D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VII: Monks)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
What's funny is how people keep downvoting the short list and allowing Shadow to cruise to the end... I guess people are happy with it as a 2nd best choice. 🤷‍♂️

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm downvoting whatever's highest because at this point I don't much care who wins. All the actually interesting options got kicked out. Just trying to keep it interesting until the end.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
No surprise there. The Way of Shadow has been the highest or second-highest option for nearly the entire contest.
Sadly, in a certain sense, these "survivor" threads tend to favor the lowest common denominator. The initial few days of votes clear out the things that are either not generally liked at all, or super controversial. Once these easy pickings are removed, you see consolidation around two camps: the effective, and the traditional, for highly subjective definitions of both of those things. And, generally speaking, tradition will win out. It's why PHB options--when there are PHB options--are almost universally favored over non-PHB options. It's rare for a PHB option to be a true stinker (looking at you, Beast Master), but a lot of them are very "safe."

Essentially, because dislikes are 2x as powerful as likes, anything that is even mildly disliked, no matter what the reason or even for no reason, will evaporate in a puff of smoke. Anything that is blandly inoffensive is much more likely to survive to the final round, at which point all the stuff people felt strongly about will already be gone. And don't get me wrong, I get why dislikes have to be stronger than likes, we need the voting to end eventually. But the format essentially guarantees that anything novel or distinctive will get ground into the dust.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
"Cruise to the end"? It's been the highest or second-highest option for nearly the entire contest.
It is cruising now...

This was the last vote I saw this morning before heading off to work:
Drunken Master 5
Kensei 12
Open Hand 13
Shadow 13
Sun Soul 12

Since then it was downvoted once, but upvoted 3 times. Meanwhile, all the others are beating each other up and ignoring it. I'd call that cruising, yeah. If half the people since then had downvoted Shadow instead of Sun Soul, the scores would be almost even across the board.

The real battle has been people trying to get rid of Drunken Master and Open Hand, but there is so much love for those two that people are fighting for them tooth and nail (or should I say "hand and foot"?).

Basically this boils down to "Which of the one that I don't like would I be willing to accept as the winner?"

Remove ads