D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
Vargouille Swarm
Gargantuan swarm of tiny fiends, chaotic evil
1600449188022.png

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 262 (21d20 + 42; bloodied 131)
Speed 5 ft., fly 40 ft.
1600449189124.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
6 (-2)14 (+2)14 (+2)4 (-3)7 (-2)2 (-4)
1600449190520.png

Skills Acrobatics +7. Perception +13
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning piercing and slashing
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned; see Swarm Resistance
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages understands Abyssal, Infernal, and any language it knew before becoming a vargouille but can’t speak
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1600449191753.png

Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature’s space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny vargouille. If the swarm is reduced to 188 hit points or less change its size to Huge and it loses one use of its legendary actions. If the swarm is reduced to 125 hit points or less change its size to Large and it loses an additional use of its legendary actions. If the swarm is reduced to 63 hit points or less, , choose: 1) replace the swarm with five vargouilles in unoccupied spaces within the former area of the swarm, or 2) keep the current statistics, but remove the Swarm Resistance trait.

Swarm Reactions. The swarm does not have reactions. Whenever a creature moves inside the space of the swarm or out of the space of the swarm, the swarm makes one bite or kiss attack with advantage targeting the triggering creature.

Swarm Resistance. The swarm has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, or stunned. Additionally, the swarm can use its legendary actions to immediately end one condition or effect it is suffering per legendary action spent.

Swarm Tactics. The swarm has advantage on attack rolls and saving throws against a creature if it is occupying the same space as the swarm.

Swarm Vulnerabilities. The swarm takes double damage from any attack that have an area of effect.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The swarm makes five attacks. Any combination of bite, kiss, and stunning shriek.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) poison damage.

Kiss. The vargouille kisses one incapacitated humanoid within 5 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 19 Charisma saving throw or become cursed. The cursed target loses 1 point of Charisma after each hour, as its takes on fiendish aspects. The curse doesn’t advance while the target is in sunlight or the area of a daylight spell; don’t count that time. When the cursed target’s Charisma becomes 2 it dies, and its head tears from its bofy and becomes a new vargouille. Casting remove curse, greater restoration, or a similar spell on the target before the transformation is complete can end the curse. Doing so undoes the changes made to the target by the curse.

Stunning Shriek. The vargouille shrieks. Each humanoid and beast within 30 feet of the vargouille and able to hear it must succeed on a DC 19 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened until the end of the target’s next turn. While frightened in this way, a target is stunned. If a target’s saving throw is successful or the effects ends for it, the target is immune to the Stunning Shriek of al vargouilles for 1 hour.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The swarm can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The swarm regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Multiattack. The swarm makes five attacks. Any combination of bite, kiss, and stunning shriek.
Move. The swarm moves up to 10 feet.
Coordinate Shriek (Costs 3 Actions). The swarm makes a stunning shriek attack with an increased range of 60 feet and targets have disadvantage on the saving throw.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1627210215043.png

Molydeus by francis001

Molydeus Enforcer
Legendary Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil
1600450272616.png

Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 297 (22d12 + 161; bloodied 148)
Speed 40 ft.
1600450267110.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
26 (+8)22 (+6)25 (+7)21 (+5)24 (+5)24 (+7)
1600450268273.png

Saving Throws Str +16, Con +14, Wis +14, Cha +14
Skills Perception +21
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning, necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned, stunned
Senses Truesight 120, Passive Perception 31
Languages Abyssal telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 21 (33,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +7
1600450274727.png

Brute. A melee weapon deals one extra die of its damage when the molydeus hits with it (included in the attack).

Flying Axe. The moldeus uses a bonus action to release its greataxe to hover magically in an unoccupied space within 10 feet of it. If the demon can see the axe, the molydeus can mentally command it as a bonus action or legendary action to fly up to 60 feet and either make one attack or return to the demon’s hands. If the axe is targeted by an effect, the molydeus is considered to be holding it. The axe disappears if the molydeus dies.

Magic Resistance. The molydeus has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the molydeus has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magic Weapons. The molydeus’s weapon attacks are magical.

Two Headed. The molydeus’s has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.

Unstoppable. The molydeus can use a reaction at the end of its turn to remove one condition or effect it is suffering. Alternately, the molydeus can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and end the condition or effect immediately.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The molydeus makes two greataxe attacks or two claw attacks and one snake bite or wolf bite attack.

Greataxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 34 (4d12 + 8) slashing damage. If the target has at least one head and the molydeus rolled a 20 on the attack roll, the target is decapitated and dies if it can’t survive without that head. A target is immune to this effect if it takes none of the damage, has legendary actions, or is Huge or larger. Such a creature takes an extra 33 (6d10) slashing damage from the hit.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d6 + 8) slashing damage and if the target is Large or smaller creature it must make a DC 23 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone or grappled, the molydeus' choice. The target has disadvantage on the saving throw if it is hit by two claw attacks on the same turn.

Wolf Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature grappled by the molydeus or incapacitated. Hit: 18 (3d6 + 8) piercing damage.

Snake Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one creature. Hit: 15 (3d4 + 8) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 22 Constitution saving throw or its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target transforms into a manes if this reduces its hit point maximum to 0. This transformation can be ended only by a wish spell.

Innate Spellcasting. The molydeus’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 22). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: detect magic, dispel magic, polymorph, telekinesis, teleport
3/day: forcecage, lightning bolt, scrying, symbol
1/day: imprisonment, plane shift

Summon Demon (1/Day).
The molydeus can summon (75% chance of success) one of the following types of demons: 1d8 vrocks, 1d6 hezrous, 1d4 glabrezus, or 1d2 nalfeshnee; or (50% chance of success) 1d2 maraliths or one balor.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The molydeus can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn or the molydeus can spend any unused actions at the end of the round. The molydeus regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Attack. The molydeus makes one claw or wolf bite attack.
Move. The molydeus moves up to half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
Cast a Spell. The molydeus casts one spell from its Innate Spellcasting trait.
Dread Word (Costs 2 Actions). The molydeus curses a target it can see within 300 feet of it. The target must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw, taking 45 (10d8) necrotic damage and one level of exhaustion on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Multiattack (Cost 3 Actions). The molydeus makes two greataxe attacks.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
It is based on the encounter guidelines. The CR, especially at high level, is not really relevant to compare to party level, whether it is one PC or the whole party. The important part is the XP budget. Of course, the "deadliness" of the encounter factors into that as well, but we really shouldn't be in the mindset of comparing CR to PC level. IMO, doing that leads to bad habits and misinformation, especially at high level.

Yeah I agree. Technically CR is supposed to mean "if your party's level is below the CR...there is a chance for unexpected problems or deadliness". Aka its meant as a warning sticker that you may be "too short to ride this train".

However, in practice I find that to rarely be the case at higher levels, ESPECIALLY 10+ (heck are start seeing it as early as 5th). Parties are so durable by that point that even if the monster delivers a random spike of super damage...it may drop them, but truly killing them is tough.

There is the occasional spell caster that has abilities you may not be high enough level to account for (an easy example is Power Word Kill....if you have party members with base hitpoints less than 100 than yeah this monster is likely to be way deadlier than the stats would imply). But I find this is the exception not the rule.

Stalker0

Legend
Vargouille Swarm
Gargantuan swarm of tiny fiends, chaotic evil

Challenge 21 (33,000 XP)

If the swarm is reduced to 63 hit points or less, replace the swarm with five vargouilles in unoccupied spaces within the former area of the swarm.

I should have noted this for the Imp swarm as well. Though the realism of this mechanic makes a lot of sense, I think its very annoying for a DM to run. They have to go and look up the base Vargouille and reset themselves for a new monster....when realistically at 63 hitpoints it has no legendary actions left and is basically a quick mop up for the parties going to encounter it. I say just remove this entirely, players are not going to mind, and the DMs will thank you.

If you want to keep some version of it, you could say at 63 hitpoints it lose its swarm resistance.

dave2008

Legend
Hezrou Brawler
large fiend (demon), chaotic evil
1600458930288.png

Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 149 (13d10 + 65 + 13; bloodied 74)
Speed 40 ft.
1600458927402.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
19 (+4)17 (+3)20 (+5)5 (-3)12 (+1)13 (+1)
1600458926386.png

Saving Throws Str +7, Con +8, Wis +4
Skills Athletics +7
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses Truesight 120, Passive Perception 11
Languages Abyssal telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP) Proficiency Bonus +3
1600458923722.png

Bruiser. The hezrou has a +3 bonus to damage and a -2 penalty to hit on its weapon attacks (included in the attacks). Additionally, it gains a +13 bonus to its hit points and a -2 penalty to its Armor class (included above).

Magic Resistance. The hezrou has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the hezrou’has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magic Weapons. The hezrou’s weapon attacks are magical.

Stench. Any creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of the barrow giant must succeed on a DC 14 constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the hezrou’s stench for 24 hours.

Unstoppable (1/Short Rest). The hezrou can use a reaction at the end of its turn to remove one condition or effect it is suffering. Alternately, the hezrou can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and end the condition or effect immediately.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The hezrou makes three attacks: one with its bite or sticky tongue and two with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (2d10 +7) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) acid damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6 + 7) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.

Tongue. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d6 + 7) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) acid damage and the target must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be pulled up to 15 feet toward the hezrou.

Innate Spellcasting. The hezrou’ spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The hezrou can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.

At will: darkness, detect invisible, telekinesis
1/day: true seeing

REACTIONS
Leap (Recharge 4-6).
If the hezrou is hit by ranged attack, it can jump up to 20 feet high and 40 feet long. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I should have noted this for the Imp swarm as well. Though the realism of this mechanic makes a lot of sense, I think its very annoying for a DM to run. They have to go and look up the base Vargouille and reset themselves for a new monster....when realistically at 63 hitpoints it has no legendary actions left and is basically a quick mop up for the parties going to encounter it. I say just remove this entirely, players are not going to mind, and the DMs will thank you.

If you want to keep some version of it, you could say at 63 hitpoints it lose its swarm resistance.
I use them with good success and wasn't much trouble for me, but I see your point. I might provide both options. Replace with the component monsters or drop swarm resistance. Then the DM can dial to what they want.

Stalker0

Legend
Molydeus Enforcer
Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil

Challenge 21 (33,000 XP)

Now THIS is a CR 21! Like I read this guy, and I was scared for my players.

1) First round, this guy can forcecage all of the fighters. That is incredibly powerful, forcecage I find at these levels is still a strong spell, but used once there are ways around it. However, once you cast 2 or 3 times suddenly things get a lot dicier... so I would expect this to basically knock out 1-2 characters from the fight entirely.

2) The greataxe is just wicked. Basically a 10% chance every round that you die...way scarier than just some base damage. Melee fighters (assuming they aren't simply forcecaged) are going to be legitimately scared of being in melee with this thing, and therefore will have to reconsider their strategy.

3) Dread word is interesting. Its utility is in being a truely long range effect. Exhaustion is a scary condition, though at these levels there are many ways to cure it, but when it stacks it gets scary and tends to linger for a fight. I'm tempted to say make it 2 levels of exhaustion, but they cannot take further exhaustion for the effect....just to ensure you get some bang for your buck action economy wise, but I may be overthinking this one...its really just a serviceable long ranged attack.

4) Dispel Magic at will + 1 legendary action to cast it means that this guy always has an option for high level magic shenanigan's.

This guy is truly terrifying imo. I think a party would have to approach this guy very carefully, its with flying to outmanuever, some disarming to get rid of the greataxe....exactly what I would want a higher level boss fight to be.

Stalker0

Legend
Hezrou Brawler

Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

I like this one a lot, he is simple, but could be a surprise challenge.

1) His magic resistance + unstoppable + strong elemental resistances + strong core saves means that casters are going to have trouble with this guy. While these defenses are common at higher CRs....casters at this level may not be used to this level of protection, which will make it an interesting challenge for them.

2) Meanwhile, in melee, he does solid damage, using a variety of damage types to ensure no single protection will negate him. He also has a touch of control with his tongue which could combo well with other creatures. But defensively he is not too strong, so powerful fighter will enjoy tearing in to this guy.

