5E Rises But Still Trails Pathinder For Online Games

The Orr Group, the folks who make the popular ENnie-winning Roll20 virtual tabletop application, has released a new set of figures relating to which games are being played on their service. Last time, Pathfinder had a massive lead; in Quarter 4 2014 D&D 5E has increased its share from 16% to 24% of players, but Pathfinder has managed to hang on to that lead, remaining at about 43% of players.

The Orr Group, the folks who make the popular ENnie-winning Roll20 virtual tabletop application, has released a new set of figures relating to which games are being played on their service. Last time, Pathfinder had a massive lead; in Quarter 4 2014 D&D 5E has increased its share from 16% to 24% of players, but Pathfinder has managed to hang on to that lead, remaining at about 43% of players.

Of course, you can spin stats to prove any conclusion you wish (for example, you could say that D&D games of all editions have 45% of the total, giving that brand a clear lead, if not specifically 5E), so we should be cautious about proclaiming anything definitive.

Fantasy Grounds also released stats last quarter (you can see both Roll20 and FG's stats for last quarter here), so it will be interesting to see what they have to say. Plus a new ICv2 report is due soonish.

Conversely, EN World's hot games chart, which tracks traffic on over a thousand sites and forums, gives D&D 5E 48% of web discussion. So it's clearly a hot topic!

tumblr_inline_ni3likkBaM1qiqv4j.png

Krypter

Explorer
I'm surprised 5E is as popular on roll20 as it is. Consider that those playing 5E online are receiving little-to-no electronic adventure support from wotc; whereas those playing earlier editions and Pathfinder have bucket-loads of pdfs available to them.

There are bucket-loads of 5E Expeditions PDF adventures via the Adventurers' League.

turkeygiant

First Post
Well, not bucketloads, but a few. If you can get them - they aren't publicly available.

This drives me up the wall, I get that the encounters are meant to be used in brick and mortar stores, but I don't have one in my area, our game takes place at the dinning room table. What would be the harm in sharing the encounters with everyone?

Gecko85

Explorer
you want to know why you see this?

because D&D's living campaign is store only... IF it was more accessible to the player base you would see the @$%!$@ played out of it.

I have said it once, and I will say it again.... making adventures league store only is a HUGE tactical error
Adventurers League is NOT store only. From the AL website, first page:

Private play includes home play and online play. Adventures themed around the current D&D storyline are considered official for D&D Adventurers League, so if you’re playing at home, you can still participate by picking up these adventures (for the first storyline, Hoard of the Dragon Queen and the Rise of Tiamat are available). You can bring their characters to a store or convention later on to participate in D&D Expeditions adventures.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Private play includes home play and online play. Adventures themed around the current D&D storyline are considered official for D&D Adventurers League, so if you’re playing at home, you can still participate by picking up these adventures (for the first storyline, Hoard of the Dragon Queen and the Rise of Tiamat are available). You can bring their characters to a store or convention later on to participate in D&D Expeditions adventures.

As it says, only HotDQ and RoT are available publicly - the same two books you can buy in stores. All the others you can't get.

sidonunspa

First Post

there is a stark difference between being able to play a 4 hr slot and signing up for a mega adventure

on line games excel at the 4hr time slot... its the kind of play where every time you play a new adventure it may be with new players or even a new GM

signing up for the mega-adventure is a huge commitment

apples and oranges

MoutonRustique

Explorer
I wonder if the ease with which old school D&D is run without a battlemap and minis means that 5E is not yet as big a deal on this VTT as the rest of the buzz online would seem to suggest?

I know I am just running my 5E game on Skype and not bothering with anything more complicated that posting cut sections of the map as the PCs explore.

Of course, now I am trying to work out to run 4E the same way.... :)
Use 13th Age's "proximity" descriptors as substitutes for standard ranges and effects :
- push 1 becomes "pops free of all foes"
- shift 1-2 becomes "can disengage as a free action"
- close burst and blast become "close attacks"
- ranged 5 and less are also "close"
- ranged 10 are "far"
- etc.

This works pretty seamlessly.

fjw70

Adventurer
O
I wonder if the ease with which old school D&D is run without a battlemap and minis means that 5E is not yet as big a deal on this VTT as the rest of the buzz online would seem to suggest?

I know I am just running my 5E game on Skype and not bothering with anything more complicated that posting cut sections of the map as the PCs explore.

Of course, now I am trying to work out to run 4E the same way.... :)

This is probably a signidicant factor.

Remove ads

Remove ads