D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Hello everyone, it's time for another Survivor thread! As you already know, I'll be taking over the Survivor 5E Threads for a little while...so if you have any suggestions for upcoming topics, feel free to DM me.

Buckle up, fans. We're going there. Yes, there.

-----

This thread is inspired by prior threads that we've done. And this time around, we are taking a look at every edition of D&D through the years...from the earliest editions to the latest.

Oh don't act so surprised. We've been tiptoeing around this one for quite some time, even staging some thinly-veiled mockups and test-runs that skated pretty close to it (artists? dungeon masters? adventures?) We weren't fooling anybody. I am well aware of what some of use were really voting for. Now I'm just going to make it official.

First: a Note
This is a Positive Only thread. You know it because of the plus-sign in the thread title. You are more than welcome to upvote and downvote any edition for any reason that you please, but keep the banter and discussion positive, light, and fun. We aren't here to dump on anyone else's good time, right? That's something that jerks do. And you aren't a jerk, right?

The Rules and Stuff
  • Each edition of D&D will start with 50 points. This higher starting score is intentional because the list is so much shorter, and because I don't want anyone's favorite edition getting steamrolled and eliminated by a gang of detractors in the middle of the night on the first week.
  • You vote for one edition that you like, which gains 1 point. And then you vote for a different edition that you dislike, which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote - first, because it takes something extra to whittle these guys down to size. Second, because.
  • Upvotes are in green, and downvotes are in red (unless you are on your phone, and are unable to).
  • Copy and paste the previous poster’s vote and change the numbers.
  • You may vote once per day in each category. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day.
This is purely a popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to - explanations are where the fun is! When downvotes reach 0 the option/variant is removed from the list (FATALITY!). Finally, if an entry has one vote left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you can't upvote and downvote the same entry (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.

The Most Important Bits
Three FOUR important points that you must read before voting--

1. This is a pure popularity contest, and is meant to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want; spite, irrational love or hatred, huge creature envy, gameplay mechanics, barometric pressure, coin flips, strategic voting, and so on are all perfectly acceptable. You can comment for the reasons for your vote, or not - up to you! But this is for enjoyment only.

2. This is a list of editions of D&D, from the very first edition published in 1974 to the most recent 5th Edition that was published in 2016. It also includes Pathfinder, because (1) a lot of folks regard it as a "3.75 Edition" of D&D, and (2) I wanted to.

3. As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to /dev/null.

4. For some reason, this is a heated and contentious topic on these forums...more so than any other. There is a tendency for people to shed their humanity and start attacking each other over this particular topic, and I have no idea why, how it starts, or how to keep it from happening. So before I kick this silly little contest off, allow me to offer a bit of advice: if you feel the urge to insult or attack other people, resist it. Even if you believe you can pass it off "as a joke" or an attempt at "being funny," resist it.

Anyway. Onward to the contest!

THE LIST
in Chronological Order

=====================================
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition (2014) WINNER
====================================

Pathfinder 2nd Edition (2019) (Post #141) FIRST ELIMINATION
Pathfinder (2009) (Post #238)
Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition (2000) (Post #287)
Classic Dungeons & Dragons (1994) (Post #351)
Dungeons & Dragons, Essentials (2010) (Post #436)
Original Dungeons and Dragons (1974) (Post #459)
Dungeons & Dragons, 3.5 Edition (2003) (Post #598)
Basic Dungeons and Dragons (1977) (Post #649)
Dungeons & Dragons, 4th Edition (2008) (Post #697)
B/X Dungeons and Dragons (1981) (Post #769)
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1977) (Post #901)
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition (1991) (Post #960)
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons (1983) (Post #1069)
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition (1989) (Post #1107)

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Original Dungeons and Dragons 50
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 50
Basic Dungeons and Dragons 50
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 50
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 50+1=51
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 50
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Companion Edition 50
Classic Dungeons & Dragons 50
Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition 50
Dungeons & Dragons, 3.5 Edition 50
Dungeons & Dragons, 4th Edition 50
Pathfinder 50
Dungeons & Dragons, Essentials 50-2=48
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 50
Pathfinder 2nd Edition 50

Lyxen

Great Old One
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 51
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 50 - 2 = 48
Dungeons & Dragons, 4th Edition 50
Pathfinder 50
Dungeons & Dragons, Essentials 48
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 50 +1 =51
Pathfinder 2nd Edition 50

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's no secret that my favorite edition of all time is BECM. (And I intentionally drop the "I" from the end of that acronym, because I never played the Immortals boxed set, and never had any desire to start.) So it's going to be my champion in this contest: it's the first version of the game I ever played, it's the first edition that I ever owned, and it's the edition of the game that I have the fondest memories of playing. In my opinion it has the perfect balance of crunch and fluff, it has the best interior artwork, and it has the best campaign setting. To me, it's perfect.

My second-favorite would be the Rules Cyclopedia version. (It would have been my top favorite, if the interior artwork had been better.)

All other editions tie for 3rd place, in my book. I mean no disrespect to anyone else's favorites; the evolution of this game is fascinating and there is room for all differences of opinion on this list. The only flaw in these other editions that I can find is that they aren't BECM. (shrug) And that's not really a bad thing.

Omand

Hero
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 51
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 48