D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

Stalker0

Legend
I didn't feel like working yet today, so I give you a trio of Dragon Turtles (I guess I couldn't quite leave the dragons yet):

Dragon Turtle, Adult (standard, CR 17)
Dragon Turtle, Elder (standard, CR 21)
Dragon Turtle, Venerable (standard CR 25)
I like the Titanic Prey ability, its a cool way to showcase this creature as a "boss killer" in the creature hierarchy without affecting the standard PC vs monster fight. I wouldn't even mind if you dropped that down to Huge, because what that would do is give players that use certain polymorphs or wildshapes a special vulnerability. It shakes up the fight a bit, and a player might have to consider whether their "brute form" is worth it since the creature is so good at attacking larger creature.

dave2008

Legend
Deva_Movanic.jpg

The Archangel Michael by Daniel Eskridge

MOVANIC DEVA
1612536042784.png

Much like their astral counterparts, the movanic devas are slender and exceedingly agile. They have milky white skin, silvery hair and eyes, and most often wield enchanted flaming swords.

Movanic devas are the most privileged of all the devas, for they are sent to many other planes to aid prominent mortal followers of good deities in moments of dire need. They are able to pass into the Prime Material at will.

Movanic devas rarely appear in their natural form, instead polymorphing themselves into people or animals. Sometimes, however, the shock value of their natural form better serves their needs.

Deva, Movanic
Medium celestial, lawful good
1602788170808.png

Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 136 (16d8 + 64; bloodied 68)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
18 (+4)18 (+4)18 (+4)17 (+3)20 (+5)18 (+4)
1602788185616.png

Saving Throws Wis +9, Cha +8
Skills diplomacy +8, insight +9, perception +9
Damage Resistances cold, fire, force, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive perception 19
Languages All, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP) Proficiency Bonus +4
1602788192622.png

Angelic Awareness. The deva cannot be surprised.

Angelic Weapons. The deva's weapon attacks are magical. When the deva hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 2d8 radiant damage (included in the attack). Additionally, its celestial longsword provides a +1 bonus to hit and damage rolls and deals an extra 2d8 fire damage (included in the attack).

Magic Resistance. The deva has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the deva has disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The deva makes two melee attacks.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack. +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 9 (1d10 + 5) slashing damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage and 9 (2d8) fire damage.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack. +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d4 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage and the target must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be incapacitated until the end of its next turn.

Healing Touch (3/Day). The deva touches another creature. The target magically regains 20 (4d8 + 2) hit points and is freed from any curse, disease, poison, blindness, or deafness.

Innate Spellcasting. The deva's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16). The deva can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

At will: detect evil and good, light, protection from good and evil
3/day each: counterspell, dispel magic
1/day each: commune, raise dead

Change Shape.
The deva magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the deva's choice).

In a new form, the deva retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that it lacks.

REACTIONS
Parry. The deva adds 4 to its AC against one melee or ranged attack that would hit it. To do so, the deva must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I like the Titanic Prey ability, its a cool way to showcase this creature as a "boss killer" in the creature hierarchy without affecting the standard PC vs monster fight. I wouldn't even mind if you dropped that down to Huge, because what that would do is give players that use certain polymorphs or wildshapes a special vulnerability. It shakes up the fight a bit, and a player might have to consider whether their "brute form" is worth it since the creature is so good at attacking larger creature.
I like it! Consider it changed.

Stalker0

Legend
Still don't have the motivation to work on gods yet, so to get a step closer I a present you with some celestial offerings:
On the Priest, I really don't like the separate spell lists, especially that the two lists have different save DCs and one side has components and the other doesn't. As a DM running this.... ug :(

I would just merge the list as all innate casts and a single DC. Treat it more like a divine soul sorc with subtle casting if you need that to fit your internal flavor for the creature, but I would shy away from the two lists with a 10 foot pole.

