D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part I: Artificer) Battle Smith Advances!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Hello again everyone!

First, an apology: thanks for sticking with me as I took a brief hiatus from these threads; I knew that "million dollar Kickstarters" was a lame topic. But I needed a bit of time to compile the next set of challenges, and I honestly thought it would only take a week or two. Sorry about that; I'll do better going forward.

Now, allow me to introduce:

SURVIVOR: 5E CHARACTER CLASSES
Have you ever looked at the 120+ different classes and subclasses in the 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons game and wondered why on earth do we have so many classes which one would Survive a head-to-head contest against all of the others? Well, clearly I have. So that's what we're gonna find out.

I spent a good long while rummaging through the 5th Edition materials published by Wizards of the Coast, and I've compiled what I think might be the most comprehensive list of classes ever written. All materials written by Wizards of the Coast were included: the Core Rulebooks of course, but also rules expansions like Xanathar's Guide to Everything and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, official WotC campaign settings like Ravenloft and Ravnica, and even the abandoned subclass options from WotC's old Unearthed Arcana surveys. And now we're gonna throw them head-to-head, and see which one will Survive!

(Yes, I know that this has been done before, but dozens of new subclasses have been released in the years since. It's time to see how the old champs hold up.)

Round 1: The Artificer
This week, we are going to examine the Artificer class. Originally written as an Unearthed Arcana concept, it was later adopted for the Eberron campaign setting and then officially added in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. Being the newest character class for the game, there are only four subclasses available for the Artificer at this time: the Alchemist, the Armorer, the Artillerist, and the Battle Smith. And for the sake of completeness, I'm also including the abandoned Archivist subclass, from Unearthed Arcana.

The winner of this contest will advance to the Final Round, where it will represent ALL alchemists in 5th Edition D&D.

The Rules and Stuff
  • In this round, only the Artificer subclasses are presented.
  • Only the subclasses written by Wizards of the Coast qualify. No third-party entries!
  • Each entry starts with 20 points.
  • Every day, you vote for one subclass that you like, which gains 1 point. And then you vote for a different subclass, which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote - first, because it takes something extra to whittle these guys down to size. Second, because.
  • Mark your upvotes in green, and downvotes in red. Or just show them in bold text and use "+1" and "-2" to mark them, if colored text is too difficult on your browsing device.
  • It's easier if you just copy and paste the previous poster’s vote and change the numbers.
  • You may vote only once per day in each category. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day. Rule of thumb: if your most recent vote post says "yesterday" in the date tag, you can vote again.
  • This is purely a popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to - explanations are where the fun is! When downvotes reach 0 the subclass is removed from the list.
  • Finally, if an entry has one point left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you can't upvote and downvote the same entry (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.

The Most Important Bits
Three important points that you must read before voting--
  1. This is a pure popularity contest, and is meant to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want; spite, irrational love or hatred, steampunk vibes, irrational love or hatred of steampunk vibes, augury, explosive potential, strategic voting, and so on are all perfectly acceptable. You can comment for the reasons for your vote, or not - up to you! But this is for enjoyment only.
  2. This week (and the next few weeks to come) features a list of character subclasses from the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, Unearthed Arcana, and other places. Only the subclasses written by Wizards of the Coast are included.
  3. As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to /dev/null.
So. Onward to the contest! There are only five entries this time around, so it should go fairly quickly.

ARTIFICER SUBCLASSES
=====================================

Artificer, Alchemist (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)
Artificer, Archivist (Unearthed Arcana)
Artificer, Armorer (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)
Artificer, Artillerist (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)
Artificer, Battle Smith (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Artificer, Alchemist 20
Artificer, Archivist 20+1=21 It deserved a fair chance.
Artificer, Armorer 20
Aritifcer, Artillerist 20
Artificer, Battle Smith 20-2=18 Get out of here with your cheesy "pet cannon"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Artificer, Alchemist 18
Artificer, Archivist 19
Artificer, Armorer 21
Aritifcer, Artillerist 20
Artificer, Battle Smith 19

Omand

Hero
Artificer, Alchemist 18
Artificer, Archivist 19
Artificer, Armorer 21 + 1 = 22
Aritifcer, Artillerist 20 - 2 = 18

Artificer, Battle Smith 19

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Artificer, Alchemist 18 + 1 = 19
Artificer, Archivist 19
Artificer, Armorer 22
Aritifcer, Artillerist 18
Artificer, Battle Smith 19 - 2 = 17

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Artificer, Alchemist 18
Artificer, Archivist 19
Artificer, Armorer 22
Aritifcer, Artillerist 17
Artificer, Battle Smith 17

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Artificer, Alchemist 18
Artificer, Archivist 19
Artificer, Armorer 22 -2 = 20 --"Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"
Artificer, Artillerist 17
Artificer, Battle Smith 17 + 1 = 18 --Int to attack? Yes, please.

Remove ads