• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Product Chart - Updated 4/21/22

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh right, the bestiary - forgot about that. OK, you win ;).

But I think your approach would definitely necessitate a later manual of some kind.
I mean, probably not: the Planes are already detailed in the DMG, and people have been using those alone for 8 years.

My guess is that such a slipcase wouldn't cover Sigil AND the Great Wheel, at least not "properly." I think it would look something like this:

Sigil book - details Sigil, the Outlands, and Factions
Adventure book - a series of maybe a dozen adventures, about half of which are focused on Sigil and the Outlands, and the other half as forays into various planes - so there would be info on some planes, but not the whole shebang.
Splat - Guide to character creation, options, maybe some rules on planar travel.

Full coverage of the planes would have to wait for a hypothetical Manual of the Multiverse book. Or some such.
In order to do Planescape "right", you kind of need to cover both Sigil and the Great Wheel, at least to a general "Manual of the Planes" level - much as I might wish for full-on "Planes of X", that'll never happen...

Sigil's fascinating on its own, sure, but there's little point in setting up a hub from which you can go anywhere if you don't also offer a robust selection of places you can go... That's why my general assumption has been that if/when we got a Planescape book, it would be as a single-book 5e MotP equivalent.

The introduction of slipcase sets a la Spelljammer offers a different approach for them to take, but I still think both the City of Doors and the planes at large are fundamentally necessary to any Planescape release.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In order to do Planescape "right", you kind of need to cover both Sigil and the Great Wheel, at least to a general "Manual of the Planes" level - much as I might wish for full-on "Planes of X", that'll never happen...

Sigil's fascinating on its own, sure, but there's little point in setting up a hub from which you can go anywhere if you don't also offer a robust selection of places you can go... That's why my general assumption has been that if/when we got a Planescape book, it would be as a single-book 5e MotP equivalent.

The introduction of slipcase sets a la Spelljammer offers a different approach for them to take, but I still think both the City of Doors and the planes at large are fundamentally necessary to any Planescape release.
That's what the Adventure can accomplish, in conjunction with the DMG.

That's what the Adventure can accomplish, in conjunction with the DMG.
The DMG entries for the planes are pretty bare-bones, and while an adventure book is great for exploring a number of small areas, I don't know that it would be able to give an overview of every layer of every plane (or some noteworthy layers, in the case of the Abyss) with lots of locations to work with - ultimately, I think it just requires a proper gazetteer-type book...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The DMG entries for the planes are pretty bare-bones, and while an adventure book is great for exploring a number of small areas, I don't know that it would be able to give an overview of every layer of every plane (or some noteworthy layers, in the case of the Abyss) with lots of locations to work with - ultimately, I think it just requires a proper gazetteer-type book...
"requires" or "needs" is strong language.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
My guess is that such a slipcase wouldn't cover Sigil AND the Great Wheel, at least not "properly." I think it would look something like this:

Sigil book - details Sigil, the Outlands, and Factions
Adventure book - a series of maybe a dozen adventures, about half of which are focused on Sigil and the Outlands, and the other half as forays into various planes - so there would be info on some planes, but not the whole shebang.
Splat - Guide to character creation, options, maybe some rules on planar travel.

Full coverage of the planes would have to wait for a hypothetical Manual of the Multiverse book. Or some such.
I actually think an initial Planescape book would be best suited as an Adventure rather than as a slipcase volume. A big adventure involving Sigil, the gate-towns and a few of the planes.

Then follow it up with a setting book like Van Richten's guide. I'm thinking the Curse of Strahd/Van Richten's Guide pairing would be a good way to handle Planescape. (I know that was largely accidental and not planned on their part, but it worked and I think they should think about ways to do it more often).

Given that there are 12 Modules in 64 pages, the Essentials Kit booklet Dragon of Icepire Peak is probably an apt comparison...but with more space travel.
The expansion set is around a third of the price, and has digital content up to level 12.

Some of the classic modules where around that size. I'm fine with it in principle but it doesn't seem like value for money to me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The expansion set is around a third of the price, and has digital content up to level 12.

Some of the classic modules where around that size. I'm fine with it in principle but it doesn't seem like value for money to me.
Well, I can't strictly disagree. I'm feeling it, since 3 $25 level books plus a $25 DM screen are attractive to me.

Well, I can't strictly disagree. I'm feeling it, since 3 $25 level books plus a $25 DM screen are attractive to me.
The books are listed as 64 pages each though. If that's accurate that's about the size of a Christmas annual, and about half the size of one regular book in total. Fripperies like DM's screens (I've never used one) and poster maps don't do anything for me.

Remove ads