D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
I have added links to all of @Demetrios1453 giants in the Table of Contents. I think these are great examples of how standard monsters can be mode more interesting and challenging. I am really found when there is a bit of a class "template" applied over the standard monster. Anyway, this is what I am looking for in updated / upgrading standard (non "elite" or mythic) monsters for this thread.

dave2008

Legend
1687172446359.png

Guardian of the Nile by Lucas Torquato

Phoenix Knight
Champion Medium humanoid (half elf), chaotic neutral
1599051270362.png

Armor Class 17 (breastplate + shield)
Hit Points 120 (12d8 + 24; bloodied 60)
Speed 30ft.
1599051271601.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
16 (+3)12 (+1)14 (+2)10 (+0)11 (+0)16 (+3)
1599051272873.png

Saving Throws Con +4, Wis+2
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5
Senses passive perception 10
Languages Common, Elven, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 3 (1,050 champion XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599051274761.png

Brave. The knight has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.

Blood of the Phoenix. The knights's weapon attacks are magical. When the knight hits with a melee weapon, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 fire damage (included in the attack)

Fiery Rebirth (Champion Trait, recharges after a short or long rest) If the knight is bloodied, it can remove one condition or effect it is suffering and it can use its champion actions.

Maneuvers (4 / Short Rest). The knight’s maneuver ability is Strength (maneuver save DC 13). The knight can use one of the following maneuvers on one attack:
  • Command Attack. The knight can use a bonus action and one attack of an attack action to direct a companion to strike. The knight chooses a friendly creature that can see or hear the knight to use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding 4 (1d8) to the attack’s damage roll on a hit.
  • Cleave. If there is a target adjacent to the initial target and the attack roll to hit the original target would hit the second target, the second target takes 4 (1d8) slashing damage.
  • Trip. The attack causes an additional 4(1d8) slashing damage, and if the target is Large or smaller it must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The knight makes two melee attacks.

Kopesh. Melee Weapon Attack. +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage plus 3 (1d6) fire damage.

Fire bolt. Ranged spell Attack. +5 to hit, range 120ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d10) fire damage. A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn’t being worn or carried.

Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). The knights's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13; +5 to hit with attack spells). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:

At will: firebolt (see actions), mage hand (the hand is invisible), mind sliver
3/day each: jump, detect thoughts

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the knight can utter a special command or warning whenever a non hostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the knight. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the knight is incapacitated.

REACTIONS
Psychic Shield. When the knight or an ally within 20 feet of it is hit an attack, the knight creates a shield of psychic flame, reducing the damage of the attack by 6 (1d6+3).

CHAMPION ACTIONS
Once the knight's champion trait is activated, on its initiative count +10 it can take one of the following actions.

Burning Touch. The knight can make the following attack. Melee Weapon Attack. +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target; Hit. 3 (1d6) fire damage and can't take reactions until the end of the knight's next turn.
Psionic Attack (Recharge 5-6). The knight uses one of the psionic abilities:
  • Psychic Blast. The knight releases a psychic scream in a 20-foot radius. All creatures if its choice within the area must make a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw, taking 17 (5d6) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.
  • Dominate. The knight selects one humanoid it can see within 15 feet of it. The creature must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed. While charmed this way, the knight controls the creature as if it was affected by the spell dominate person. At the end of each of the target's turns it can make another saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1627238857684.png

Ocypete by slshimedia

Harpy Bird Caller
Champion Medium monstrosity, chaotic evil
1599051270362.png

Armor Class 11 (16 w/ barksin)
Hit Points 61 (7d8 + 7; bloodied 30)
Speed 20ft., fly 60 ft.
1599051271601.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
12 (+1)13 (+1)12 (+1)7 (-2)11 (+0)15 (+2)
1599051272873.png

Saving Throws Dex +4, Wis+2, Cha +2
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidation +5, Persuasion +5
Senses passive perception 10
Languages Common
Challenge 2 (675 champion XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599051274761.png

Defiant Screech (Champion Trait, recharges after a short or long rest) If the harpy is bloodied, it can remove one condition or effect it is suffering and it can use its champion actions.

Dive. If the harpy is flying and dives at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a melee weapon attack, the attack deals an extra 9 (2d8) damage to the target.

Flyby. The harpy doesn't provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy's reach.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The harpy makes two attacks: one with its claws and one with its club.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (2d4 + 1) slashing damage. If the harpy hits the same target with two claw attacks on the same turn, it is also grappled.