On the Guardian, the current wording is fine but if you wanted to integrate it more into your base stats, you could have serpent sentinel just use the constrict as its opportunity attack. That would also mean that large creatures are immune from the speed drop, which could actually be a nice benefit for PCs utilizing large size (aka the opposite of what I suggested for the Dragon Turtle).

On the Elder, something I've noted in the core MM1 book for Githyanki. Technically that plane shift spell can be used offensively as well as defensively (which for Githyanki is bonkers for their CR). Now for a CR 12, plane shifting a PC is not the worse thing in the world, but it can be very campaign altering. It may be worth adding (self only) to the spell to prevent that, unless you think that's appropriate for the creature.

It should be noted that the immunity from nonmagical damage is a big deal at that CR 5, is that factored in (I haven't checked the CR math), even with games with magic items, its unlikely that everyone will have a magic weapon when they face this thing.

dave2008

Legend
On the Priest, I really don't like the separate spell lists, especially that the two lists have different save DCs and one side has components and the other doesn't. As a DM running this.... ug :(

I would just merge the list as all innate casts and a single DC. Treat it more like a divine soul sorc with subtle casting if you need that to fit your internal flavor for the creature, but I would shy away from the two lists with a 10 foot pole.
There are definitely some creatures that have two list, but I get your point. Regardless, they should have the same DC. I threw this in at the last minute and just copied the NPC priest spells. I will have to give it another look through.
On the Guardian, the current wording is fine but if you wanted to integrate it more into your base stats, you could have serpent sentinel just use the constrict as its opportunity attack. That would also mean that large creatures are immune from the speed drop, which could actually be a nice benefit for PCs utilizing large size (aka the opposite of what I suggested for the Dragon Turtle).
That is a good idea, I will think about it.
On the Elder, something I've noted in the core MM1 book for Githyanki. Technically that plane shift spell can be used offensively as well as defensively (which for Githyanki is bonkers for their CR). Now for a CR 12, plane shifting a PC is not the worse thing in the world, but it can be very campaign altering. It may be worth adding (self only) to the spell to prevent that, unless you think that's appropriate for the creature.
I thought about limiting it to self only, but it is actually a classic ability of the couatls (they idea being they can planeshift a group to safety) that I wanted to be a part of this empowered couatl. I think I will keep it.
It should be noted that the immunity from nonmagical damage is a big deal at that CR 5, is that factored in (I haven't checked the CR math), even with games with magic items, its unlikely that everyone will have a magic weapon when they face this thing.
That is straight out of the CR 4 Couatl in the MM. I'm not going to make my version weaker than the MM! ;)

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1627400176520.png

Monadic Deva by unknown

MONADIC DEVA
1612536042784.png

Monadic devas have dark brown skin, jet hair, and piercing green eyes. They have a bulky build and rely more upon strength than on speed and agility. These strong stewards of the gods carry an enchanted metal rod which they use to smite their foes.

On rare occasions, a power from the Upper Planes needs a servant to go to one of the Elemental or Paraelemental Planes. When this need arises, monadic devas are used. Monadics can pass into any Elemental Plane at will and survive there without ill effect.

Deva, Monadic
1602788170808.png

Hit Points 152 (16d8 + 80; bloodied 76)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
20 (+5)17 (+3)20 (+5)17 (+3)20 (+5)19 (+4)
1602788185616.png

Damage Resistances cold, fire, force, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive perception 19
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +4
1602788192622.png

Angelic Weapons. The deva's weapon attacks are magical. When the deva hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 2d8 radiant damage (included in the attack). Additionally, its celestial steel rod provides a +1 bonus to hit and damage rolls and deals an extra 3d8 force damage (included in the attack), or an extra 6d8 force damage if the target is a construct.

Magic Resistance. The deva has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the deva has disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS

Steel Rod. Melee Weapon Attack. +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 10 (1d8 +6) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage and 13 (3d8) force damage.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack. +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 7 (1d4 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage and the target must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.

Healing Touch (3/Day). The deva touches another creature. The target magically regains 20 (4d8 + 2) hit points and is freed from any curse, disease, poison, blindness, or deafness.

Innate Spellcasting. The deva's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16). The deva can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

1/day each: commune, hold monster, mirror image, raise dead

Change Shape.
The deva magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating equal to or less than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the deva's choice).

In a new form, the deva retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form, and it gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that it lacks.

REACTIONS
Shove. The deva can make the following attack on a creature that misses it with a melee attack. Melee Weapon Attack. +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 9 (2d8) radiant damage and if the target is Medium or smaller it is pushed 5 feet and knocked prone.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Deva_Astral.jpg

Astral Deva by ProdigyDuck
ASTRAL DEVA
1612536042784.png

Astral devas attend to matters in the Lower Planes for the powers of good. These powerful, pure warriors can pass into the Lower Planes at will, bringing their justice to the heart of evil. If directly commanded by the power they serve, they can enter any layer of any lower plane without passing through intermediate layers. Astral devas also commonly travel to the Astral Plane to rescue good-aligned mortals who have become lost or stranded.

Astral devas have golden skin, amber eyes, fair hair and they carry a mace-like weapon into combat.

Deva, Astral
1602788170808.png

Hit Points 168 (16d8 + 96; bloodied 84)
Speed 30 ft., fly 120 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
19 (+4)20 (+5)22 (+6)18 (+4)20 (+5)20 (+5)
1602788185616.png

Senses darkvision 180 ft., passive perception 19
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP) Proficiency Bonus +4
1602788192622.png

Angelic Awareness. The deva cannot be surprised.

Angelic Weapons. The deva's weapon attacks are magical. When the deva hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 2d8 radiant damage (included in the attack). Additionally, its celestial mace provides a +2 bonus to hit rolls and deals an extra 4d6 bludgeoning damage (included in the attack) when wielded by the deva.

Evasion. If the deva is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.

ACTIONS

Mace. Melee Weapon Attack. +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 21 (5d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage. If a creature is hit twice by this attack on the same turn, it must make a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or it can't take Reactions until after its next turn and it must roll a d8 at the start of its next turn to determine its behavior for that turn.

1: The creature uses all its Movement to move in a random direction. To determine the direction, roll a d8 and assign a direction to each die face. The creature doesn't take an action this turn.

2-6: The creature doesn't move or take Actions this turn.

7-8: The creature uses its action to make a melee Attack against a randomly determined creature within its reach. If there is no creature within its reach, the creature does nothing this turn.

Palm Strike. Melee Weapon Attack. +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or have its speed reduced in half for 1 minute.

Innate Spellcasting. The deva's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17). The deva can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

3/day each: see invisibility
1/day each: blade barrier, commune, raise dead

Change Shape.

REACTIONS
Retributive Strike. If a creature hits the deva with a melee attack, the deva can make a Palm Strike against that target.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Agathinon.jpg

male elf swords man by Enaxor

AGATHINON
1612536042784.png

Agathinon are stem, serious, and unyielding. They are devoted beings, unswerving in their constant pursuit of right. In their natural form they appear similar to elves with opalescent, luminous skin and shining eyes.

Agathinon form the elite vanguard of the celestial armies. In groups up to 100 strong, agathinon most often fight in their elven form. In special circumstances, they transform into powerful creatures such to do battle. Agathinon are fearless warriors who often defend their cause to the death.

Agathinon carry out solo missions to the Prime Material Plane to aid mortals in their confrontations with evil. These instructions come down from the celestial stewards or, in the case of mortals of extreme courage and importance, from one of the powers themselves.

