D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
In trying to design a unique, alien beholder (using this thread as inspiration), I created a CR 8 beholder (gauth?) to challenge lower-level players and make beholder hive encounters more viable. In addition to remixing typical beholder abilities, I specifically chose eye rays that correspond to the 5e beholder zombie's "decayed" eye rays. I landed on CR 8, but I might be wrong with that estimate. Let me know what you think!

I like it - thank you for sharing. A few notes:
  • I came up with a CR of 7, without including the anti-magic cone and "death throes." With those two added I think a CR 8 seems about right. Note I assumed the best possible damage, but with random eye rays that may be a bit generous. However,...
  • ...it has rally low HP, and just average AC. A big reason for this is the 5 save proficiencies (which add 4 to the effective AC). I think it would be better to just have 2 saving throws and then you can bump up the HP. If you do that you could bump the HP to the 100-115 range.
  • The beholder can use any eye ray with its legendary action. This one can only use an incineration ray. Is that the intent? I would think you would want more variety.

inthegreylight

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback! I also calculated a CR of 7 initially, but I figured the anti-magic cone and ability to shoot eye rays from way up in the air would bump it up to 8.
...it has rally low HP, and just average AC. A big reason for this is the 5 save proficiencies (which add 4 to the effective AC). I think it would be better to just have 2 saving throws and then you can bump up the HP. If you do that you could bump the HP to the 100-115 range.
Less saves and more HP it is, then. I didn't realize how much the save proficiencies were propping up the CR.
The beholder can use any eye ray with its legendary action. This one can only use an incineration ray. Is that the intent? I would think you would want more variety.
That is the intent, yes. There were a few reasons for this, whether or not they're good reasons:
- Since this is a lesser beholder, I wanted it to mainly blast damaging laser beams with a few special eye rays, highlighting the contrast with a true beholder if one is encountered later on.
- Beholder zombies fire only one ray per round, and if they can survive long enough to fire all their special rays in an encounter, I figure so can this beholder. Especially with the lesser beholder's range and various defensive abilities.
- The 4e beholder eye of flame was a big inspiration for this monster, and it used one fire ray and one special ray each round.
- I was concerned that with a 1 in 4 chance of using its disintegration ray, using its normal eye rays several times a round would soon reduce a lower-level party to powder.

To ensure the encounter stays interesting, I could make each normal eye ray a 1/rest ability and say something like "The beholder shoots a random available magical eye ray at a creature within 150 feet. Once all four of its eye rays have been used, they all refresh." But I think that might negate the fun of a beholder's eye rays being unpredictable.

dave2008

Legend
Thanks for the feedback!
Your welcome!
Less saves and more HP it is, then. I didn't realize how much the save proficiencies were propping up the CR.
3-4 saves = +2 to effective AC; 5-6 saves = +4 to effective AC (it is in the DMG, but easy to miss)
That is the intent, yes. There were a few reasons for this, whether or not they're good reasons:
- Since this is a lesser beholder, I wanted it to mainly blast damaging laser beams with a few special eye rays, highlighting the contrast with a true beholder if one is encountered later on.
- Beholder zombies fire only one ray per round, and if they can survive long enough to fire all their special rays in an encounter, I figure so can this beholder. Especially with the lesser beholder's range and various defensive abilities.
- The 4e beholder eye of flame was a big inspiration for this monster, and it used one fire ray and one special ray each round.
- I was concerned that with a 1 in 4 chance of using its disintegration ray, using its normal eye rays several times a round would soon reduce a lower-level party to powder.

To ensure the encounter stays interesting, I could make each normal eye ray a 1/rest ability and say something like "The beholder shoots a random available magical eye ray at a creature within 150 feet. Once all four of its eye rays have been used, they all refresh." But I think that might negate the fun of a beholder's eye rays being unpredictable.
OK, just wanted to make sure it was working as intended. No worries.

dave2008

Legend
In light of recent changes by WotC I will be looking into updating the stat blocks to align with the new philosophy, if not match it 100%. One of the changes in the new WotC is to eliminate the "Magical Weapons" trait and replace it with Force damage in the attack action.

I like the idea of streamlining the traits section, but not revising damage to be force damage. Therefore, I am proposing adding the word "magical" to the damage type (I believe @Mike Myler did this with his stat blocks) as follows:

Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8 + 10) magical slashing damage plus 14 (4d6) fire damage and if the target is Huge or smaller it must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

What do you think? Does that seem acceptable?

Last edited:

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I light of recent changes by WotC I will be looking into updating the stat blocks to align with the new philosophy, if not match it 100%. One of the changes in the new WotC is to eliminate the "Magical Weapons" trait and replace it with Force damage in the attack action.