Luring Song. The harpy sings a magical melody. Every humanoid and giant within 300 ft. of the harpy that can hear the song must succeed on a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed until the song ends. The harpy must take a bonus action on its subsequent turns to continue singing. It can stop singing at any time. The song ends if the harpy is incapacitated.
While charmed by the harpy, a target is incapacitated and ignores the songs of other harpies. If the charmed target is more than 5 ft. away from the harpy, the must move on its turn toward the harpy by the most direct route. It doesn't avoid opportunity attacks, but before moving into damaging terrain, such as lava or a pit, and whenever it takes damage from a source other than the harpy, a target can repeat the saving throw. A creature can also repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If a creature's saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it.
A target that successfully saves is immune to this harpy's song for the next 24 hours.

Innate Spellcasting. The harpy's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12; +4 to hit with attack spells). The harpy can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: detect magic, druidcraft
2/day each: counter spell, entangle, hunter’s mark
1/day each: barkskin

CHAMPION ACTIONS
Once the its champion trait is activated, on its initiative count +10 the harpy can take one of the following actions.

Wing Beats. The harpy beats its wings. Each creature within 10 ft. of the harpy must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. The harpy can then fly up to half its flying speed.
Summon Hawks. The harpy summons 1d4 blood hawks that appear in unoccupied spaces within 30 feet of the knight at the end of the knight's next turn. The hawks act immediately after the knight and the knight can use a bonus action or reaction to give them simple commands. The hawks fill fight to the death or until dismissed by the knight with a bonus action.
Howl of the Harpy Recharge 5-6). The harpy screeches out a hateful song. All non-harpy’s within 60 feet of the harpy that can hear it, must make a DC 12 Charisma saving throw, taking 12 (5d4) psychic damage on a failure, or half as much damage on a success.

Last edited:

Can you clarify? I'm not 100% sure I am following what your suggesting.
Sorry I was trying to tap into the spirit of some of the wilder bloodied mechanisms from 4e. I was thinking Demogorgon could split into 2 1-headed monsters, each with half the hit points the whole monster would have gotten from the necrotic regeneration. My thought was that if you had 2 monsters, each with legendary actions, the action economy would be pretty similar to a party of 4 PC's (2 monsters with 1 action plus potentially 3 legendary/mythic actions=8, which is about the same if 4 PC used actions and reactions). At the end of an hour, the 2 monsters would merge back together.

dave2008

Legend
SO I have a few things I have used...I would love for @dave2008 to take a look and maybe rework... here is my first one, a named knight.

Astro The Dragon Knight Medium humanoid, lawful evil

Armor Class 20 (+1 Mithril Plate) Hit Points 480 (34d12+238) Speed 30 ft.

19 Str 13 Dex 24 Con

13 Int 17 Wis 21 Cha

Saving Throws
+7 Dex +9 Wis +11 Cha

Senses Passive Perception 15

Languages Common, Elven, Draconic

Challenge 15 (26,000xp)

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Astro fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Empowered Strike. When Astro has temp hp he has advantage on attack rolls.

Ridding Mastery. When Astro is mounted he can use his reaction to make any attack that would target his mount target him instead.

Immortality. Astro has achieved immortality, so he does not age.

Mythic Encounter. When Astro first hits 240hp he can as no action gain 240temp hp, 2 legendary actions (see mystic actions) and he and if he is on his mount it gain resistance to all damage except psychic.

Actions

Multiattack. Astro Makes 2 Dragon Sword attacks or 1 Brash strike

Dragon Sword.(+3longsword) Melee Weapon Attack: +13 16(2d8+7) slashing damage

Brash Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: before making the attack Astro gains 9 temp hep, +13 16(2d8+7) slashing damage

Deadly Charge. (when mounted only; +2 lance) Melee Weapon Attack: +12 17(2d12+6) piercing damage plus +2 per 10ft his mount has moved this turn.

Mythic Actions
If Astro’s mythic trait is active, he can use 2 actions inbetween each of his turns and use the following traits:

Attack. Astro can make 1 Dragon Sword attack
Second Wind. Astro can heal himself or his mount 2d12hp
Cone of Fire. Astro can breathe out a 20ft cone of fire, all creatures in the cone take 5d10 fire damage, and can make a Dex save DC 18 for half damage
Wyvern Flight (Costs 2 Actions). If Astro is mounted on his wyvern he can have it move up to 40ft.
Surge the Heroes (Costs 2 Actions). Astro grants all of his allies within 20ft of him 3d10 temp hp and advantage on there next attack.

