D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VII: Monks)

Drunken Master 12
Kensei 21
Long Death 10 - 2 = 8..let's put your name to the test.
Open Hand 19
Shadow 23 + 1 = 24.. why yes, I do enjoy flexible, flavorful ki-less abilities
Sun Soul 22

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Drunken Master 8 + 1 = 9 You have to support the genre tropes!
Kensei 21
Long Death 9
Open Hand 17
Shadow 25 - 2 = 23 Too much of a cliche.
Sun Soul 23

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Will the final fight be between Shadow and Sun? Or will Kensei or Open Hand pull out the win?

most of what it can do should be core to the Monk...
Yeah, I agree, but since it isn't Open Hand will keep getting my vote. 🤷‍♂️

It does make me wonder, if people wanted martials to be a bit stronger, would it be good to grant those classes a "default" subclass as part of the core class, and then you get to choose a subclass on top of it as normal?

For example: make Open Hand part of the core Monk class, and then you get to pick a subclass as well.

For Fighter, perhaps Champion could be the default, or BM as a lot of people like that? Then choose a subclass on top of adding a default.

It does make me wonder, if people wanted martials to be a bit stronger, would it be good to grant those classes a "default" subclass as part of the core class, and then you get to choose a subclass on top of it as normal?
Combat isn't really the issue (though it would be nice if martials got options besides move&attack, by just bolting Battle Master to all of them). The problems come outside of combat, and few subclasses give you utility to do anything there. Shadow Monk at least does something in that regard? (by literally casting spells, so, uh, not an ideal solution for everyone)

Remove ads