[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION], how's this for the magic engagement ring?

363e2838207dfebfb237f5e23b03b488.jpg

Hélène Leblanc's Engagement Ring
Ring, rare (requires attunement)

When Blaise fled his arranged engagement to Hélène Leblanc, he left an idealistic woman who, even if she did not love him yet, believed they one day could be happy. A woman of great devotion, Hélène prayed everyday for his safety at sea, imbuing her fervent prayers into a gold and silver engagement band for her fiancee. Even when she discovered Blaise's intention to flee, Hélène secreted the ring into his traveling bags with a note declaring that she would redeem his lost soul. Five years later, and Blaise does not know what became of the woman he jilted.

The ring grants Blaise immunity to all forms of possession. Additionally, when a creature attempts to possess him, Blaise can choose to momentarily lower his guard, allowing him to make an opposed Charisma check in an attempt to gain insight into the creature. If he succeeds, he learns the creature's name, type, alignment, and one other detail at the DM's discretion (usually about how its possession powers work). If he fails, Blaise takes 3 (1d6) psychic damage for each level or Hit Die the creature has greater than his own level (minimum 1d6 damage).

Curse of Fidelity. Blaise cannot remove the ring and any oath he swears functions as per the geas spell, with the same consequences for reneging on his oath. Abandoning his marriage doesn't count, for story reasons.

Matthan

Explorer
First, that's awesome.

Second, does Blaise know the cursed part or is that a shoe waiting to drop when he makes an oath? Both options will be fun to play so I'm good either way.

Quickleaf

Legend
First, that's awesome.

Second, does Blaise know the cursed part or is that a shoe waiting to drop when he makes an oath? Both options will be fun to play so I'm good either way.

Either way works, I guess it depends on whether you see Blaise as having made any oaths since fleeing his arranged marriage? If "yes" then he knows about the curse. If "no" then he doesn't know.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Okee dokee. I am leaving in the early morning for surgery, where I shall be installing my new and improved bionic knee. I expect to be able to leap buildings in a single bound, though that may take some mortal PT to get there.

So, I will be in the hospital recovering for some time while avoiding the enemies who want this new technology and want to cause me pain (okay, previously mentioned PT peeps). When I return I shall be doped up and will need my fellow pirates to help out outsmart Blackbeard, who just dropped some boatblocks of epic proportions on us. Hey, YOU guys didn't want to steal it...

So, we can do planning here or we can just deal with my doped up ramblings (I believe some of you have seen them before... :angel: )

Savvy? ;)

Shayuri

First Post
It's all good. He's asking for something that's more or less what we're already doing...and 'a share of the loot' is not a bad price for the ship (depending on the nature of the share he's asking for of course). I think we can work with this offer, though I do plan to make one of those rolls and see what he's up to...

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Actually, I just saw that! A few posts had been on another page on my ipad so I hadn't seen Blackbeard's next offer. #Firstworldproblems

Matthan

Explorer
Just putting this here for reference, but for the record, Blaise is not sure at all that magic works the way he told Blackbeard. He just spun a yarn that he hoped would get him what he wanted. He doesn't have super secret magic knowledge. He just has a complete lack of shame when it comes to lying.

Remove ads