D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

Stalker0

Legend
Ah yes, I see that now. It is weak if the save is made, but awesome if it isn't. (And brutal in combination with other ways of getting knocked prone). I like it.
Also keep in mind that if it succeeds on proning you with opening attack, all of the followup attacks have advantage, which is a pretty solid benefit. So its a good opening move even if its less damage.

dave2008

Legend
I noticed that the CR 10 Movanic Deva adds 5 to its AC with Parry. With the official monsters Parry always adds the creature's proficiency bonus (which would be 4 in this case).

Was this a mistake, or an intentional departure from normal procedure?
It was a mistake - to much copy and paste. Thank you for catching that, it is corrected now.

Stalker0

Legend
@dave2008, here's an ability I just thought up that is a way for you to get more mileage out of your resistance or immunities to non-magic weapons, but something the players can work with as opposed to (it neither always or never works). Maybe something you want to throw on a monster at some point.

Anti-magic Flux: Any non-artifact melee weapon that strikes this creature becomes non-magical until the end of your next turn.

dave2008

Legend
dream_larva_by_mesozord_d4xnh5g-fullview.jpg

Dream Larva by Mesozord

Dream Larva
Large monstrosity (titan), chaotic evil
1598896179798.png

Armor Class 21 (natural armor)
Hit Points 405 (30d10 + 240; bloodied 202)
Speed 90 ft.
1598896181433.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)17 (+3)27 (+8)16 (+3)21 (+5)28 (+9)
1598896182723.png

Saving Throws Dex +10, Int +10, Wis +12, Cha +16
Skills Acrobatics +10, Deception +16, Insight +12, Perception +12, Stealth +10
Damage Resistances cold, fire, psychic
Damage Immunities thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, petrified
Senses darkvision 240 ft., truesight 120 ft., passive perception 22
Languages All, telepathy 180 ft.
Challenge 25 (75,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +7
1598896186606.png

Abominable Mind. The dream larva is immune to mind control effects, attempts to detect its thoughts or ascertain its emotions, and to magic that would put it to sleep.

Brute. A melee weapon deals one extra die of its damage when the dream larva hits with it (included in the attack).

Dream Resurrection: When the dream larva dies, if any creature within 100 ft is asleep or currently subject to a nightmare visage, the Dream Larva returns to life with 1 hp.

Grappler. If the dream larva hits the same Large or smaller creature two or more times with a Claw or Pincher attack on the same turn, the creature is also grappled.

Immutable Form. The dream larva is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Limited Magic Immunity. The dream larva is immune to cantrips. Additionally, it has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the dream larva has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magic Weapons. The dream larva’s weapon attacks are considered magical weapons for overcoming resistances.

Nightmare Visage. If a creature starts its turn within 30 ft. of the dream larva and the two of them can see each other, the creature momentarily perceives the dream larva as the most fearsome creature imaginable. The target must make a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) psychic damage and be frightened on a failure, or half as much damage on a success. If a creature is frightened by this effect and it has less than 100 hit points, it dies. Otherwise, while frightened this way the creature is paralyzed for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to that dream larva's Nightmare Visage.

A creature that isn't surprised can avert its eyes to avoid the saving throw at the start of its turn. If it does so, the creature can't see the dream larva until the start of its next turn, when it can avert its eyes again. If it looks at the dream larva in the meantime, it must immediately make the save.

Regeneration. The dream larva regains 20 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. If the dream larva takes radiant damage this trait doesn’t function at the start of the dream larva’s next turn.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The dream larva makes up to five attacks. One Bite or Gore attack, if it can, and any combination of Claw and Pincher attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target grappled by the dream larva. Hit: 19 (3d8 + 6) piercing damage plus 22 (4d10) psychic damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 +6) slashing damage.

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target that is incapacitated or grappled by the dream larva. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) piercing damage plus 21 (6d6) poison damage and is poisoned for 1 minute.

Pincher. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage.

Nightmare Bolt. Ranged Spell Attack: +16 to hit, range 400 ft., one target. Hit: 45 (8d10) psychic damage and the target is stunned until the end of the dream larva's next turn.

Innate Spellcasting. The dream larva’s spell casting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 24). dream larva can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At-will: dissonant whispers, fly
3/day each: phantasmal killer
1/day each: weird

Summon Nightwalker (1/Rest). The dream larva magically summons a Nightwalker to an unoccupied space it can see within 120 feet of it. The Nightwalker is friendly to the dream larva and obeys its commands.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The dream larva can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. If the dream larva has unspent legendary actions at the end of the round, it may spend and immediately use its remaining legendary actions. The dream larva regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Attack. The dream larva makes a Claw or Pincher attack.
Teleport. The dream larva teleports to an unoccupied space it can see within 120 feet of it.
Sending (Cost 2 Actions). The dream larva attempts to send one creature it has grappled into a nightmare. The creature must make a DC 24 Charisma saving throw or be magically plunged in nightmare realm, disappearing from its current location and taking 35 (10d6) psychic damage. At the end of the target’s next turn, the target reappears in the space it left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.
Spellcasting (Costs 3 Actions). The dream larva casts a spell.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
hecatoncheires_by_mesozord_d4vwewi-fullview.jpg

Hecatoncheires by Mesozord

Hecatoncheires
Elite Gargantuan monstrosity (titan), any (90% any evil alignment)
1602895912423.png

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 1,434 ((35d20 + 350)x2; bloodied 717)
Speed 120 ft.
1602895913676.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
30 (+10)15 (+2)30 (+10)12 (+1)10 (+0)24 (+7)
1602895915157.png

Savings Throws Str +19, Dex +11, Con +19
Skills Athletics +19, Intimidation +16, Perception +18
Damage Resistances cold, fire
Damage Immunities lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical and not adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified
Senses truesight 1,000 ft., passive Perception 28
Languages All, telepathy 500 ft.
Challenge 32 (390,000 elite XP) Proficiency Bonus +9
1602895916330.png

Abominable Nature. The hecatoncheires is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form, control its mind, detect its thoughts, ascertain its emotions, or magic that would put it to sleep.

Abomination (Elite Trait, recharges after a short or long rest). If the hecatoncheires is bloodied, all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, it recharges all of its abilities, and it can use its its elite actions.

Colossal. The hecatoncheires' space is 100 feet by100 feet and it is 160 feet tall and it has advantage on saving throws against being physically pushed or knocked prone by a creature without the colossal trait. Additionally, when a Medium or smaller creature is hit by an attack, any adjacent creature is subject to the same attack, using the same attack result. The hecatoncheires deals double damage to objects and structures.

Limited Magic Immunity. Unless it wishes to be affected, the hecatoncheires is immune spells of 3rd level or lower. Additionally, it has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the hecatoncheires has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magic Weapons. The hecatoncheires’s weapon attacks are considered magical weapons for overcoming resistances.

Multiple Heads. The hecatoncheires has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded, deafened, stunned, paralyzed or knocked unconscious.

Multiple Limbs The hecatoncheires’s arms can be targeted separately. Any attack that does enough damage to overcome its Thick Skin trait destroys an arm. An area effect can target 1 limb for every 10 foot of radius.

Reactive. The hecatoncheires can take 25 reactions, but only 2 per turn.

Thick Skin. The hecatoncheires is immune to all damage, except psychic damage, unless the attack or effect inflicts more than 10 hit points of damage, in which case it takes damage as normal.

Unstoppable. At any time, requiring no action, the hecatoncheires can take 30 hit points of damage and immediately end one condition or effects it is suffering. After taking the damage, the hecatoncheires cannot take reactions until the end of the next creature's turn.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The hecatoncheires makes 25 attacks: any combination of attacks, but no more than 10 ranged attacks. However, the hecantoncheires can only make one attack on each Medium or smaller target, two attacks on each Large target, four attacks on each Huge target and eight attacks on each Gargantuan target. If a creature has the colossal trait, the DM determines how many attacks can target that creature.

Battle Axe. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 80ft., one target. Hit: 28(4d8 + 10) slashing damage and the target must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or have its speed reduce in half until the end of its next turn.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 80ft., one target. Hit: 24 (4d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage and the creature must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw be knocked prone, pushed 20 feet or, if it is Medium or smaller, grappled.

Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 80ft., one target. Hit: 32 (4d10 + 10) slashing damage.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, range 600 ft., one target. Hit: 32 (4d10 + 10) bludgeoning damage.

Innate Spellcasting. The hecatoncheires’ spell casting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 24). dream larva can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At-will: fly, dispel magic
1/day each: imprisonment, scrying

Planar Leap (1/Day)*. The hecatoncheires cast the plane shift spell (self only). It arrives on the new plane by falling from the sky, crashing to the ground in an explosion of thunder and fire. Each creature within 500 feet of the point where the hecatoncheires lands must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 35 (10d6) bludgeoning damage, 35 (10d6) fire damage, and 35 (10d6) thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionaly, the area becomes difficult terrain for all Huge or smaller creatures.

*DM Note: If you start an encounter with the hecatoncheires arriving via a planar leap, increase the encounters CR to 35 and it is XP rewards to 265,000 / 530,00 (Mythic).

REACTIONS
Sacrificial Parry.
If the hecatoncheires is hit by an attack, it can choose to have one of it arms hit instead.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The hecatoncheires can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. If the hecatoncheires has unspent legendary actions at the end of the round, it may spend and immediately use its remaining legendary actions. The hecatoncheires regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Many Hands. The hecatoncheires uses its Multiattack action.
Regenerate. The hecatoncheires regains 30 hit points or regenerates one limb.
Move (Costs 2 Actions). The hecatoncheires moves half its speed.
Spellcasting (Costs 3 Actions). The hecatoncheires cast as spell.

ELITE ACTIONS
If the hecatoncheires' elite trait is active, it can use the options below as legendary actions for 1 hour after using Abomination.

Throw (Cost 3 Actions). Any Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by the hecatoncheires is thrown up to 120 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Hecatoncheires
Challenge
32 (195,000 XP)
Again, super cool monster with a super cool picture. And planar leap makes for a badass entrance. However, I think there is some streamlining we can do on this one.

1) First note, that low wisdom save can be very painful for such a high CR. For example, the slow spell (upcasted to 4th) would cripple this things offense into the dirt, now it could use unstoppable of course but than that means its parry is offline, and without that its AC is pretty "mundane" at that point.

But...that is a creative use of tactics so maybe that's just how you beat such a creature. Bestow Curse would also be very painful for it (which leads to an interesting question....can unstoppable remove a curse....even one that normally requires a specific spell to be rid of?).

I may be overthinking this.... I always assume that against such monsters the Party will literally have any spell in the book (either they have it, they find another high level buddy to cast it, they have a super scroll of it, etc)....and I never want to see such epic creatures become a breeze because of it...but unstoppable does help deal with a lot of that so maybe I'm overthinking the impact.

2) How do area attacks work against multiple limbs? Does it not work at all, do i destroy tons of heads in a single fireball?

3) The colossal trait has adjacent creatures making a dexterity save against its attacks, and since this thing gets so many that could force lots and lots and LOTS of saves. My suggestion would be, to simply apply the attack roll result to adjacent creatures, and then you hit and or miss as normal. Much quicker to run in game.

4) Parry and Multiple Limbs: Again we have a scenario where not only do I have to remember to parry, but then I have to track all of that damage across my various multiple limbs, which is just a lot of DM headache. So I would recommend a few changes:

a) For multiple limbs, simply have it that the limbs have 1 hp (but of course you still have to get through thick hide and the invulnerable to non-magic non-adamantine weapons). Now realistically, you have to kill a lot of limbs before a normal party will start seeing the benefits, so might as well make it easy.

b) Have parry either just work, or have it automatically take a limb out. No muss no fuss.

c) Let regenerate either heal 30 hp, or 1dX limbs grow back.

5) I would make parry a straight +10 AC. Yes that's a little bit outside of the math, but its easier to remember (AC 20 and 30), and frankly....it sounds cooler to players. When they hear the creature currently has a 30! AC....well that means something. Yes a 29 is badass but 30 is just so much cooler sounding.

dave2008

Legend
Again, super cool monster with a super cool picture. And planar leap makes for a badass entrance. However, I think there is some streamlining we can do on this one.
Thanks for the comments as always. I was hoping I might get through a few hours before I had to come back to this though. ;) I threw it together pretty quickly from an older design and I knew it needed more clean up.
1) First note, that low wisdom save can be very painful for such a high CR. For example, the slow spell (upcasted to 4th) would cripple this things offense into the dirt, now it could use unstoppable of course but than that means its parry is offline, and without that its AC is pretty "mundane" at that point.

But...that is a creative use of tactics so maybe that's just how you beat such a creature. Bestow Curse would also be very painful for it (which leads to an interesting question....can unstoppable remove a curse....even one that normally requires a specific spell to be rid of?).

I may be overthinking this.... I always assume that against such monsters the Party will literally have any spell in the book (either they have it, they find another high level buddy to cast it, they have a super scroll of it, etc)....and I never want to see such epic creatures become a breeze because of it...but unstoppable does help deal with a lot of that so maybe I'm overthinking the impact.
I would say unstoppable works on curses, it says any condition or effect. It has so many immunities and resistances I think leaving some gaps is OK.
2) How do area attacks work against multiple limbs? Does it not work at all, do i destroy tons of heads in a single fireball?
I will have to think about. The old design discussed this, but I removed it. It originally said:

"If the hecatoncheires is targeted by an area of effect, the DM will determine if the effect targets its limbs, body, or a combination of its parts. If multiple parts are affected, each body part takes damage separately."

Should I add this back in, or do you have a better idea?
3) The colossal trait has adjacent creatures making a dexterity save against its attacks, and since this thing gets so many that could force lots and lots and LOTS of saves. My suggestion would be, to simply apply the attack roll result to adjacent creatures, and then you hit and or miss as normal. Much quicker to run in game.
Good point. I've used the save before, but I didn't consider the number of attacks with the big H. I've changed it. I bit wordy, but I think it works.
4) Parry and Multiple Limbs: Again we have a scenario where not only do I have to remember to parry, but then I have to track all of that damage across my various multiple limbs, which is just a lot of DM headache. So I would recommend a few changes:

a) For multiple limbs, simply have it that the limbs have 1 hp (but of course you still have to get through thick hide and the invulnerable to non-magic non-adamantine weapons). Now realistically, you have to kill a lot of limbs before a normal party will start seeing the benefits, so might as well make it easy.

b) Have parry either just work, or have it automatically take a limb out. No muss no fuss.

c) Let regenerate either heal 30 hp, or 1dX limbs grow back.
Good points. I've revised multiple limbs and parry. Let me know what you think.
5) I would make parry a straight +10 AC. Yes that's a little bit outside of the math, but its easier to remember (AC 20 and 30), and frankly....it sounds cooler to players. When they hear the creature currently has a 30! AC....well that means something. Yes a 29 is badass but 30 is just so much cooler sounding.

Remove ads