I like the idea of streamlining the traits section, but not revising damage to be force damage. Therefor, I am proposing adding the word "magical" to the damage type (I believe @Mike Myler did this with his stat blocks) as follows:

Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d8 + 10) magical slashing damage plus 14 (4d6) fire damage and if the target is Huge or smaller it must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

I think this works fine. I’m personally of mixed options on the switch from magical damage to force damage that WotC as implemented (though it makes me curious how the will handle magical weapons player side in the revision). I think it makes sense for powerful, legendary monsters like greatwyrms, avatars/aspects of gods, arch-devils, demon lords and beings of that nature. But for more standard monsters I feel that it’s too much.

Also I don’t think I’ve gotten to say how much I love this thread and how I’m excited to use some of these stat blocks in my upcoming campaign.

In light of recent changes by WotC I will be looking into updating the stat blocks to align with the new philosophy, if not match it 100%. One of the changes in the new WotC is to eliminate the "Magical Weapons" trait and replace it with Force damage in the attack action.

I like the idea of streamlining the traits section, but not revising damage to be force damage. Therefore, I am proposing adding the word "magical" to the damage type (I believe @Mike Myler did this with his stat blocks) as follows:

I was thinking of spiritual damage for celestials and fiends (and maybe for clerics using divine strike), leaving force damage for primal/arcane types like uber elementals and archfey. When an archfiend hits you, it doesn't just hit you, it hits your soul.

dave2008

Legend
1649646406428.png

Godzilla by Vsales (www.deviantart.com/vsales/art/Godzilla-878249589)

Godzilla
Gargantuan dragon (kaiju), unaligned
1599001648085.png

Armor Class 25 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 717 (35d20 + 350)
Speed 400 ft., swim 1,000 ft
1599001644097.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
30 (+10)11 (+0)30 (+10)7 (-2)14 (+2)30 (+10)
1599001649174.png

Saving Throws Str +19, Con +19, Dex +9, Cha +19
Skills Athletics +28, Perception +11
Damage Resistances acid, fire, force, necrotic, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical Attacks
Damage Immunities lightning, psychic, radiant
Condition Immunities frightened, poisoned
Senses Darkvision 10,000 ft., Passive Perception 21
Languages understands Common but can't speak
Challenge 30 (155,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +9
1599001651489.png

Adamantine Weapons. Godzilla's weapon attacks are considered adamantine and magical for overcoming resistances and immunities.

Brutal. Godzilla's melee attacks deal an extra 140 damage of the attacks type on a hit (included in the attack).

Colossal. Godzilla is 350 feet tall and its space is 230 feet by 230 feet. Any creature without the Colossal trait can enter its space and must do so to hit it with an attack with a reach or range of 20 feet or less. Additionally, Godzilla has advantage on checks and saving throws to be pushed, pulled, or grappled by creature's without the Colossal trait.

Damage Threshold.* Godzilla is immune to all damage unless the attack or effect inflicts more than 20 hit points of damage, in which case it takes damage as normal.

(*Note: this trait is not factored in the CR, consider removing this trait if you wish to have PCs challenge Godzilla)

Giant Monster. When Godzilla moves, its space and the ground within 50 feet of it is violently rent. The area becomes difficult terrain and any Huge or smaller creature in the area must make a DC 27 Dexterity check or be knocked prone, loose Concentration. Structures in this area take 150 bludgeoning damage. Additionally, a creature in an area devastated by Godzilla, refer to Giant Monster, must make a DC 27 Constitution saving throw for each minute it spends in the area or become poisoned.

Kaiju (Mythic Trait, 10 per Rest). If Godzilla is reduced to 0 hit points, its current hit point total becomes 717, all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, it recharges all of its abilities, and it can use its Mythic actions. Award a party an additional 155,000 XP each time Godzilla uses its Kaiju mythic trait (1,705,000 XP maximum).

Immutable Form. Godzilla is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Radioactive. When an attack or effect of Godzilla's inflicts the poisoned condition, it ignores immunity to the poisoned condition. Creatures poisoned by Godzilla loose 1 hit point from their hit point total every 24 hrs. A Greater Restoration or similar powerful magic can remove the condition.

Siege Monster. Godzilla deals double damage to objects, structures, and creatures of Huge size and larger.

ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 40 ft., one target that has the Colossal trait. Hit: 342 (35d10 + 150) piercing damage. Each creature within a 20-foot radius of the target must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage as the target.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 75 ft., one target that has the Colossal trait*. Hit: 272 (35d6 + 150) slashing damage and the target must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 200 feet, knocked prone, or grappled, Godzilla's choice. Each creature within a 20-foot radius of the target must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage as the target.

