D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
Supposedly it's the eight wolves that makes them overpowered and an annoyance to some due to all the dice rolls. Even if you use mob rules, eight attacks against an AC 14 creature will statistically hit for about 25 to 30 HP per round. No other beast comes close to that under CR 2.

So four CR 1/2 creatures that weren't underpowered compared to the wolves might be a good compromise for DMs and players.
Got it! I will work something up soon.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Got it! I will work something up soon.
Thank you! I thought the black bear's multi-attack made their AC and HP so low. But recently I saw a thread mentioning CR 1/4 Velociraptors that have multi-attack and pack tactics. So I have no idea how they balance these things.

Stalker0

Legend
PS I am a little confused that a CR 1/4 wolf is too strong, but you want a CR 1/2 variant? A CR 1/2 animal should be stronger than a CR 1/4 one.
This is because of 5e's scaling. Creatures scale much more with number than "level". All the summons work this way, the 8 1/4 CR creatures are always the strongest option for raw damage.

Same with animate objects, always best to get the large number of tiny objects if you can manage it.

dave2008

Legend
This is because of 5e's scaling. Creatures scale much more with number than "level". All the summons work this way, the 8 1/4 CR creatures are always the strongest option for raw damage.

Same with animate objects, always best to get the large number of tiny objects if you can manage it.
Oops! I replied to the wrong comment, this is for @tommybahama

Ok, see if this works for you: Giant Fox

I tend to like to make things more complex, but feel this hits a good balance for a summoned beast. Also, it has slightly less HP and damage compared to the black bear, but better AC and to hit. Let me know what you think, I'm happy to make changes.

EDIT: I added Evasion to give it some protection for AoE spells and it seems to fit the theme I was going for. It is still CR 1/2 with it.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I just wanted to let everyone know that I counted them up and, assuming I didn't make any mistakes, their are 216 monster stat blocks in the ToC and Monster's by CR table. I think that is pretty exciting.

Also, after doing a request for @tommybahama, I just want to remind everyone that if I have the time I love doing request.

dave2008

Legend
OK, more monster numbers. The table below list the number of monsters for each CR. Now, though this thread has changed over time, it started out as a thread about high CR / Epic monsters. I have removed some of those (to be posted over at ASCENSION: Friends & Foes); however, I am a little disappointed at the low numbers above CR15 (143 @ or below CR15 and only 73 above). I will need to change that! Any suggestions?

Monstrous Compendium Total Monsters by CR
Challenge RatingNumber of Monsters
1/43
1/25

tommybahama

Adventurer
I tend to like to make things more complex, but feel this hits a good balance for a summoned beast. Also, it has slightly less HP and damage compared to the black bear, but better AC and to hit. Let me know what you think, I'm happy to make changes.

I like them both. I'll run them by the DM to see what he says. The multi attack works well if people use mob rules since the to hit bonuses and damage are the same.

dave2008

Legend
1627490597390.png

unknown work and artist (at least by me)

Sovereign Elk
Huge Fey, unaligned
1599001688295.png

Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 216 (16d12 + 112; bloodied 108)
Speed 90 ft., swim 40 ft.
1599001689306.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)18 (+4)24 (+7)16 (+3)18 (+4)23 (+6)
1599001691083.png

Saving Throws Dex +9, Wis +9, Cha +11
Skills Athletics +11, Intimidation +9, Perception +9
Damage Resistance cold, poison, psychic, radiant
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, & slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't cold iron
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive perception 19
Languages Common, Celestial, Terran, Sylvan, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 16 (15,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1599001692326.png

Charge. If the sovereign elk moves at least 10 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with an antler attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 18 (4d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 20 feet away and knocked prone.

Forest Guardian. While in a forest, the Sovereign Elk can telepathically communicate with all creatures and plants in the forest, as in the spells Speak with Animals and Speak with Plants, and it cannot be surprised.

Magic Resistance. The sovereign elk has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons. The sovereign wolf's weapon attacks are magical.

Natural Regeneration. While in the Feywild or natural world, the sovereign elk regains 10 hit points if it starts its turn with at least 1 hit point.

Relentless Stride. The sovereign elk ignores difficult terrain in a natural environment and has advantage on saving throws and checks against an effect that would reduced its speed or force it to move. Additionally, when it takes the Dash action its speed is quadrupled (360 ft.) until it no longer takes the Dash action.

Trampling Charge. If the sovereign elk moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a hoof attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the sovereign elk can make one attack with its hooves against it as a bonus action.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The sovereign elk makes two melee attacks, but only one can be a hooves attack and it can't make both attacks against the same target.

Antlers. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit. 24 (4d8 + 6) piercing damage.

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit. 34 (8d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage.

Sweeping Antlers (Recharge 4-6). The sovereign elk makes one antlers attack on each target within its reach. On a hit, the target must make a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet.

Innate Spellcasting. The sovereign elk's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19). The sovereign elk can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:

At will: calm emotions, charm monster (6 targets), cure wounds, druidcraft, entangle
3/day each: confusion, conjure animals, dispel magic, pass without a trace
1/day each: greater restoration, heal, hallucinatory terrain

BONUS ACTIONS
Fey Jump (Recharge 4 – 6). The sovereign elk can teleport up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.

Sovereign's Speed (3/Rest). The sovereign elk takes the Dash action.

REACTIONS
Antler Parry.
The sovereign elk adds 6 to its AC against one attack that would hit it. To do so, the sovereign elk must see the attacker.

Vigorous Shake. If a creature ends turn grappling or riding the sovereign elk, the sovereign elk shakes and all creatures riding or grappling the elk must make a DC 19 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. On a failure, the creature is thrown off the sovereign elk and falls prone in free space adjacent to the sovereign elk.

Last edited:

Remove ads