D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VII: Monks)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
@Ancalagon yeah, I'm with you on the flavor aspect of the Kensai, it's very anime. (If that's your thing; anime is very popular with my gaming group so we're all about the Kensai.) And yes the Drunken Master definitely has flavor, but it's not a good flavor. It feels to me like it was written by a 13-year old who has never been drunk and can't wait to have their first drink.

Anyway. Back to the game!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm just trying to see if we can get another non-PHB option on the winning list :p while down voting the basic Open Hand.
I can respect that.

respect GIF by Jaz Dhami

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Drunken Master 6 + 1 = 7 It's an ideal subclass. Finally, a reason to justify my day-drinking!
Kensei 7
Open Hand 11
Shadow 13 - 2 = 11 Yes, it's a trope. But maybe one we should leave behind?
Sun Soul 10

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
@Ancalagon yeah, I'm with you on the flavor aspect of the Kensai, it's very anime. (If that's your thing; anime is very popular with my gaming group so we're all about the Kensai.) And yes the Drunken Master definitely has flavor, but it's not a good flavor. It feels to me like it was written by a 13-year old who has never been drunk.

Anyway. Back to the game!
I guess I'll spoil this too
The Kensei can be anime, but doesn't have to be. My Kensei was an elf - all his "monk powers" were just elven techniques. The Drunken master is based on a real style Drunken boxing - Wikipedia . Re-reading it, it's... better than I remembered? I was mostly peeved by their re-direct action (which works best when you are surrounded by a number of foes, something you do not want as a monk... but the level 3 features are decent.

I was gonna ask the same about Drunken Master.

Sun Soul has gotten 5 upvotes in the last 24 hours, compared to 14 upvotes for the Drunken Master. I must be missing something, because both of these look very underwhelming to me.
The degeneracy of the archetype is appealing and Redirect Attack is very satisfying even if most of the mechanics are kinda meh.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I guess I can see why some folks might like the Drunken Master. I'm still going to downvote it into oblivion, as quickly as possible, as it deserves...but I can see why some folks might like it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Drunken Master 6
Kensei 7
Open Hand 11
Shadow 12
Sun Soul 8

I guess I can see why some folks might like the Drunken Master. I'm still going to downvote it into oblivion, as quickly as possible, as it deserves...but I can see why some folks might like it.
Drunken Master is a great class for new players as it enhances the Monk without being overcomplicated and needing gimmicky ‘ki is magic’. Its based on a real style of kung fu and a classic hong kong movie. Personally I cant understand why people wouldnt like it

Last edited:

Remove ads