Planescape 5e Planescape

Greenmtn

Explorer
I've been running The Great Modron March, interspersed with Well of Worlds and The Eternal Boundary, converted to 5e. It's very easy to convert 2e content to 5e, and I made a whole Planar Bestiary for the monster stats, which is the most time-consuming part.

If I was going to redesign the setting, rather than use the old lore/adventures, I'd probably lower the number of factions, since 15 is a lot to manage. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with everything about classic Planescape.

Thats a lot of work converting stuff. Way to go!

I've never run PS before. I've played in it several times. Our DM at the time did at least well enough that I fell in love with the setting.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I used to love Planescape, but I'm a bit baffled at its rise in popularity over the years. It seems like something a lot of people supposedly love, yet never bothered playing in -- otherwise they'd know just how difficult a setting it was to run. It's kind of like talking to someone who raves about PS:T, but you quickly realize they never actually played it.

PS has some great components, and I think Sigil has a lot going for it as a slightly-alien big city where you can grab a drink with a demon after playing darts with a vampire, only to get mugged on your way home by a goat. But when you get to the inner and outer planes, it's often so binary or extreme that it all just blends in as commonly weird and nothing more. It's just not something you fully grasp until you've really played or DM'd in it for a while, and I get a real sense that many people haven't.

You have some good points there. Now I *have* played Planescape Torment and finished it (ha!) but I never ran planescape because of those difficulties you've mentioned. As far as Sigil goes, you need an experienced hand as a GM to run a large city with several factions (interestingly, although the setting is *very* different, Yoon-Suin has a lot of good advice and systems on how to run a game in a very large city).

While I do now have that experience, I am in the middle of something else (Yoon-Suin) and as far as the other planes go... I haven't solved that problem.

But it's one of those things that I really want to run... one day.

Planescape: Torment was awesome. I've played it all the way through twice (which I don't do with games).

As far as some of the comments about the setting go, it is important to make a distinction between D&D planar and Planescape.

The D&D multiverse, including the 17 Outer Planes, 18 or so Inner Planes, etc, predates the Planescape campaign setting. It's just a part of the game. The planes were defined in 1e. 2e created the Planescape campaign setting, which took those same planes, with very little change, and just expanded upon them and added a subculture that populates certain parts of them. 3e spent little time with Planescape, but used the same planes (cutting out some of them, dumbing down others, and adding a few innovations). 4e had a completely different planar arrangement loosely inspired by the original. 5e basically took the 1e-2e planar configuration, added in some stuff from 4e, and made a couple innovations of their own. They still didn't put back the remaining Inner Planes yet.

For those who aren't aware, you can find a 5e treatment of the planes in the DMG.

All of the elements of belief affecting reality, Factions, the Cant, the jaded mindset, etc, are part of the Sigil-based subculture. You can run all over the same dozens of planes without ever interacting with these Planescape elements.

So, these should not be confused with one another.

That being said, I personally like Planescape, and find that subculture a cool possibility. Not every planar adventure I have will interact with it (sometimes a trip to the Nine Hells is just a trip to Hell, not club-hopping in a Baatorian city), but I like to on occasion.

wwanno

First Post
I've been running The Great Modron March, interspersed with Well of Worlds and The Eternal Boundary, converted to 5e. It's very easy to convert 2e content to 5e, and I made a whole Planar Bestiary for the monster stats, which is the most time-consuming part.

If I was going to redesign the setting, rather than use the old lore/adventures, I'd probably lower the number of factions, since 15 is a lot to manage. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with everything about classic Planescape.
Does the bestiary contain all the creatures found in the Great Modron March and Dead Gods??
All? ALL????

Then you found a customer.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

Mercurius

Legend
I'd like to see some kind of Planescape-Spelljammer hybrid, with Sigil and the Outlands being a floating disc in the Astral Sea, with docks with Spelljammer style ships, including githyanki pirates.

A Manual of the Planes seems a must, but I doubt we'll see one. But we may see a story arc with extensive planar rules and a Sigil/Outlands mega-appendix.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads