Reflecter
Medium construct, unaligned
1600806818236.png

Armor Class 21 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 76 (9d8 + 36; bloodied 38)
Speed 40 ft.
1600806820068.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
19 (+4)18 (+4)18 (+4)15 (+2)12 (+1)8 (-1)
1600806821005.png

Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +8, Wis +5, Cha +3
Damage Immunities lightning, poison, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with adamantine weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses passive perception 11
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can't speak
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP) Proficiency Bonus +4
1600806824985.png

Evasion. If the reflecter is subjected to a magical effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, the reflecter instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails

Immutable Form. The reflecter is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Magic Resistance. The reflecter has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Spell Reflection. Any time the reflecter is targeted by a magic missile spell, a line spell, or a spell that requires a ranged attack roll, the reflecter is unaffected by the spell and roll a d8. On a 1 to 3, the spell reflects harmlessly in a random direction. On a roll of 4 to 7, the spell is reflected at a random creature as though originating from the reflecter, turn the creature into the target. On a roll of 8, the spell is reflected back at the caster as though it originated from the reflecter, turning the caster into the target.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The reflecter makes two slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus 18 (4d8) lightning damage and the target must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be pushed 10 feet and stunned until the end of the reflecter's next turn.

Lightning Bolt. The reflecter conjures a bolt of lightning in an 90-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (6d10) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

REACTIONS
Dodge. The reflector adds 5 to its AC against one attack that would hit it. To do so, the reflecter must see the attacker.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Iron Gargoyle
Large construct, unaligned
1600806818236.png

Armor Class 22 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 152 (16d10 + 64; bloodied 76)
Speed 40 ft., fly 60 ft.
1600806820068.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)12 (+1)19 (+4)3 (-4)12 (+1)8 (-1)
1600806821005.png

Saving Throws Str +11, Dex +6, Wis +6, Cha +4
Damage Resistances piercing
Damage Vulnerabilities cold
Damage Immunities fire, poison, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive perception 11
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can't speak
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +5
1600806824985.png

Immutable Form. The iron gargoyle is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Crushing Dive. If the iron gargoyle flies at least 20 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a body slam attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 16 (3d10) bludgeoning damage.

Limited Spell Immunity. Unless it is instructed to be affected, the iron gargoyle is immune to spells of 3rd level or lower. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.

Magic Weapons. The iron gargoyle's weapon attacks are magical.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The reflecter makes two iron claw attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d8 + 6) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) fire damage.

Iron Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d6 + 6) slashing damage. If the target is hit by two iron claw attacks on the same turn, it is also grappled.

Body Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet or knocked prone, the iron gargoyle's choice.

Fire Breath (Recharge 5–6). The iron gargoyle exhales fire in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, taking 54 (16d6) fire damage and be incapacitated until the end of the iron gargoyle's next turn on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

REACTIONS
Chomp. If a creature ends its turn grappled by the iron gargoyle, the iron gargoyle can make a bite attack against that target.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I was doing some cleaning today and I came across the Creature Catalogue (AC9). It has a bunch of monsters I am interested in adding. In particular some interesting constructs. I couldn't wait, so here are two I quickly converted:

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Colossal Stone Juggernaut
Gargantuan construct, unaligned
1600806818236.png

Armor Class 20 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 330 (20d20 + 120; bloodied 165)
Speed see Path of Devastation
1600806820068.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
26 (+8)6 (-2)23 (+6)2 (-4)12 (+1)3 (-4)
1600806821005.png

Saving Throws Str +14, Con +12
Damage Resistances fire, piercing
Damage Immunities poison, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't adamantine
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone
Senses blindsight 240 ft., passive perception 11
Languages --
Challenge 20 (25,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1600806824985.png

Colossal. The juggernaut's spaces is 30 feet by 30 feet and it is 40 feet tall.

Crushing Roll. If the juggernaut knocks a creature prone, it must spend all of its movement to stand up.

Immutable Form. The juggernaut is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Magic Weapons. The juggernaut's weapon attacks are magical.

Regeneration. As long as it has 1 hit point left, the juggernaut magically regains all its hit points daily at dawn. The juggernaut is destroyed and doesn’t regenerate if it drops to 0 hit points.

Relentless. The juggernaut destroys any magical barrier in its Path of Devastation , as if it had cast Dispel Magic (9th level), and it is immune to any magic that would reduce its speed. Additionally, any effect that would move the juggernaut, teleport it or inflict the prone condition instead reduces the length of its Path of Devastation by 30 feet until the end of its next turn.

Rolling Momentum (Recharge 5-6). The length of the juggernaut's Path of Destruction increases by up to 60 feet.

Siege Monster. The juggernaut deals double damage to objects and structures.

ACTIONS
Path of Devastation.
The juggernaut moves in a line that is 30 feet wide and up to 60 feet long. Each creature in the line must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw. On a failure, the target takes 47 (6d12 + 8) bludgeoning damage and if the target is Huge or smaller it must make a DC 22 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and take an additional 78 (12d12) bludgeoning damage. On a success, the target takes half as much damage and is pushed to a free space adjacent to the juggernaut's path. Additionally, the juggernaut does not provoke Opportunity Attacks from creatures in the line.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Gakarak.JPG

GAKARAK
A gakarak is a large, 18 to 22-foor tall bipedal plant creature. It can easily be mistaken for a treant, although it is much darker in color and usually shrouded in ancient, blackening mosses and lichens.

Gakaraks are some of the oldest living creatures and they dwell deep in the heart of ancient forests. In their dark forest homes the brood on their eons-old hatred of humanoids, all of whom they consider hateful tree-slayers. They resent incursions into their forests and will do their utmost to deter any from entering. Those foolish enough to penetrate deep into a gakarak's forest rarely return home.

A GAKARAK'S LAIR
1598896179798.png

While a gakarak considers an entire forest its home, it chooses or creates a dense grove of trees at the center of its forest to serve as its lair. This area of the forest is engorged with the gakarak anger and a thick canopy of leaves and vines shades the lair in Dim light, even during the brightest days.

LAIR ACTIONS
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the gakarak takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the gakarak can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
  • The gakarak can teleport to any unoccupied location within its lair.
  • The gakarak recharges its Animate Trees ability.
  • All normal plants within 600-foot radius of the gakarak become thick and overgrown. A creature moving through the area must spend 4 feet of movement for every 1 foot it moves.
REGIONAL EFFECTS
The long-nutured anger of a gakarak pervades its forest with an atmosphere of impending doom, which creates one or more of the following effects:
  • Within 1 mile of the lair, plants serve as the gakarak's eyes and ears, whispering to the gakarak about the presence of intruders.
  • Within 2 miles of the lair, the forest is eerily quite with only the sound of creaking trees and the wind rustling through plants and leaves. There a no signs of animal life and the ground is covered in a thick carpet of dead leaves.
  • Within 3 miles of the lair, paths and animal trails are overgrown and quickly disappear.
If the gakarak dies, the plants lose their supernatural link to it and animals begin to return to the forest within 1d10 days.

GakarakChallenge 12
Huge elite plant, neutral16,800 elite XP
1598896179798.png

Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 287 (24d12 + 138; bloodied 144)
Speed 40 ft.
1598896181433.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
23 (+6)8 (-1)22 (+6)12 (+1)14 (+2)12 (+1)
1598896182723.png

Saving Throws Dex +3, Con +10, Wis +6
Skills Nature +5
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, lightning, piercing, psychic
Condition Immunities unconscious
Senses darkvision 240 ft., passive perception 12
Languages common, druidic, elvish, sylvan
Challenge 12 (12,600 champion XP) Proficiency Bonus +4
1598896186606.png

Elite Recovery (Elite Trait). At the end of each of its turns while bloodied, the gakarak ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated .

False Appearance. While the gakarak remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal tree.

Forest Resilience (Elite Trait, 1/Rest). When the gakarak is first bloodied, all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, its elite traits activate, and all of its abilities recharge. Additionally, on its initiative count +10, or in place of an Action on its turn, the gakarak can use an elite action.

Forest Stride. The gakarak ignores difficult terrain in its forest or, if outside its forest, composed of plants.

Regenerate. The gakarak gains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point and it is in a forest. If the gakarak takes fire damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of its next turn.

Siege Monster. The gakarak deals double damage to objects and structures.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The gakarak makes two slam attacks. It can substitute two torn dart attacks for each slam attack.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d8 + 6) magical bludgeoning damage plus 10 (3d6) magical piercing damage and the target must make a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet or grappled, the gakarak's choice.

Thorn Darts. Ranged Weapon Attack. +12 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit. 13 (2d6 + 6) magical piercing damage per dart.

Animate Trees (1/Day). The gakarak magically animates up to four trees it can see within 240 feet of it. These trees have the same statistics as a treant, except they have Intelligence and Charisma scores of 1, they can't speak, and they have only the Slam action option. An animated tree acts as an ally of the gakarak. The tree remains animate for 1 day or until it dies; until the gakarak dies or is more than 480 feet from the tree; or until the gakarak takes a bonus action to turn it back into an inanimate tree. The tree then takes root if possible.

ELITE ACTIONS
Bark Stride.
The gakarak gains 20 temporary hit points and moves up to half its speed. It looses any remaining temporary hit points at the end of this move.

Entangle. The gakarak choses a point it can see within 120 feet of it. Grasping vines sprout from the ground in a 15-foot radius centered on that point. The area becomes difficult terrain and each creature in the area musts make a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be retrained. While restrained in this way, the creature (or another creature within 5 feet of it) can use its action to make a DC 18 Strength check. On a success, the creature is no longer restrained.

Forest Fury (Recharge 5-6). The gakarak makes a Slam attack against each creature within its reach.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Colossal Stone Juggernaut
Challenge
20 (25,000 XP)
Colossal. The juggernaut's spaces is 30 feet by 30 feet and it is 40 feet tall.
I like the concept of this building size roller that just crushes everything in its path, but I think the mechanics are a little clunky, and we can clean it up.

Speed: I think we need to explain this limited movement in an ability, instead of just a quick blurb in the speed area. Something like:

Restricted Movement: At the beginning of its turn, the juggernaut chooses a direction. Until the beginning of its next turn, the juggernaut can only move in that direction and must choose that direction for its Path of Devastation action.

Relentless: The juggernaut destroys any mundane or magical barrier in its movement path. The juggernaut is immune to any magic that would reduce its speed, stop its movement, or move it from its current position (this prevents tricks like banishment and certain teleports from moving the creature....which I think is both a worthy protective ability for such a creature, and helps prevent confusion with the restricted movement. And then removing various barriers prevents it from getting stuck).

Rolling Momentum: (Recharge 5-6) Increase the maximum range of Path of Devastation by 60 feet. (see the new attack below).

Now lets redo the attack a bit to simplify and clean up the language.

Path of Devastation: Line 30 feet wide, range 5-60 feet. The juggernaut moves to the end of the line, and does not provoke Opportunity Attacks for the movement. All creatures in the line take 47 (6d12 + 8) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Gargantuan or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Strength saving throw or become prone, and become subject to the Devastating Roll ability.

(now the attack is clearer, and we have given it a more automatic damage (similar to the Marut) and extended its damage range. It also really highlights that you do not stop the juggernaut! Considering that for a CR 20 creature, the only thing this does is just pure damage and its defenses are very poor against even lower level magics....and the movement restriction is very limiting against smart players with the resources of high level characters...I think this is more than fair)

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I like the concept of this building size roller that just crushes everything in its path, but I think the mechanics are a little clunky, and we can clean it up.
Thank as always. This started as another update from AC9 - Creature Catalogue, but then I realized that there was already an update in ToA. So I tried to combine the two in a larger version. In generally, I like your suggestions a lot, my version was hampered by following the official version to much.
Speed: I think we need to explain this limited movement in an ability, instead of just a quick blurb in the speed area. Something like:
This was strait from the official version. I like what your doing better, and will get this updated after I get some lunch.
Restricted Movement: At the beginning of its turn, the juggernaut chooses a direction. Until the beginning of its next turn, the juggernaut can only move in that direction and must choose that direction for its Path of Devastation action.
I like it.
Relentless: The juggernaut destroys any mundane or magical barrier in its movement path. The juggernaut is immune to any magic that would reduce its speed, stop its movement, or move it from its current position (this prevents tricks like banishment and certain teleports from moving the creature....which I think is both a worthy protective ability for such a creature, and helps prevent confusion with the restricted movement. And then removing various barriers prevents it from getting stuck).
I like it. I one point I still wanted to allow people to push it different directions. Make it like a puzzle: I can't stop it or slow it down, maybe I can redirect it? But maybe not. I'm not sure about destroying "any" mundane barrier either. I will think about it.
Rolling Momentum: (Recharge 5-6) Increase the maximum range of Path of Devastation by 60 feet. (see the new attack below).

Now lets redo the attack a bit to simplify and clean up the language.

Path of Devastation: Line 30 feet wide, range 5-60 feet. The juggernaut moves to the end of the line, and does not provoke Opportunity Attacks for the movement. All creatures in the line take 47 (6d12 + 8) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Gargantuan or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Strength saving throw or become prone, and become subject to the Devastating Roll ability.

(now the attack is clearer, and we have given it a more automatic damage (similar to the Marut) and extended its damage range. It also really highlights that you do not stop the juggernaut! Considering that for a CR 20 creature, the only thing this does is just pure damage and its defenses are very poor against even lower level magics....and the movement restriction is very limiting against smart players with the resources of high level characters...I think this is more than fair)
I like it, but as an area of effect attack it increases the CR. I will think about it.

Stalker0

Legend
I like it, but as an area of effect attack it increases the CR. I will think about it.
It might be worth looking at the Eidolon (who is very damage heavy for its CR), and the Marut (who gets automatic attacks). This might help temper the CR based on WOTC's existing monster experiences.

I feel like the higher you go, the more a creature's weakness should affect CR more than its strength. Sure this thing does a lot of damage, but its extremely one note in how a party can handle it.

Make it like a puzzle: I can't stop it or slow it down, maybe I can redirect it? But maybe not. I'm not sure about destroying "any" mundane barrier either. I will think about it.

If you want to keep this, perhaps you go all in and make this a true weakness. Again this allows you to push that damage really high, but with the weakness it tempers the CR. Something like:

Traction Vulnerability: Any effect that moves the Juggernaut, teleports it, or causes it to become prone instead inflicts the incapacitated and restrained condition for 1 round.

This could also give players without adamantine weapons more creative thoughts to try.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
It might be worth looking at the Eidolon (who is very damage heavy for its CR), and the Marut (who gets automatic attacks). This might help temper the CR based on WOTC's existing monster experiences.

I feel like the higher you go, the more a creature's weakness should affect CR more than its strength. Sure this thing does a lot of damage, but its extremely one note in how a party can handle it.

If you want to keep this, perhaps you go all in and make this a true weakness. Again this allows you to push that damage really high, but with the weakness it tempers the CR. Something like:

Traction Vulnerability: Any effect that moves the Juggernaut, teleports it, or causes it to become prone instead inflicts the incapacitated and restrained condition for 1 round.

This could also give players without adamantine weapons more creative thoughts to try.
OK, I have updated the juggernaut. Let me know what you think

Remove ads