D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

Stalker0

Legend
We are getting there!

1) For the collossal trait, here's a slight change in language for the attack routine.

"Additionally, when a medium creature is hit by an attack, any adjacent creature is subject to the same attack, using the same attack result."

2) You have dream larva in the language here and there.

3) I like the sacrificial parry idea. Its really strong but tends to consume limbs over time, and you made regeneration fairly weak for limbs so realistically you are burning a resource you are not getting back in the same fight. I like it.

4) You have two entries for reactions, one in the reactive sections and one in the multiple heads section.

5) If you are still working on a monster and want to do more work before I comment, just keep using your WIP tag. I don't comment on those creatures.

6) On area attacks. Ok I went engineer nerd for a second, and did some napkin math. Basically going, okay take the surface area of the monster as a big block, remove the bottom, cut the area to a 4th (we are assuming the limbs are really packed near the middle of the body), and then looked at how much surface area would be between the heads, and how much could a big area actually affect? Again its very basic, I didn't get super detailed, but the heads are pretty darn far apart in that model. So based on my numbers, here is a very simple way to translate into game mechanics that is at least reasonable to scale.

Multiple Limbs: An area effect can target 1 limb for every 10 foot of radius.

Now at bigger radiuses this starts to break down, but it simple and I think that's more important. But yeah you are not reasonably going to get 3-4 limbs with a fireball like some players would naturally try to do, the heads are much more spread out on such a crazy large creature. If you do go that route, it means a meteor swarm would destroy 16 of the limbs (4x 40 foot hits), so you can decide how much you want a 9th level spell to be factor wise.

Stalker0

Legend
On the Dream Larva, something kind of fun to throw into such an epic creature. A little "Freddy Krugar" style.

Dream Resurrection: When the dream larva dies, if any creature within 100 ft is asleep or currently subject to a nightmare visage, the Dream Larva returns to life with 1 hp.

dave2008

Legend
We are getting there!

1) For the collossal trait, here's a slight change in language for the attack routine.

"Additionally, when a medium creature is hit by an attack, any adjacent creature is subject to the same attack, using the same attack result."
I like it - changed.
2) You have dream larva in the language here and there.
I had dragons, archons, and atropals in there at one point too. I think I found them all now.
4) You have two entries for reactions, one in the reactive sections and one in the multiple heads section.
Corrected
5) If you are still working on a monster and want to do more work before I comment, just keep using your WIP tag. I don't comment on those creatures.
That is the general idea.
6) On area attacks. Ok I went engineer nerd for a second, and did some napkin math. Basically going, okay take the surface area of the monster as a big block, remove the bottom, cut the area to a 4th (we are assuming the limbs are really packed near the middle of the body), and then looked at how much surface area would be between the heads, and how much could a big area actually affect? Again its very basic, I didn't get super detailed, but the heads are pretty darn far apart in that model. So based on my numbers, here is a very simple way to translate into game mechanics that is at least reasonable to scale.

Multiple Limbs: An area effect can target 1 limb for every 10 foot of radius.

Now at bigger radiuses this starts to break down, but it simple and I think that's more important. But yeah you are not reasonably going to get 3-4 limbs with a fireball like some players would naturally try to do, the heads are much more spread out on such a crazy large creature. If you do go that route, it means a meteor swarm would destroy 16 of the limbs (4x 40 foot hits), so you can decide how much you want a 9th level spell to be factor wise.
Thank you for looking into it so in-depth. I will use that.

Thank you for the comments and review. I've updated the Hecatoncheires as suggested.

dave2008

Legend
On the Dream Larva, something kind of fun to throw into such an epic creature. A little "Freddy Krugar" style.

Dream Resurrection: When the dream larva dies, if any creature within 100 ft is asleep or currently subject to a nightmare visage, the Dream Larva returns to life with 1 hp.
Love it - consider it added!

dave2008

Legend
Infernal
Large fiend (titan), any evil alignment
1602895912423.png

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 406 (28d10 + 252; bloodied 203)
Speed 60 ft., fly 180 ft.
1602895913676.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
28 (+9)25 (+7)28 (+9)22 (+6)26 (+8)29 (+9)
1602895915157.png

Savings Throws Dex +14, Con +16, Wis +15, Cha +16
Skills acrobatics +14, arcana +13, diplomacy +16, perception +15, stealth +14
Damage Resistances cold, fire; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical and not adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified
Senses truesight 240 ft., passive Perception 25
Languages All, telepathy 240 ft.
Challenge 23 (50,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +7
1602895916330.png

Abominable Nature. The infernal is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form, control its mind, detect its thoughts, ascertain its emotions, or magic that would put it to sleep.

Brutal. The infernal's melee attacks deal an extra 10 damage of the attacks type on a hit (included in the attack).

Adaptive Magic Immunity. Unless it wishes to be affected, the infernal is immune to cantrips. Additionally, if it is targeted by a spell or similar magic, and after any effects or conditions afflicted by the magic end for the infernal, it is immune to the spell or magic for 24 hours.

Magic Weapons. The infernal’s weapon attacks are magical.

Unstoppable. At any time, requiring no action, the infernal can take 30 hit points of damage and immediately end one condition or effect it is suffering. After taking the damage, the infernal cannot take reactions until the end of its next turn.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The infernal makes four melee attacks. The infernal can substitute one Fireball for two melee attacks.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 5ft., one target. Hit: 26 (2d6 + 19) slashing damage and the target must make a DC 26 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 5ft., one target that is incapacitated or grappled by the infernal. Hit: 28 (2d8 + 19) piercing damage and the creature must make a DC 24 Constitution saving throw or its highest available spell slot is spent, as if it had cast a spell, or the infernal regains 30 hit points, or the infernal recharges one of its spent innate spells, or the infernal ends one condition it is suffering.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 28 (2d8 + 19) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 26 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Fireball. The infernal selects a point it can see within 150 feet of it. A bolt of flame streaks from its hand to the point and explodes in a 20-foot radius ball of flames. Each creature in the area must make a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) fire damage on failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Innate Spellcasting. The infernal’s spell casting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 24, +16 to hit with attack spells). The infernal can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At-will: detect evil and good, dispel magic, fireball, scrying
3/day each: blight, polymorph, telekinesis, teleport
1/day each: fire storm, symbol

Summon Fiend (1/Day). The infernal conjures fiends whose combined average hit points don’t exceed 400. These fiends magically rise up from the ground or otherwise form in unoccupied spaces within 300 feet of the infernal and obey its commands until they are destroyed or until it dismisses them as a bonus action.

REACTIONS
Wing Attack.
When two or more creatures end their turn within the infernal's reach, it beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the infernal must succeed on a DC 26 Dexterity saving throw or take 16 (2d6 + 9) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The infernal can then fly up to half its flying speed.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
goleamag.gif

magma golem (unknown)

Phaethon
Gargantuan elemental (titan), chaotic evil
1602895912423.png

Armor Class 22 (natural armor)
Hit Points 585 (30d20 + 270; bloodied 292)
Speed 90 ft., burrow 60 ft.
1602895913676.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
30 (+10)25 (+7)29 (+9)10 (+0)18 (+4)27 (+8)
1602895915157.png

Savings Throws Dex +16, Int +9, Wis +13, Cha +17
Skills athletics +19, perception +13, stealth +16
Damage Resistances cold, radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical and not adamantine
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, stunned
Senses truesight 500 ft., passive Perception 25
Languages Ignan, Primordial
Challenge 30 (155,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +9
1602895916330.png

Abominable Nature. The phaethon is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form, control its mind, detect its thoughts, ascertain its emotions, or magic that would put it to sleep.

Eruption. When the phaethon burrows out of the ground, the area where it erupts becomes difficult terrain for Large and smaller creatures and it any creature that starts or ends its turn in the area takes 7 (2d6) fire damage. These effects last for one minute.

Magic Resistance. The phaethon has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the elemental has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magma Form. The phaethon can move through a space as narrow as 1 foot wide without squeezing. A creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of the elemental or hits it with a melee attack while within 10 feet of it takes 17 (4d6) fire damage. In addition, the phaethon can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. Additionally, the phaethon sheds dim light in a 30-foot radius.

Tunneler. The phaethon can burrow through solid rock at half its burrow speed and leaves a 10-foot-diameter tunnel in its wake. any creature that enters or ends its turn in the tunnel within one minute of its creation takes 7 (2d6) fire damage.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The phaethon makes four pseudopod attacks. The phaethon can substitute two pseudopod attacks for one Fireball or Swallow attack.

Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8 + 10) magical slashing damage plus 14 (4d6) fire damage and if the target is Huge or smaller it must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Fireball. The phaethon selects a point it can see within 150 feet of it. A bolt of flame streaks from its hand to the point and explodes in a 20-foot radius ball of flames. Each creature in the area must make a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw, taking 42 (12d6) fire damage on failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Swallow. The phaethon attempts to pull a Huge or smaller creature it has grappled into its body. The target must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be pulled into the phaethon's space, ending the grapple, and be swallowed. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the phaethon, and it takes 35 (10d6) fire damage and 35 (10d6) bludgeoning damage at the start of each of the phaethon's turns. A swallowed creature can make an additional saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success, the conditions end for it and the creature appears in an unoccupied space adjacent to the phaethon.

If the phaethon dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 30 feet of movement.

Innate Spellcasting. The phaethon’s spell casting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 25, +17 to hit with attack spells). The phaethon can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At-will: fireball (12d6), flame strike
3/day each: fire storm, wall of fire
1/day each: scrying

Summon Elementals (1/day). The phaethon summons 2d4 elder fire elementals or 1d4 ancient fire elementals to unoccupied spaces within 180 feet of the phaethon.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The phaethon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. If the phaethon has unspent legendary actions at the end of the round, it may spend and immediately use its remaining legendary actions. The phaethon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Attack. The phaethon makes a pseudopod attack.
Unstoppable. The phaethon removes one condition or effect it is suffering. It can do so if it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.
Spellcasting (Costs 2 Actions). The phaethon casts a spell.
Magma Flow (Cost 3 Actions). The phaethon moves up to half its speed and can enter other creatures spaces. The first time it enters a creatures space during this movement, the creature must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be swallowed.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I'm guessing the Infernal is not a titan?
Actually it is. In 5e it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with size (Though everything with the tag in 5e so far is at least Huge). Pretty much anything that was an "Abomination" in 3e is a "Titan" in 5e. From the 5e DMG, pg 11:
1615761505498.png

Nothing about size there. Here is the 3e description if you want:
1615761907158.png
Also, why does it cast fly when it has a fly speed?
Copy/paste error. The hecantocheires had the fly spell and I forgot to delete it. Thank you for catching that!

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hey Dave - the phaethon has a number of copy/paste errors with references to 'infernal' and in the Legendary Actions references to the atropal. In the Summon Elementals ability you reference 'fiends'. Also, the life drain in the legendary actions should be changed / removed (no life drain ability) and I'm not clear if the intent for Wail applies either.

dave2008

Legend
Hey Dave - the phaethon has a number of copy/paste errors with references to 'infernal' and in the Legendary Actions references to the atropal. In the Summon Elementals ability you reference 'fiends'. Also, the life drain in the legendary actions should be changed / removed (no life drain ability) and I'm not clear if the intent for Wail applies either.
Dax, anything under the "spoiler" tag is a work in progress. I've basically only copied and pasted other monsters so far, I haven't even started the design. i hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow.

Remove ads