D&D General 5E Survivor: Named Dragons - BAHAMUT SHINES!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Hello everyone, it's time for another Survivor thread! As you already know, I'll be taking over the Survivor 5E Threads for a little while...so if you have any suggestions for upcoming topics, feel free to DM me.

-----

This thread is inspired by prior threads that we've done. And this time around, we are taking a look at a selection of "named" dragons in Dungeons & Dragons: dragons that are special and important enough to merit their own proper names.

I tried to keep it as edition-neutral and campaign-generic as possible, for obvious reasons (pick any of the following: we just finished an "edition war" thread and I don't want to rehash it; I didn't want a list of 200+ entries; this isn't another Dragonlance vs. Forgotten Realms contest; nobody cares about more than a dozen dragons anyway; etc.)

The Rules and Stuff
  • Each dragon will start with 20 points.
  • You vote for one dragon that you like, which gains 1 point. And then you vote for a different dragon that you dislike, which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote - first, because it takes something extra to whittle these guys down to size. Second, because.
  • Upvotes are in green, and downvotes are in red (unless you are on your phone, and are unable to).
  • Copy and paste the previous poster’s vote and change the numbers.
  • You may vote once per day in each category. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day. Rule of thumb: if your most recent vote post says "yesterday" in the date tag, you can vote again.
This is purely a popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to - explanations are where the fun is! When downvotes reach 0 the option/variant is removed from the list (FATALITY!). Finally, if an entry has one vote left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you can't upvote and downvote the same entry (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.

The Most Important Bits
Three important points that you must read before voting--

1. This is a pure popularity contest, and is meant to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want; spite, irrational love or hatred, huge creature envy, gameplay mechanics, barometric pressure, coin flips, strategic voting, and so on are all perfectly acceptable. You can comment for the reasons for your vote, or not - up to you! But this is for enjoyment only.

2. This is a list of the most popular "named" dragons in the D&D canon. If a dragon was special enough to be given a proper name, and has a well-established place in the history of the hobby and the game lore, it probably made it to this list. But not every named dragon could be included, because the list would be over a hundred entries long and nobody has time for that. So I picked some dragons that I thought would make a fun list with interesting discussion. If your favorite was missed, I apologize.

3. As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to /dev/null.

So. Onward to the contest!

THE LIST
in Alphabetical Order

=====================================
Aasterinian
Andraemos
Arauthator
Ashardalon
Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon
Borys
Brazzemel
Capnolithyl
Chronepsis
Cyan Bloodbane
Dragotha, the Death Dragon
Dregoth
Faluzure
Graughlothor
Gulgol, the Lizard Queen
Io
Klauth
Jalanvaloss, the Steel Dragon
Nefermandias, the Forsaken Pharoah
Niflung, the Cobalt Dragon
Rime
Sardior
Silvara
Tiamat
Valamaradace
Voaraghamanthar
Waervaerendor
Zebukiel, the Gray Worm

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Aasterinian 20
Andraemos 20
Arauthator 20
Ashardalon 20
Bahamut 20
Borys 20
Brazzemel 20
Capnolithyl 20
Chronepsis 20
Cyan Bloodbane 20
Dragotha 20
Dregoth 20
Faluzure 20
Graughlothor 20
Gulgol 20
Io 20 + 1 = 21
Klauth 20
Jalanvaloss 20
Nefermandias 20
Niflung 20
Rime 20
Sardior 20
Silvara 20
Tiamat 20
Valamaradace 20 - 2 = 18
Voaraghamanthar 20
Waervaerendor 20
Zebukiel 20

OB1

Jedi Master
Aasterinian 20
Andraemos 20
Arauthator 20
Ashardalon 20
Bahamut 20
Borys 20
Brazzemel 20
Capnolithyl 20
Chronepsis 20+1=21
Cyan Bloodbane 20
Dragotha 20
Dregoth 20
Faluzure 20
Graughlothor 20
Gulgol 20
Io 20 21
Klauth 20
Jalanvaloss 20
Nefermandias 20
Niflung 20
Rime 20
Sardior 20
Silvara 20
Tiamat 20
Valamaradace 18-2=16
Voaraghamanthar 20
Waervaerendor 20
Zebukiel 20

Scribe

Legend
Kitiara's dragons are not on this list...

Aasterinian 20
Andraemos 20
Arauthator 20
Ashardalon 20
Bahamut 20
Borys 20
Brazzemel 20
Capnolithyl 20
Chronepsis 21
Cyan Bloodbane 21
Dragotha 20
Dregoth 20
Faluzure 20
Graughlothor 20
Gulgol 20
Io 21
Klauth 20
Jalanvaloss 20
Nefermandias 20
Niflung 20
Rime 18
Sardior 20
Silvara 20
Tiamat 20
Valamaradace 16
Voaraghamanthar 20
Waervaerendor 20
Zebukiel 20

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The dragons of Faerun, Dragonlance, Eberron, Dark Sun, etc. aren't included on the list because they are a bit too campaign-specific (but there's a lot of overlap), so if you're looking for a particular dragon that didn't make the list, that could be why.

Or I could have just straight-up missed it. I'm confident I got most of the heavy-hitters and big names, though...there's almost 30 of these suckers. But if your favorite dragon is in the D&D canon and I missed it, I apologize.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
Or I could have just straight-up missed it. I'm confident I got most of the heavy-hitters and big names, though...there's almost 30 of these suckers. But if your favorite dragon is in the D&D canon and I missed it, I apologize.
Sure, as you said, the list is the list. I just mentioned that because there were no Eberron dragons in the list, and at least one of them is classified in Fizban's as a greatwyrm. It's hard to get everyone's favorite in this lists.

Remove ads