D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My prediction is that BECMI or RC will win. I have been voting 2E, but if a non "Advanced" version has to win I prefer the former if only because it includes the Immortal rules and the latter did not.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if I were going to go back to a previous edition it'd probably be 2E (I play 5E exclusively right now), in part because incorporating 1E stuff into it so easy - even easier than the reverse (2E stuff into 1E). That said, if I could get newer players to not scoff at the idea of "Elf" and "Dwarf" etc. . . as classes I'd go BECMI/RC.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
@Esbee Yeah, it's a tough one. I'm voting purely for nostalgia: BECM was my first D&D edition to play, it's the one I've played the longest, and it's the one that I have the fondest memories attached to. (It has the best artwork and campaign setting, too, IMO.)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
My prediction is that BECMI or RC will win. I have been voting 2E, but if a non "Advanced" version has to win I prefer the former if only because it includes the Immortal rules and the latter did not.

I have said it before and I will say it again, if I were going to go back to a previous edition it'd probably be 2E (I play 5E exclusively right now), in part because incorporating 1E stuff into it so easy - even easier than the reverse (2E stuff into 1E). That said, if I could get newer players to not scoff at the idea of "Elf" and "Dwarf" etc. . . as classes I'd go BECMI/RC.
Check out Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy. It uses B/X as the base and includes AD&D classes and races but also splits race from class. It also has rules for using either descending or ascending armor class. You might dig it.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Check out Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy. It uses B/X as the base and includes AD&D classes and races but also splits race from class. It also has rules for using either descending or ascending armor class. You might dig it.

I think I have a PDF of quick start rules for that or something similar? I need to check. But I guess part of the appeal of BECMI to me is that dwarf and elf, etc are classes!

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 20
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 38
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 34
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 36
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 24

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think I have a PDF of quick start rules for that or something similar? I need to check. But I guess part of the appeal of BECMI to me is that dwarf and elf, etc are classes!
OSE actually has a lot of AD&D material converted to race-as-class (like svirfneblin, half-elves and half-orcs), but also has optional rules if you want to do race/class separately like AD&D.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Old-School Essentials Basic Fantasy does exactly that. You were lamenting convincing new players to try race as class. OSE Advanced Fantasy splits the difference by including both as options. Race as class and race separate from class.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 38 -2 = 36
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 36
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 24 +1 = 25

I had thought all the variations of AD&D might split the grognard (up)vote, but it looks like instead it’s splitting the 5e player downvote, while the grogs can concentrate all their downvotes on the lone remaining WotC edition.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 36
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 34
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 26

pming

Legend
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 20+ 1 = 21
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 36