*Godzilla can also use this attack against creatures on its body.

Stomp. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 75 ft., one Gargantuan or smaller target or prone or incapacitated target with the colossal trait. Hit: 307 (35d8 + 150) bludgeoning damage and fall prone. Until Godzilla uses its Stomp again or moves, the target is restrained. While restrained in this way, the creature (or another creature within 5 feet of it) can use its action to make a DC 27 Strength check. On a success, the creature relocates to an unoccupied space of its choice within 5 feet of Godzilla and is no longer restrained. Each creature within a 30-foot radius of the target must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage, knocked prone, and restrained as the target.

Tail Attack. Godzilla can make on of the following attacks.
  • Tail Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 400 ft., one target with the Colossal trait. Hit: 307 (35d8 + 150) bludgeoning damage and the target must make a DC 27 Constitution saving throw or be stunned for 1 minute. The target can make a saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the condition on itself on a success.
  • Tail Sweep. Godzilla sweeps its tail in a 400-foot arc. Each creature in the area must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 307 (35d8 + 150) bludgeoning damage and knocked prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Godzilla needs a full round to prepare this attack, taking no other actions before it use its Tail Sweep.
Breath Weapons. Godzilla can use one of the following breath weapons. Godzilla must charge its breath weapons for two full rounds, taking no other actions before it can use its breath weapons. A creature reduced to 0 hit points by Godzilla's breath weapons is disintegrated and dies. Additionally, targets that fail their saving throw by 10 or more (DC 17) take maximum damage from these attacks.
  • Radioactive Beam. Godzilla exhales a super-heated beam in a 5,000-foot line that is 30 feet wide. The first creature in the line must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 315 (30d20) fire damage plus 315 (30d20) force damage plus 315 (30d20) necrotic damage and poisoned on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If a target is disintegrated by this attack, the beam continues to the next target in the line.
  • Radioactive Breath. Godzilla exhales super-heated flames in a 3,000-foot cone. Each creature in area must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 157 (15d20) fire damage plus 157 (15d20) force damage plus 157 (15d20) necrotic damage and poisoned on a failed save and be incapacitated until the end of its next turn on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Godzilla can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Godzilla can use any unspent legendary actions at the end of each round and it regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Unstoppable. Godzilla removes one condition or effect it is suffering. It can do so if it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.
Claw (Costs 2 Actions). Godzilla makes a Claw attack.
Regenerate (Costs 3 Actions). Godzilla regains 100 hit points.

MYTHIC ACTIONS
If Godzilla's mythic trait is active, it can use the options below as legendary actions for 1 hour after using Kaiju.

Bite (Costs 2 Actions). Godzilla makes a Bite attack.
Pulse (Costs 3 Actions, Recharge 1/Rest). After Godzilla's fourth use of its Kaiju mythic trait, it can create a wave of kinetic energy in a 1,000-foot radius centered on it. Each creature in the wave must make a DC 27 Strength saving throw or pushed to the edge of the wave and knocked prone.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Well I need a break form life so I finally decided to put up some Kaiju. So I stared with the King of the Monsters: Godzilla (Mythic-10, CR 30)

FYI, by Mythic-10 I mean it can use its Mythic Trait 10 times before it truly hits 0 hit points. I tried to stretch the CR rules about as far as I could, let me know what you think.

ChaosKing002

Explorer
Well I need a break form life so I finally decided to put up some Kaiju. So I stared with the King of the Monsters: Godzilla (Mythic-10, CR 30)

FYI, by Mythic-10 I mean it can use its Mythic Trait 10 times before it truly hits 0 hit points. I tried to stretch the CR rules about as far as I could, let me know what you think.
Godzilla can use his mythic trait more than Tiamat(Who can use it 5 times), which only brings the question of who would win in a fight. I think it's Godzilla based on the massive damage from his attacks. it's like Grumish's rage from the old epic document. but Tiamat does have the ranged advantage with her flight and 5 breath weapons.

dave2008

Legend
Godzilla can use his mythic trait more than Tiamat(Who can use it 5 times), which only brings the question of who would win in a fight. I think it's Godzilla based on the massive damage from his attacks. it's like Grumish's rage from the old epic document. but Tiamat does have the ranged advantage with her flight and 5 breath weapons.
The avatar of Tiamat in this thread only has one "mythic stage." The 5-stage version was moved to my Immortals rules thread and will updated to that format in the not to distant future. However, that version will be truly godly and much more powerful than Godzilla. As a rough example, this Godzilla with 10 mythic stages effectively has just a little under 8,000 HP. The updated Tiamat will likely be around 4 Exalted Stages and have an effective HP of about 30,000-40,000.

Remove ads