Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 26

Omand

Hero
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 21
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 38
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 38 - 2 = 36
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 35
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 26 + 1 = 27

I never played 2E, hence my down vote. But I can say it does seem to have created a lot of material that people are still passionate about and remember fondly.

Cheers :)

Yardiff

Adventurer
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 21+1=22
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 36
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 27-2=25

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 23
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 23

Already voted today, so I won't vote, but I will make a prediction: I think neither AD&D 1st Edition or D&D 5th Edition will win. It's going to be a race betwen one flavour of Basic or AD&D 2nd Edition.

I haven't played those editions but those editions have had a long legacy, and dominated in the 90s; it makes sense they would have a big influence here.

Fancifulhat

Villager
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 21
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 24

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 22
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 34

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 22
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 34
As someone who played a lot of 1st edition and 2nd edition...a lot. And, who created binders worth of spells and fun optional rules for 2nd edition in particular and loved it to death, I am a bit stunned to be seeing these votes so far. To each their own, but I find 5th edition so much more elegant, easy to run and play, and so much more flexible than 1st or 2nd edition. Of course, it is built on all previous versions of D&D and would not exist without them...but I find this fascinating.

By the way, I am not voting because I am interested in observing how this game plays out without my votes.

Cheers!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Already voted today, so I won't vote, but I will make a prediction: I think neither AD&D 1st Edition or D&D 5th Edition will win. It's going to be a race between one flavour of Basic or AD&D 2nd Edition.

I haven't played those editions but those editions have had a long legacy, and dominated in the 90s; it makes sense they would have a big influence here.
Yeah, it's really odd. The edition that got most old-timers into the game (AD&D) along with the edition that got most new players into the game (5E). I wonder if, in a generation or so, there will be similar backlash against 5E as there is against AD&D now. So odd.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
As may be evident, I am a staunch supporter of 1e, but this sudden swell of attacks against 1e means I may have to choose a new edition to support. :unsure:

It's a tough one, because at this point all of the editions I objectively dislike are gone, and we're left with all the ones I like!

BECMI was my first, and got me into the game as an impressionable youth, and the Rules Cyclopedia is a fantastic compilation of such. 2nd Ed was my go-to for 30 years! But 5e has grown on me, and I have come to... do I really have to say it...? Fine... I've to come actually...<coughcough> like it. <coughcough>

Should 1e go down, do I abandon the old-school ship and cast my lot with 5e? Or do I jump to 2e for all the good times I had... or support my BECMI for pure sentiment!

Stressed Ash Williams GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

Remove ads