This guy feels like just a really good staple monster, I could toss him into any mid level demon fight and he'll always contribute...he'll never be the star of the show or a really memorable monster but I think he's a great filler that will always carry his weight.

dave2008

Legend
I like this one a lot, he is simple, but could be a surprise challenge.

1) His magic resistance + unstoppable + strong elemental resistances + strong core saves means that casters are going to have trouble with this guy. While these defenses are common at higher CRs....casters at this level may not be used to this level of protection, which will make it an interesting challenge for them.

2) Meanwhile, in melee, he does solid damage, using a variety of damage types to ensure no single protection will negate him. He also has a touch of control with his tongue which could combo well with other creatures. But defensively he is not too strong, so powerful fighter will enjoy tearing in to this guy.

This guy feels like just a really good staple monster, I could toss him into any mid level demon fight and he'll always contribute...he'll never be the star of the show or a really memorable monster but I think he's a great filler that will always carry his weight.
I couldn't have described it better myself.

dave2008

Legend
Goristro Juggernaut
Champion Gargantuan fiend (demon), chaotic evil
1600463028923.png

Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 540 (20d20 + 140; bloodied 270)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft.
1600463027339.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
27 (+8)11 (+0)25 (+7)6 (-2)13 (+1)14 (+2)
1600463026433.png

Savings Throws Str +13, Dex +6, Con +13, Wis +7
Skills Athletics +13, Intimidation +8, Perception 8
Damage Resistances Cold, Fire, Lightning; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks
Damage Immunities Poison
Condition Immunities Poisoned
Senses darkvision 240 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages Abyssal
Challenge 17 (27,000 champion XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1600463024570.png

Bruiser. The goristro has a +8 bonus to damage and a -3 penalty to hit on its weapon attacks (included in the attacks).

Charge. If the goristro moves at least 15 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 38 (7d10) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 30 feet away and knocked prone.

Siege Engine. (Champion Trait, recharges after a short or long rest). If the goristro is bloodied, it can remove one condition or effect it is suffering and it can use its champion actions.

Labyrinthine Recall. The goristro can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Magic Resistance. The goristro has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the goristro has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Magic Weapons. The goristro ’s weapon attacks are magical.

Siege Monster. The goristro deals double damage to objects and structures.

Thick Hide. The goristro is immune to all damage, except psychic damage, unless the attack or effect inflicts more than 5 hit points of damage, in which case it takes damage as normal.

Unstoppable (2/Short Rest). The goristro can use a reaction at the end of its turn to remove one condition or effect it is suffering. Alternately, the goristro can use a reaction, take 30 hit points of damage, and end the condition or effect immediately.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The goristro makes two fist or hoof attacks.

Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 38 (4d10 + 16) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone, pushed 15 feet, or grappled, the goristro's choice.

Hoof. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one Large or smaller or prone target. Hit: 42 (4d12 + 16) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 22 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. A prone creature is also restrained until the goristro moves or makes another hoof attack. While restrained in this way, the creature (or another creature within 5 feet of it) can use its action to make a DC 22 Strength check. On a success, the creature relocates to an unoccupied space of its choice within 5 feet of the goristro and is no longer restrained.

Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 60 (8d10 + 16) piercing damage.

REACTIONS
Grappler.
If a Large or smaller creature ends its turn grappled by the goristro, the goristro can take one of the following attack options:
  • Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (4d4 + 16) piercing damage.
  • Crush. The goristro squeezes the target and it takes 22 (4d10) bludgeoning damage.
  • Fling. One Large or smaller creature held or grappled by the goristro is thrown up to 40 ft in a direction of its choosing. The target must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown and knocked prone on a failure, or half as much damage one a success. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.
CHAMPION ACTIONS
Once the goristro's champion trait is activated, on its initiative count +10 it can take one of the following actions.

Trample. The goristro can move up to its speed and enter the space of Large or smaller creatures. The first time it enters the space of a target it makes a hoof attack against that target.

Last edited:

Remove ads