D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
I don't like how the specter's attack temporarily reduced the max hp, it is far too weak. Perhaps add some flourishes like in 1e?
"Or it suffers one level of exhaustion and [insert terrifying mechanic here].
I assume you mean the wraith's attack?

Just to be clear the attack reduces max HP and you suffer a level of exhaustion. That seems sufficiently harsh to me.

dave2008

Legend
Why not as a free action? Bonus actions are for cave creatures or shadow-like creatures, but something incorporeal should have no problem blending in.
There aren't really free actions in 5e. I could say it is "no action;" however:
  1. RAW those options take an Action, so a bonus action is already a big improvement (+4 to defensive and offensive CR).
  2. The wraith needs to choose to use create specter or its incorporeal stealth. I like monsters with options.
  3. Most incorporeal monsters don't get these as bonus actions even. The MM wraith, specter, ghost, etc. need a full action to take any of those actions.

dave2008

Legend
I thought dragons became more powerful from becoming dracoliches?
That is typically how people look at it, but not me. I see it as dragon sacrificing their innate magic and strength to gain immortality / undeath. Personally, I can't except that a dragon without its flesh and scales is stronger than one with them. I know, magic. But a dragon is magical too! It is my bias, I admit. That is why I said may take was different in the Dracolich entry. Besides, the everlasting undeath gives them a chance to overcome the initial deficiencies. That will be apparent when I post Dragotha soon.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
OK I have added the infamous undead dragon Dragotha! This is a first pass of added my recent dracolich template to a great wyrm dragon. I have finalized the CR yet, but I think it is close.

Let me know your thoughts!

EDIT: I've update Dragotha's entry with some lore.

Last edited:

OK I have added the infamous undead dragon Dragotha! This is a first pass of added my recent dracolich template to a great wyrm dragon. I have finalized the CR yet, but I think it is close.

Let me know your thoughts!

EDIT: I've update Dragotha's entry with some lore.
You forgot vulnerability to bludgening (which I btw think you should drop, instead let your skeletons be resistant to both piercing and slashing). There's some other proofreading needed here and there, but no big deals.
I like him stat-wise, I think, but at the same time I can't feel Dragotha in the stat block. I'm having a hard time pinpointing what it is, but he somehow doesn't feel speciel.
I don't like that he's easier to kill now that he lost Dragon Scales, and didn't really get anything like it in return.

Quartz

Hero
Dragotha targets any number of creatures it can see within 60 feet of it. No target can regain hit points until initiative count 20 on the next round.

I'm a little leery of this. You might want to restrict it to non-magical healing. There should also be protections, like Holy Aura, Protection from Good & Evil, and so on.

dave2008

Legend
I'm a little leery of this. You might want to restrict it to non-magical healing. There should also be protections, like Holy Aura, Protection from Good & Evil, and so on.
I understand, but it is actually not one a made up, I took it from the lair actions of the demilich in the MM. I'm not to worried about it. This is a CR 30 mythic monster afterall. Now, I may need to add a note about a revised CR while in its lair, but I haven't checked that yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases