D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
You did. I guess it's okay. But I don't see the marilith using teleport before it's done for.
No, that is a hold over from the MM statblock. I guess teh marilith could use it to pop into melee range from a hidden position. It makes some sense if the PCs are already facing a group of demons and then the marilith teleports in and changes the whole battle.

No, I read it right, then. So losing 5-6 reactions to get rid of some effect. Tough choice.
Yep, perhaps to harsh, I'll think about it.

dave2008

Legend
I want to say the target instead of "it". I read it multiple times and kept reading it as the nalfeshnee that somehow got a disadvantage.
I know there's nothing grammatical wrong, I just kept reading it so and a little change might help others - or me at least
I get it now, I've changed it as suggested. That is why it is always great to have another set of eyes look at these. Thanks!

dave2008

Legend
1627738762138.png

Unknown by unknow (at least by me)

Balor Executioner
Champion Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil
1600542971582.png

Armor Class 19 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 396 (22d12 + 132; bloodied 198)
Speed 50 ft., fly 90 ft.
1600542972673.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
28 (+9)17 (+3)23 (+6)20 (+5)18 (+4)22 (+6)
1600542973649.png

Savings Throws Str +15, Dex +9, Con +12, Wis +10, Cha +12
Skills Athletics +15, Intimidation +12, Perception +10
Damage Resistances cold, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 180 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Abyssal, telepathy 180 ft.
Challenge 19 (37,500 champion XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1600542975091.png

Chaos Lord (Champion Trait, recharges after a short or long rest). If the balor is bloodied, it can remove one condition or effect it is suffering and it can use its champion actions.

Death Throes. When the balor is reduced to 0 hit points, it dies, its weapons are destroyed, and it begins to implode. On its initiative count each round after it dies, the balor's body reduces by one size category. When the balor's body becomes Small, it explodes and each creature within a 60-foot radius of it must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 70 (20d6) fire damage* on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The explosion ignites the area for 1 minute. Any object in the area or creature the ends it turn in or adjacent to the area takes 10 (3d6) fire damage.

*This damage is not calculated as part of the balor's CR.

Executioner. The balor knows the health (current hit points and any conditions or effects it is suffering) of all creatures it can see within 60 feet of it.

Fire Aura. At the end of each of the balor's turns, each creature within 5 feet of it takes 10 (3d6) fire damage, and flammable objects in the aura that aren't being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the balor or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 10 (3d6) fire damage.

Magic Resistance. The balor has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the balor has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magic Weapons. The balor’s weapon attacks are magical and it can wield its greatsword in one hand.

Unstoppable. The balor can can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and end one condition or effect it is suffering.

Vicious Brute. The balor suffers a -2 penalty on its melee weapon attack rolls and deals two extra dice of its damage when it hits (included in the attack).

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The balor makes two melee attacks.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 30 (6d6 + 9) slashing damage plus 22 (5d8) lightning damage, or 76 (15d8 + 9) slashing damage plus 67 (15d8) lightning damage on a critical hit.

Whip. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d6 + 9) slashing damage plus 21 (6d6) fire damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 23 Strength saving throw or be grappled (DC 20 escape) and pulled up to 25 feet toward the balor. If a creature ends its turned grappled by the balor's whip, it takes 10 (3d6) fire damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (5d6 + 9) slashing damage plus 10 (3d6) fire damage and the creature must make a DC 23 Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet or knocked prone, the balor's choice.

Chaos Bolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +12 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: select one of the d8 damage die, the target takes 23 (2d8 + 4d6) damage of one of the following types based on the die selected: 1) acid, 2) cold, 3) fire, 4) force, 5) lightning, 6) poison, 7) psychic, or 8) thunder. If both of the initial d8 damage rolls are the same number, the balor can select another target within 30 feet of the original target and make the same attack against the new target.

Innate Spellcasting. The balor’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 20, +12 to hit with spell attacks). The balor can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.

At will: chaos bolt (see "Actions"), darkness, detect magic, dispel magic, suggestion, telekinesis
3/day each: lightning bolt (7th level), power word pain, teleport, wall of fire
1/day each: dominate monster, incendiary cloud

BONUS ACTIONS
Flames of the Abyss. For 1 minute after the first time the balor is bloodied, the range of its Fire Aura increase to 10 feet and the damage it inflicts increases to 14 (4d6) fire damage

Obscene Magic (1/Short Rest). The balor can cast an at will spell.

Teleport (Recharge 4-6). The balor magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.

CHAMPION ACTIONS
Once the balor's champion trait is activated it can take a champion action, choosing from the options below, in place of one of its standard actions on its turn.

Wing Buffet. The balor beats its wings, each creature within 15 feet of it must make a DC 23 Constitution saving throw or be incapacitated until the start of its next turn. The balor can then move up to half its speed.
Executioner's Sword (Recharge 5-6). The balor makes one of the following attacks.
  • Sweeping Blade. The balor makes a longsword attack against each creature within its reach.
  • Death Strike. The balor uses its longsword to attack a creature within its reach. On a hit, instead of taking damage as normal, if the target has 19 hit dice or less, it dies. Otherwise the target takes 100 slashing damage.

Last edited:

I forgot to add the "Gnaw" trait. It has been added now. Not sure why you think it needs to be better than torso bite, I see that as the more icon klurichir attack.
When I commented, I didn't know if the bite would end up using a bonus action or a reaction. If a reaction, it would need to be able to compete with torso bite.
Not relevant now.

Stalker0

Legend
Balor Scourge
Challenge 19 (25,000 XP)

This one isn't doing it for me at the moment, just feels very generic instead of the one the greater Demons that it would be. A few things off hand.

1) Death Throes should do more damage. This should be scary, omg run type of damage, not less than a fireball damage.

2) Maybe have the whip do some grappling, restraining

3) How about adding "Twinned" to Dominate Monster. In older versions he had that more at will, but twinned would give it some uniqueness and still work within the concentration schema. This would also gives me a different attack motiff than just danage,

So yeah there's just something here that feels missing.

dave2008

Legend
I have added and updated the fiends from my hardcore updates (and one new celestial:

Up next I will be working on some fiendish request until I start work on the dragons next weekend. After that, I will start working on converting the epic updates.

dave2008

Legend
This one isn't doing it for me at the moment, just feels very generic instead of the one the greater Demons that it would be. A few things off hand.
First, thank you as always for the comments. Before I get started with my response I want to explain that I want this balor to be bruiser, a "brute" in 4e terms. A simple heavy hitter. Not every high CR demon needs a bunch of tricks, IMO.

1) Death Throes should do more damage. This should be scary, omg run type of damage, not less than a fireball damage.
First I disagree, personally this one of the features I have always hated about the balor. However, to be honest, in 5e it is a CR thing. I checked the CR of the MM balor and the 70 avg damage of its death throes has a huge impact on its CR. That is why its regular attacks are so pathetic. I would much rather make the regular attacks stronger and death throes weaker. I would have eliminated it all together, but I felt it was kinda icon to the balor.

2) Maybe have the whip do some grappling, restraining
That is exactly what it does once its elite actions activate. So we are good there?
3) How about adding "Twinned" to Dominate Monster. In older versions he had that more at will, but twinned would give it some uniqueness and still work within the concentration schema. This would also gives me a different attack motiff than just danage,
I will think about. Personally I thought you would like "Death Strike." It is essentially an at will power word kill. Maybe I should eliminate the attack roll:sneaky:

Last edited:

Remove ads