Agathinon
Medium celestial, neutral good
1602788170808.png

Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 119 (14d8 + 56; bloodied 59)
Speed 30 ft.
1602788180099.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
17 (+3)16 (+3)16 (+4)15 (+2)18 (+4)16 (+3)
1602788185616.png

Saving Throws Dex +6, Wis +7
Skills athletics +7, perception +8
Damage Resistances acid, cold, lightning
Condition Immunities frightened, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive perception 18
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP) Proficiency Bonus +3
1602788192622.png

Beast Form. The agathinon can use a bonus action to magically transform into one of its beast forms or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the agathinon's choice).

In a new form, the agathinon retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the beast form. It can choose from one of the forms below.
  • Drake Form. The agathinon transforms into a Large dragon and gains a flying speed of 90 ft. Its AC increases to 20 and its Strength to 22. Its Dexterity is reduced to 10. It must use its Dragon Form actions.
  • Eagle Form. The agathinon transforms into a Medium eagle. Its speed is reduced to 20 ft. and it gains a flying speed of 120 ft. While in this form and it is flying and dives at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a melee weapon attack, the attack deals an extra 3 (1d6) damage to the target. Additionally, it doesn't provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy’s reach. It must use its Eagle Form actions.
  • Panther Form. The agathinon transforms into a Large cat. Its speed increases to 60 ft., and its Strength and Dexterity Increase to 18. While in this form it has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and it can use a bonus action to make a bite attack on a creature it has grappled. It must use its Panther Form actions.
  • Sea Cat Form. The agathinon transforms into a Large sea cat, its speed is reduced to 15 ft. and it gains a swimming speed of 60 ft. Its AC increases to 17 and its Strength to 19. It must use its Sea Cat Form actions.
  • Stag Form. The agathinon transforms into a Large antlered deer. Its speed increases to 60 ft. and its Strength increases to 18. While in this form if it moves at least 20 feet in a straight line it can jump up to 20 feet high and 40 feet long or if it hits a target with a antlers attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 7 (2d6) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 feet away and knocked prone. It must use its Stage Form actions.
Celestial Weapons. The agathinon's weapon attacks are magical. When the agathinon hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 1d8 radiant damage (included in the attack).

Magic Resistance. The agathinon has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the agathinon has disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS - TRUE FORM ONLY
Multiattack. The agathinon makes two attacks.

Mace. Melee Weapon Attack. +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) radiant damage.

Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack. +6 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit. 5 (1d4 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Innate Spellcasting. The agathinon's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16). The agathinon can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:

At will: detect evil and good, cure wounds
3/day each: detect magic
1/day each: hold person

ACTIONS - DRAKE FORM ONLY
Multiattack. The dragon makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d10 + 5) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) slashing damage.

Fire Breath. The dragon exhales fire in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 42 (12d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

ACTIONS - EAGLE FORM ONLY
Multiattack. The eagle makes two talon and one beak attacks.

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target that is incapacitated or grappled by the eagle. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage or 13 (3d6 +3) piercing damage on a critical hit.

Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage. If the eagle hits a Medium or smaller creature with two talon attacks on the same turn, it must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be grappled. As long as a creature is grappled in this way, it is also restrained.

ACTIONS - PANTHER FORM ONLY
Multiattack. The panther makes two claw attacks and a bite attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target that is grappled by the tiger or incapacitated. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage. Additionally, if the panther hits the same target with two claw attacks on the same turn, the target is also grappled

ACTIONS - SEA CAT FORM ONLY
Multiattack. The sea cat makes two claw attacks and a bite or tail attack. It must bite a target it has attacked with its claws and it cannot make a tail attack against a target it has attacked with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage and if the target is a Medium or smaller creature it must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or incapacitated until the end of its next turn and knocked prone.

ACTIONS - STAG FORM ONLY
Multiattack. The stag makes two attacks: one with its antlers and one with its hooves. It can't make both attacks against the same target, unless the target is prone.

Antlers. Melee Weapon Attack. +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage.

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack. +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d4 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) radiant damage and the target must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be incapacitated until the end of its next turn.

Last edited:

Remove ads