit groups together like this, either as part of character creation, or as a way to give everyone some sort of bonuses to entice them.

Last edited:

While I love the concept of playbooks myself (both the Apocalypse World and the more open Beyond the Wall ones) I suspect it 1. works better in more focused premises, and 2. is too radical a change in culture for 5e to adopt at this point.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While I love the concept of playbooks myself (both the Apocalypse World and the more open Beyond the Wall ones) I suspect it 1. works better in more focused premises, and 2. is too radical a change in culture for 5e to adopt at this point.
Yeah, it'd likely need to be an optional character creation module, rather than "surprise, this is how you roll up characters in 2024!"

Quickleaf

Legend
Shout out here for the playbook character creation in Flatland Games' Beyond the Wall, Through Sunken Lands and Grizzled Adventurers, each of which form a party with connections to each other, even if they play wildly off the wall disparate character types.

It certainly seems like WotC (or someone else) could make a product to help knit groups together like this, either as part of character creation, or as a way to give everyone some sort of bonuses to entice them.
Something like that would be a great inclusion in the new DMG or PHB. Even something as simple as a random table of how our characters know each other.

Remove ads