Planescape 5e Planescape- What would you like to see in the upcoming setting?

Stormonu

Legend
In the Wizards books case 32 seems to be the minimum.
Possibly a limitation for the minimum size of a hardback due to the spine. There's 1E modules as small as 8 and 16 pages. As noted above most printers require a signature of at least 4 (2 sheets of 8½X11, front and back) or 8 pages (known as a "signature") is the smallest block of pages you can do. So we'd see books in pages of 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72 or such.

FriendlyFiend

Explorer
It's a trap! To admit understanding means to admit one is an unscrupulous heel looking to swindle and con. ...or so I'm told.

I always wonder how folks from London's East End react to planar cant? Like, 'berk' is a pretty offensive connotation, right?
Very few people know the original derivation of 'berk' - it's seen as very mild (and now rather old-fashioned). IIRC, it was even allowed in Parliament, until some spoilsport alerted the officials to the original meaning.

He didn't say that it was divisible by 32. He pointed that 32 seems to be the minimum number of pages WoTC will have in any of it's books. ;) I hope that the Planescape book will be as thick as Keys From the Golden Vault. You can't describe the planes and their planar inhabitants in just 32 pages. ;)
He was quoting this post by @TheGlen

"Usually The page count has to be divisible by 8. It's a physical restriction of printers. If the book doesn't come to the right number of pages you have to pad it out with advertisements or filler pages until it does Or cut pages if you're just over"

And that post quoted an earlier post by @MonsterEnvy

"Books for D&D have to come in 32 page increments I am pretty sure."

And that post quoted... well, me. So I've been following the responses rather closely lol...

So the conversation was definitely concerning the minimum the page count is divisible by, not the minimum page count overall.

Last edited:

Very few people know the original derivation of 'berk' - it's seen as very mild (and now rather old-fashioned). IIRC, it was even allowed in Parliament, until some spoilsport alerted the officials to the original meaning.
Berk comes from the rhyming slang of "Berkeley Hunt" which rhymes with a word that can refer to a part of the female anatomy.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I haven't read the thread.....but, and we'll not get this because it is hard for players to grasp, I'd like the planes to be odd and different than the material plane. Weird physics, odd geometry, things that make them feel different, not just alternate versions of the material. But, I've read many design articles from publishers over the years why that doesn't generally happen (sorry, this has been over years and I can't link, as I don't recall where).....

What I'd like when we don't get that is factions and beliefs mattering, interesting tables/options for planes, etc. Give us a toolbox of rules and tables......there is plenty of fluff (I don't expect this either) on line already.

I haven't read the thread.....but, and we'll not get this because it is hard for players to grasp, I'd like the planes to be odd and different than the material plane. Weird physics, odd geometry, things that make them feel different, not just alternate versions of the material. But, I've read many design articles from publishers over the years why that doesn't generally happen (sorry, this has been over years and I can't link, as I don't recall where).....

What I'd like when we don't get that is factions and beliefs mattering, interesting tables/options for planes, etc. Give us a toolbox of rules and tables......there is plenty of fluff (I don't expect this either) on line already.
If we're lucky, maybe WoTC will update 3e's Manual of the Planes to 5e. I liked how that book mentioned what kind of gravity each plane had (objective vs subjective) and how each plane affected the nature of certain spells (heightening spells with one kind of descriptor while diminishing spells with another kind of descriptor). The latter in 5e will probably involve casting spells with Advantage or Disadvantage.

And while Alignment is not a big thing as it was in previous editions, Alignment did play a big part in the Outer Planes as well. For instance, the third layer of Arcadia was lost to Mechanus when the Harmonium tried to force Chaotic beings into being Lawful in nature. As a result, there was an alignment shift and an entire layer slipped away. Oops! :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases