D&D 5E 5E Survivor of Many Things - Deck of Many Things

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I feel like starting one of these that might destroy the whole campaignconcept.

@CleverNickName said they wouldn't do another thread and in the Companion thread people wondered if there could be another. I thought we'd exhausted the options, but then a stranger appeared with a multi-colored box. "Dare you to enter my magical realm?" he asked, and then, without waiting, opened the box and dealt me some cards.

Here's a list of the cards in a deck of many things from core 5th Edition D&D; however, there have been no changes to the actual card names, just what they do, over the editions. There are not that many of them; EGG wrote 22 and then asked how many were in a tarot deck. Upon being told there were 78 cards, he uttered his famous catchphrase, "It's Miller Time!" and sent the DMG off to the printers.

You all know the rules by now, but I'll post them here anyway just in case.

HOW TO PLAY
  • Only the cards that were published in print by Wizards of the Coast are included. Third-party publishers, or materials that were only released electronically, are not included.
  • Each entry starts with 20 points.
  • Every day, you vote for one card that you like, which gains 1 point. And then you vote for a different card, which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote, because math.
  • Mark your upvotes in green, and downvotes in red. Or just show them in bold text and use "+1" and "-2" to mark them, if colored text is too difficult on your browsing device.
  • It's easier if you just copy and paste the previous poster’s vote and change the numbers; the Quote function isn't the best for this.
  • You may vote only once per day. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day. Rule of thumb: if your most recent vote post says "yesterday" in the time stamp, you can vote again.
  • This is just another Internet popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to do so...those explanations are where the fun is! And the more outlandish, petty, or nitpicky your reasons for voting, the better!
  • When downvotes reach 0 the card is removed from the list.
  • Finally, if an entry has one point left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you can't upvote and downvote the same entry (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.
THE MOST IMPORTANT BITS
Three important points that you must read before voting--
  • This is just a popularity contest, and it's supposed to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want; a card that destroyed your campaign, a card that didn't destroy your campaign, a card that reminds you of your favorite TV show, whatever. But this is for enjoyment only. If you experience anger, hostility, or other evidence of Not Having Fun, you're doing it wrong.
  • As far as I can tell, the base card list in the core books has never been modified by either TSR or Wizards, other than additions and replacements in various Dragon magazine articles and elsewhere.
  • As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to //dev/null.
So. Onward to the contest!

This list only includes the cards that were released in print by TSR and Wizards of the Coast. There have been... A LOT... of deck of many things cards and alternatives published for the different flavors of D&D and various D&D-alikes. At one time I compiled a list, and quit when it reached 40 or so pages. We all have lives outside the forums (... I hope) and, to keep this moving in a timely and rapid fashion, I have limited the list to only the core 22 cards.

Ultimately, the whole point of this thread is to have fun discussing the powers of the cards. Some people really want this to be a "Best In Show" contest, and they get really worked up when (not 'if') their favorites get eliminated (I am sometimes one of those people). But hopefully we have all figured out how this works by now. For the newly-initiated, remember that this is not an election, nor is it a survey or a job evaluation. Frankly, this is a celebration of the hard work @CleverNickName put into these threads.

LIST OF CARDS IN THE DECK OF MANY THINGS IN 5E D&D
(as of June 14, 2023)

Balance - Change alignment instantly.
Comet - Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level.
Donjon - You are imprisoned.
Eurayle - Gain a penalty on all saving throws henceforth.
The Fates - Avoid any situation you choose, once.
Flames - Enmity between you and an outsider.
Fool - Lose experience points and you must draw again.
Gem - Gain your choice of jewelry or gems.
Idiot - Lose points of Intelligence. You may draw again.
Jester - Gain experience points or two more draws from the deck.
Key - Gain a magic weapon.
Knight - Gain the service of a Hero or Superhero.
Moon - You are granted one or more wishes.
Rogue - One of your friends turns against you.
Ruin - Immediately lose all wealth and property.
Skull - Defeat death or be forever destroyed.
Star - Immediately gain a bonus to one ability score.
Sun - Gain a beneficial magic item and experience points.
Talons - All magic items you possess disappear permanently.
Throne - Gain some leadership ability and a small castle.
Vizier - Know the answer to your next dilemma.
The Void - Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Balance 20
Comet 20
Donjon 20
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 20
Fool 20
Gem 20
Idiot 20 - 2 = 18
Jester 20
Key 20
Knight 20 + 1 = 21
Moon 20
Rogue 20
Ruin 20
Skull 20
Star 20
Sun 20
Talons 20
Throne 20
Vizier 20
The Void 20

EDIT: Thanks @chrisrtld ! Having baby = no sleep...

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Balance 20 - 2 - 18 There are so many reasons you don't deserve to exist. I will pour ll of my malice into destroying you.
Comet 20
Donjon 20
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 20
Fool 20
Gem 20
Idiot 19
Jester 20
Key 20
Knight 21 + 1 = 22 Best is best.
Moon 20
Rogue 20
Ruin 20
Skull 20
Star 20
Sun 20
Talons 20
Throne 20
Vizier 20
The Void 20

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Balance 18
Comet 20
Donjon 20
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 20
Fool 20
Gem 20
Idiot 16 - fixed mistake from the very first vote! :rolleyes:
Jester 20
Key 20
Knight 22
Moon 21
Rogue 20
Ruin 20
Skull 20
Star 20
Sun 20
Talons 20
Throne 20
Vizier 20
The Void 20

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Balance 18
Comet 20
Donjon 20
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 20
Fool 20
Gem 20
Idiot 16
Jester 20
Key 20
Knight 22
Moon 21
Rogue 20
Ruin 20+1=21 The hardest that I've ever laughed at one of my players.
Skull 20
Star 20
Sun 20
Talons 20
Throne 20
Vizier 20
The Void 20-2=18 Destroyer of worlds

greg kaye

Explorer
Balance 18
Comet 20
Donjon 20
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 20 +1 = 21 awesome
Fool 20
Gem 20 - 2 = 18 pretty dull
Idiot 16
Jester 20
Key 20
Knight 22
Moon 21
Rogue 20
Ruin 21
Skull 20
Star 20
Sun 20
Talons 20
Throne 20
Vizier 20
The Void 18

The Glen

Legend
Balance 18
Comet 20
Donjon 20
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 21
Fool 20
Gem 18
Idiot 16
Jester 20
Key 20
Knight 22
Moon 21
Rogue 20
Ruin 21
Skull 21
Star 20
Sun 20
Talons 20
Throne 20
Vizier 20
The Void 16 too close to real life

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"What‽‽‽ No Tarot of Many Things? Where is my Palladium Deck of Fate?"]This list only includes the cards that were released in print by TSR and Wizards of the Coast.
What a shame. The Tarot Deck of Many Things is my favorite incarnation.

I also assume that "in print" means in a DMG, since both Dragon Magazine 77 and The Encyclopedia Magica Volume I were in print by TSR. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Balance 18
Comet 20
Donjon 18
Eurayle 20
The Fates 20
Flames 21
Fool 20
Gem 18
Idiot 16
Jester 20