Planescape 5e Planescape

Greenmtn

Explorer
Counts as good or evil for the purposes of negating resistances as necessary. So you have a Baatorian Green Steel dagger, it counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances or affecting vulnerabilities.

I like both of those.

You're evil you know that right?

I do try. :) If the DM isn't at least a little evil, especially when you are in hell, it's no fun. One of my crowning achievements as a DM (From my point of view) came from that adventure as the party actually started planning a trip back to help get an NPC I created out of there.

Its been talked about before, but I think the Great Modron March would be a WONDERFUL framing device for a planar excursion. You have a chapter per plane (more or less; if there is a space issue; opt for the more popular outer planes) with some opening info on Sigil to start it off. As a bonus, you get to introduce some new monsters (more modrons! more celestial! more fiends!) and maybe a few planar races (bariaurs are a must-have).

I definitely agree. As the March proceeds clockwise around the planes, the lower levels for the adventure would take place in the upper planes, which would most likely consist of helping bystanders to get out of the way and/or cleaning up the chaos after the March has passed by (perhaps lower planar beings can take advantage of the situation to cause trouble in places). Mid-level play would take place in the places of chaos, where things get progressively tougher, leading to high-level play as the March continues through the lower planes. WotC could actually finally give us a full 1 - 20 leveling experience if they so wanted.

And as the Monster Manual specifically mentions the March, and since the DMG conspicuously has artwork pertaining to it (including the frontpiece art!), I wouldn't be surprised if they do go this route once they turn to the planes...

Honestly, PlaneScape is the easiest "setting" to update. You just need a big Manual of the Planes with a chapter on the Outlands and Sigil. Rules on portals and the like.
Anything more is gravy. All the lore and extra details of the 2e books are still valid.

Greenmtn

Explorer
I just had an idea...

It could be one of the best I have ever had or one of the worst.

Has anyone ever run a Campaign related to the game were The Nameless One is the Big Bad Guy?

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I just had an idea...

It could be one of the best I have ever had or one of the worst.

Has anyone ever run a Campaign related to the game were The Nameless One is the Big Bad Guy?

You mean where he does that thing that requires an eternity to try and undo? The first incarnation's crime that no matter what cannot unstain his soul? That would make an interesting game.

Mercule

Adventurer
Honestly, I never cared for Planescape. I don't hate it, like the Realms. I just never saw the lure. The slang was absurd. The Blood War seemed ham-handed. First level characters in the planes? Nuh-uh. And Sigil -- I just don't get it.

So, what I'd love to see... Find a way for me to use Planescape as an addition to my own campaign (home brew or, say, Greyhawk), instead of being in place of it. Who knows, I'm much more open to non-Tolkien fantasy than I was in the early 1990s. I might actually get into it, but I need a foothold to launch from.

Some of the suggestions others have made sound good, too. I've long had the devil/demon animosity be with the devils trying to take over and the demons realizing they're heading for oblivion no matter what so they just want to take as much with them as they can, so that one definitely sounds good.

Greenmtn

Explorer
You mean where he does that thing that requires an eternity to try and undo? The first incarnation's crime that no matter what cannot unstain his soul? That would make an interesting game.

Yeah. Or dealing with one of his evil incarnates. Stay alive and foil his plots long enough to figure out how to make him mortal and kill him. Or trap him somehow. I just thinl he would make a great bad guy.

discosoc

First Post
I used to love Planescape, but I'm a bit baffled at its rise in popularity over the years. It seems like something a lot of people supposedly love, yet never bothered playing in -- otherwise they'd know just how difficult a setting it was to run. It's kind of like talking to someone who raves about PS:T, but you quickly realize they never actually played it.

PS has some great components, and I think Sigil has a lot going for it as a slightly-alien big city where you can grab a drink with a demon after playing darts with a vampire, only to get mugged on your way home by a goat. But when you get to the inner and outer planes, it's often so binary or extreme that it all just blends in as commonly weird and nothing more. It's just not something you fully grasp until you've really played or DM'd in it for a while, and I get a real sense that many people haven't.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well they got me all excited and now I'm thinking.

What would you want to see in a 5e Planescape setting?

For me, I loved Sigil even if it is still intimidating for me. I would like to see it pre faction war or at least some ideas included for how the members/organizations still around are trying to maintain their power and beliefs.

The Blood War needs to stay I love the concept there.

I'd like to see the little quirks to magic depending on where you are come back.

The wierd playable races were always fun.

Well IMHO the best part of Planescape is the locations, and I don't think they really need a 5e update, the old books are just fine.

Goober4473

Explorer
I've been running The Great Modron March, interspersed with Well of Worlds and The Eternal Boundary, converted to 5e. It's very easy to convert 2e content to 5e, and I made a whole Planar Bestiary for the monster stats, which is the most time-consuming part.

If I was going to redesign the setting, rather than use the old lore/adventures, I'd probably lower the number of factions, since 15 is a lot to manage. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with everything about classic Planescape.

Remove ads