Planescape 5e Planescape- What would you like to see in the upcoming setting?

Yeah, this.

In most campaigns the PCs won't interact with the gods because in most campaigns the gods are off in their own faraway realms somewhere (or possibly have no physical existence at all), and aren't literally right there floating around the streets of the major city in the campaign, where some jerk rogue is ALWAYS going to try to pickpocket them.

If the Lady of Pain is going to be a major feature of Sigil, there needs to be some better guidelines for how PCs interact with her. Sure, most Sigilites will never interact with her, but PCs aren't most people and they do things that most people won't. 'Banished to the Mazes forever' sounds great on paper, but what does it mean when it actually happens to your PC party, for instance?
Mazes are explicitly escapable, just very hard to do so.

In Planescape Torment if you went on an indiscriminate rampage, frequently attacked Dabaus, or helped the priest of the Dead god of portals in his side quest you would get mazed, and have to escape. If you escape the maze and do a rampage or Dabaus attack again the Lady of Pain flays and kills you.

Basically Mazing is the warning.

Planescape for me is weird in a way that is sometimes ironic and whimsical but also in ways that are unsettling, dark, and grimy.* The tone of 5e seems to veer more towards "zany," irreverent and anachronistic (e.g. acquisitions incorporated).

* allow me to demonstrate with obligatory Diterlizzi art

Barghest.jpg
fiend3.jpg
pandemonium.jpg

grumpy fighter.png
Rev league person.png
fensir.png

the prison.jpg
Sigil.jpg

Planescape for me is weird in a way that is sometimes ironic and whimsical but also in ways that are unsettling, dark, and grimy.* The tone of 5e seems to veer more towards "zany," irreverent and anachronistic (e.g. acquisitions incorporated).
Acquisitions Incorporated is explicitly a gag book.

As one of the few people who enjoyed the format and content of Spelljammer, I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for Planescape.

80 Page setting guide - 30 pages on a reimagined Sigil, it's factions, and it's way of life. 50 pages split between the outer planes.
80 page monster guide
80 page Tier III adventure that blasts thru Sigil and 4-5 outer planes
I don't think many people disliked the format or content of the Spelljammer set. It was the page count that was lacking. A three book set with 16 - 32 pages more per book would probably work just fine.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That's not the tone of any of their other books, though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah who wants to go back to calling the Outlands "Concordant Opposition"?
I don't love all the choices, like Mechanus or Bytopia, but the 2E "let's not offend grandmothers" movement gave the planes a lot of identity.

I have no doubt that, if WotC felt the need to do so, some of the more bland planes could similarly get pushed into having more compelling identities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases