• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

That Phane is really cool. Like it!

Only thing, keep it to just an Int save versus Stasis Touch. Too rarely are they used and it'll put fear into clerics, paladins and everyone else buffing Wis saves 😈

dave2008

Legend
Kord
Large humanoid (avatar),chaotic good
1602256202043.png

Armor Class 22 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 450 (36d10 + 252)
Speed 80 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover), swim 60 ft.
1602256207010.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
32 (+11)20 (+5)25 (+7)19 (+4)21 (+5)26 (+8)
1602256205621.png

Saving Throws Str + 19, Dex +13, Con +15, Int + 12, Wis +13, Cha +16
Skills Athletics +19, Intimidation +16, Perception +13
Damage Resistances cold, force, poison, thunder
Damage Immunities lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons that are not adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, petrified
Senses truesight 240 ft., passive perception 23
Languages Common, Draconic, Giant, telepathy 240 ft.
Challenge 27 (105,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +8
1602256208263.png

Champion’s Aura. All allies within a 90-foot radius of Kord have advantage on saving throws against being frightened. Additionally, the first time they enter the aura each day they gain 20 temporary hit points. The temporary hit points remain for up to 1 hr.

Divine Might. Kord's attacks and magical effects ignore the resistances of creatures of CR/level 20 or below.

God of Strength. Kord has advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks and saving throws. If he grapples a creature, it is also restrained until it is no longer grappled by Kord. Additionally, Kord applies twice his Strength modifier to damage on melee attacks (included in the attack).

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Kord fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.

Limited Magic Immunity. Unless Kord wishes, he is immune to spells of 3rd level or lower. Additionally, Kord has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against Kord has disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
Kord makes two attacks, any combination of Greatsword, Lightning Bolt, and Slam attacks.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack. +19 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (4d6 + 22) magical slashing damage plus 22 (4d10) lightning damage and an additional 35 (10d6) magical slashing damage against dragons.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (2d8 + 22) magical bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be grappled, knocked prone, or pushed up to 40 feet. The target automatically fails this saving throw if Kord hits it twice with a Slam attack on the same turn.

Lightning Bolt. Kord throws a bolt of lightning that is 100-foot line and 5 feet wide. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 49 (14d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.

Throw. Kord throws one object or creature he is holding or grappling in a direction of his choosing. He can throw a gargantuan object 60 ft, a huge object 80 feet, a large object 100 feet, and a medium or smaller object 120 feet. A creature can avoid being thrown by succeed on a DC 27 Strength (Athletics) check, escaping the grapple on a success. A thrown target is knocked prone when it lands and if it strikes a solid surface the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

Thunderous Teleport. With a flash of lightning and a thunderous boom, Kord teleports to an unoccupied space he can see within 120 feet of him. Creatures within a 10-foot radius of the point Kord leaves or where ee arrives must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw, taking 11 (2d10) lighting damage, 11 (2d10) thunder damage, and be deafened for 1 minute on failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Innate Spellcasting. Kord’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 24, +16 to hit with attack spells). Kord can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: clairvoyance, control weather, compelled duel, ice storm, hold creature, lightning bolt, scrying
3/day each: blade barrier, divine word, dominate monster, heroes’ feast, teleport
1/day each: foresight, storm of vengeance

Summon Allies (1/day). Kord magically summons one of the following groups of allies: 1d8 + 4 berserkers, 1d4+1 hill giants, 1d4 frost giants

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Kord can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. If Kord has unspent legendary actions at the end of the round, it may spend and immediately use its remaining legendary actions. Kord regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Crush. One creature Kord has grappled takes 22 bludgeoning damage.
Move. Kord can move up to half his speed.
Regenerate. Kord regenerates 30 hit points
Slam. Kord makes a Slam attack.
Attack (Cost 2 Actions). Kord makes a Greatsword or Shot Put attack, or casts Lightning Bolt.
Thunder (Cost 2 Actions). Kord uses his Thunderous Teleport.
Sleeper Hold (Costs 3 Actions). One creature that Kord has grappled must make a DC 27 Constitution saving throw. On a failure the target suffers one level of exhaustion and falls unconscious for 1 minute, on a success the target suffers one level of exhaustion for 1 minute.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Good. Catches a Str god's flavour nicely.

Didn't know you'd be doing avatars?

You went back to legendary resistance, or it this a wip?
Well, I don't know if I will be doing them for all the gods, but this was a request. The full deities are getting further from standard 5e, so I've been struggling with a method to make them compatible with standard 5e and ASCENSION. The easy method was to give them all avatars (4e did it after all). However, it will also be possible to use a the ASCENSION stat block, with some modification (still working on how much), to create and "Aspect" of the god. In ASCENSION, an Aspect is greater than an Avatar and you must be a least a Lesser Deity to make one.

Avatars are basically to be used with regular games so they will use standard rules. The full deity stat block uses multiple turns instead of Legendary Actions.

Stalker0

Legend
Phane
Challenge
20 (25,000 XP)
This guy has a lot of cool flavor and some really slick abilities. Honestly I actually think he's over abilitied:

1) Time Warp - the creature already has a bonus action teleport and lots of "stop you" effects, this one seems like overkill to me.

2) Time Leap - This one is really interesting, its probably one of the few times I could actually imagine giving up my entire round to get cooler on the next round....though most of the time its still probably not worth it, I would at least consider it. I don't know if it needs to be recharge, 1/day is probably more than enough, and one less thing for the DM to worry about.

3) Between Stasis Touch and Null Time field, players are going to HATE this guy with a passion! I do think its weird that one save is wisdom and one intelligence....as they are both dealing with time. I don't have a strong preference on which one is which, but it feels like they should be the same type personally.

4) I feel like Shadowy Escape and Temporal Resistance could be combined in a way, again to reduce the things the DM has to think about. The idea.

Shadowy Escape (Recharge 5-6): When hit by an attack or a targeted spell, the phane is unaffected and may teleport up to 30 feet. This ability does not work on area effects.

5) Time Leach - Does it have a range or is it infinite?

6) In 5e, even ghosts have strength scores, so its probably worth giving it something. A standard ghost has a 7 for reference.

dave2008

Legend
This guy has a lot of cool flavor and some really slick abilities. Honestly I actually think he's over abilitied:
Yes, I tend to agree. I was converting from the 3e version and perhaps was trying to convert everything to much instead of getting the flavor right.

And thank you for the comments.
1) Time Warp - the creature already has a bonus action teleport and lots of "stop you" effects, this one seems like overkill to me.
I deleted it. It was one I added, IRC.
2) Time Leap - This one is really interesting, its probably one of the few times I could actually imagine giving up my entire round to get cooler on the next round....though most of the time its still probably not worth it, I would at least consider it. I don't know if it needs to be recharge, 1/day is probably more than enough, and one less thing for the DM to worry about.
I made it once per short or long rest
3) Between Stasis Touch and Null Time field, players are going to HATE this guy with a passion! I do think its weird that one save is wisdom and one intelligence....as they are both dealing with time. I don't have a strong preference on which one is which, but it feels like they should be the same type personally.
I made them both intelligence. They were both Wisdom at one point and then I changed one and forgot the other!
4) I feel like Shadowy Escape and Temporal Resistance could be combined in a way, again to reduce the things the DM has to think about. The idea.

Shadowy Escape (Recharge 5-6): When hit by an attack or a targeted spell, the phane is unaffected and may teleport up to 30 feet. This ability does not work on area effects.
I tried a few different things, but ended up going with a version of our suggestion - thanks!
5) Time Leach - Does it have a range or is it infinite?
I added a range - nice catch.
6) In 5e, even ghosts have strength scores, so its probably worth giving it something. A standard ghost has a 7 for reference.
I wondered about this too. In 3e it add no Strength score, so I went with that. I found some other 5e conversion and they went with a score of 1. So I will do that too. However, I wonder how this interacts with Strength checks and saves? The idea is that it is unaffected, and cannot affect, such things. Well it is a 1 for now.

Stalker0

Legend
I wondered about this too. In 3e it add no Strength score, so I went with that. I found some other 5e conversion and they went with a score of 1. So I will do that too. However, I wonder how this interacts with Strength checks and saves? The idea is that it is unaffected, and cannot affect, such things. Well it is a 1 for now.
5e tended to go away from that concept. For example constructs now have intelligence and constitution scores, and can be critted. So while a ghost is immune to many things you would use strength checks to do (such as grapple), if you had some wonky ability that knocked them back with a strength save, it would still work on them. That was an intentional design choice in 5e.

dave2008

Legend
...you would use strength checks to do (such as grapple), if you had some wonky ability that knocked them back with a strength save, it would still work on them. That was an intentional design choice in 5e.
That was the kind of thing I wanted to avoid with the phane though. You can do those things to it. I will think about it though.

dave2008

Legend
Zakum
Gargantuan monstrosity, unaligned
1599532079862.png

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 370 (20d20 + 160; bloodied 185)
Speed 60 ft., fly 120 ft. (hover)
1599532081497.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
25 (+7)18 (+4)26 (+8)29 (+9)24 (+7)27 (+8)
1599532083092.png

Savings Throws Dex +12, Con +14, Int +18, Wis +15
Skills Arcana +25, History +17, Intimidation +16, Perception +15, Persuasion + 16
Damage Resistances force, necrotic
Damage Immunities poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical and is not adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 25
Languages All, telepathy 240 ft., see also telepathic bond
Challenge 25 (75,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +7
1599532084744.png

Arcane Mastery. A zakum can cast spells without material components, it can concentrate on up to two spells at a time and only one spell is interrupted each time it fails a concentration check. Additionally, after the zakum finishes a Short Rest, it regains expended spell slots with combined levels of ten or less.

Magic Resistance. The zakum has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the zakum has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Shielded Mind. Attempts to communicate telepathically with the zakum, or to read its mind, always fail. A creature making an attempt must succeed on a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell.

Telepathic Bond. Zakum are telepathic connected to each other and can communicate telepathically with each other as long as they are on the same plane.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The zakum can make two Slam attacks or cast two at will spells.

Slam. Melee weapon attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (4d6 + 7) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 23 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone, pushed 20 feet, or, if the target is Medium or smaller, grappled, the zakum's choice.

Fireball. The zakum selects a point it can see within 150 feet of it. A bolt of flame streaks from its hand to the point and explodes in a 20-foot radius ball of flames. Each creature in the area must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) fire damage on failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.

Lightning Bolt. A stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from the zakum. Each creature in the line must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried

Ray of Frost. Ranged Spell Attack. +17 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit. 18 (4d8) cold damage and the target's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the end of the Zakum's next turn.

Spellcasting. The zakum is a 20th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 25, +17 to hit with spell attacks). The zakum has the following wizard spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): mage hand, mending, minor illusion, ray of frost*, shocking grasp
1st level (at will): charm person, detect magic, magic missile, shield, sleep
2nd level (at will): blur, knock, hold person, invisibility, scorching ray, suggestion
3rd level (at will): clairvoyance, counterspell, dispel magic, fireball*, lightning bolt*, sending
4th level (4 slots): banishment, blight, ice storm, phantasmal killer, polymorph
5th level (3 slots): cloudkill, hold monster, scrying, wall of force, telekinesis
6th level (3 slots): chain lightning, circle of death, disintegrate, mass suggestion
7th level (3 slots): finger of death, forcecage, plane shift, teleport
8th level (2 slots): feeblemind, mind blank, power word stun
9th level (2 slots): power word kill, prismatic wall, time stop

*these spells are listed under Actions

BONUS ACTIONS
Metamagic (3/Rest).
The zakum can apply one of the following metamagic traits to spell it is casting:
  • Double the range of the spell.
  • Add 9 to the damage of the spell's damage type.
  • Double the duration of the spell.
  • Force the target of the spell to make the first saving throw against the spell with disadvantage.
  • Exclude up to 9 creatures of its choice from the affects of the spell.
REACTIONS
Magic Absorption. When the zakum comes into contact with spell or magical effect, or it is the target of spell attack, or within the area of effect of a spell, it can attempt to absorb the magic. The zakum must make an Intelligence (Arcana) check with the DC equal to 25 + the spell's level. On a success, the zakum suffers no effects from the spell and instead regains one lost spell slot or use of meta magic. On a failure, the spell works normally, but the zakum's magic resistance still applies.

War Casting. When a creature provokes an opportunity attack, the zakum may cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action and that targets only that creature, rather than making an opportunity attack.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The zakum can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The zakum regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.

Quick Casting. The zakum casts a cantrip.
Slam. The zakum makes a slam attack.
At-Will Spell (Cost 2 Actions). The zakum casts one of its at-will spells.
Teleport (Cost 2 Actions). The zakum, and anything it is wearing or carrying, can teleport to an unoccupied space it can see within 240 feet of it.
Spell Casting (Costs 3 Actions). The zakum casts a spell

Last edited:

Remove ads