Wyvern mount

Large dragon, unaligned
Armor Class 16 (Barding) Hit Points 120 (13d10+39) Speed 20 ft., fly 80 ft.

Skills Perception +4
Senses Darkvision 60 Ft., passive Perception 14
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Actions

Multiattack. The wyvern makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its stinger. While flying, it can use its claws in place of one other attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 13(2d6+6) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit:15 (2d8+6) slashing damage.

Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 13(2d6+6) piercing damage plus (7d6)poison damage. The target must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking the poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
I have several issues with this one, but I will try to make it so that it feels correct to me and then you can let me know your thoughts.

dave2008

Legend
1687172639591.png

Dragon Knight by Russell Dongjun Lu

Dragon Knight
Champion Medium humanoid, lawful evil
1599093888148.png

Armor Class 22 (+2 plate armor + shield)
Hit Points 300 (20d8 + 140; bloodied 150)
Speed 30ft.
1599093886982.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
19 (+4)13 (+1)24 (+7)13 (+1)17 (+3)21 (+5)
1599093886018.png

Saving Throws Str +9, Dex +6 Wis +8, Cha +10
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidation +5, Perception +8
Senses passive perception 18
Languages Common, Elven, Draconic
Challenge 13 (15,000 champion XP) Proficiency Bonus +5
1599093884429.png

Deadly Charge. While mounted on its wyvern, if it flies at least 20 feet straight toward a target and the the knight hits the target with a lance attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 26 (4d12) piercing damage.

Dueling. When the knight is wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapon, it gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon (included in the attack).

Immortality (Champion Trait, recharges after a short or long rest) If the dragon knight is bloodied, it can remove one condition or effect it is suffering and it can use its champion actions.

Indomitable (3/Day). The dragon knight can reroll a saving throw it has failed. If so, I it must use the second roll.

Magic Weapons. The knight wields the dragon sword, a +3 longsword that deals an additional 2d6 fire damage on a hit, included in the attack. Additionally, when mounted on its wyvern it wields +2 lance.

Maneuvers (6 / Short Rest). The knight’s maneuver ability is Strength (maneuver save DC 13). The knight can use one of the following maneuvers on one attack:
  • Command Attack. The knight can use a bonus action and one attack of an attack action to direct a companion to strike. The knight chooses a friendly creature that can see or hear the knight to use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding 6 (1d12) to the attack’s damage roll on a hit.
  • Cleave. If there is a target adjacent to the initial target and the attack roll to hit the original target would hit the second target, the second target takes 6 (1d12) slashing damage.
  • Maneuvering Attack. The attack causes an additional 6 (1d12) slashing damage, and the knight chooses one friendly creature that can see or hear it. That creature can use its reaction to move half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the original target of the attack.
  • Trip. The attack causes an additional 6 (1d12) slashing damage, and if the target is Large or smaller it must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Ridding Mastery. While the dragon knight is mounted, it can use a reaction to make any attack that would target its mount target the itself instead.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
Dragon knight makes three dragon sword attacks.

Dragon Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 13 (1d8+9) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage.

Lance. Melee Weapon Attack. +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit. 12 (1d12 +6) piercing damage.

BONUS ACTIONS
Rally (5/Long Rest).
The knight chooses one friendly creature that can see or hear it, and shouts a command to bolster their resolve. The creature gains 11 temporary hit points.

Second Wind (1/Short Rest). The dragon knight regains 23 (1d10 + 18) hit points.

CHAMPION ACTIONS
Once the knight's champion trait is activated, on its initiative count +10 it can take one of the following actions.

Wyvern Flight. A mounted dragon knight can command its wyvern to use a reaction and fly up to 60 feet in a direction of the dragon knight's choice.
Fire Breath (Recharge 5-6). The dragon knight exhales a 30 ft. cone of fire. All creatures in the cone must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Dave, do you have a monster template?
For mythic monsters? I think I did make one, but I have just been copying the monsters I have posted on this thread all ready to serve as a template. I do have some templates for adding PC class abilities, but they are not as good as Ii had hoped (and to modify more than I intended when I actually used them for this thread). Anyway, those are available in the resources section: 5e Hardcore Templates

Remove ads