D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
Some of your deities have an (avatar) tag while some don't. The avatars don't seem to be any weaker than the true deities wihtout that tag. Is that supposed to have a special meaning or just a leftover from different stages of work in progress?
The only one that had that tag was Tiamat and that was a mistake. It was the first one I ported to this thread and I wasn't sure how I was going to proceed. I have made that decision now and I have changed her tag to "lesser deity." Thank you for reminding me!

FYI, the avatar of a deity would just be its first stage (all deities will be mythic). So if you just want Timat's avatar, don't use the mythic trait and you're good to go.

Also, there will be another, more powerful, version of Tiamat in the future. That was another reason I had this one tag as an avatar.

dave2008

Legend
Noting on the Vargouille Swarm.

"If the swarm is reduced to 63 hit points or less, replace the swarm with five vargouilles in unoccupied spaces within the former area of the swarm; or the swarm loses its Swarm Resistance trait. "

This language could be a little confusing as it doesn't really tell the DM they have a choice. I would make a slight tweak in language:

"If the swarm is reduced to 63 hit points or less, choose 1: Replace the swarm with five vargouilles in unoccupied spaces within the former area of the swarm, or keep the current statistics, but remove the Swarm Resistance trait. "
Love it - thanks! Just in time to as I am going to make a few more swarms.

dave2008

Legend
Klurichir
Challenge
19 (22,000 XP)

Any creature that prevents healing is already nasty, and that curse power is going to put some fear in players. However, his lack of combat teleports (teleport the spell has 25% chance to put you off course even if you can see the spot...so its always risky to use tactically), means that the party can use mobility to try and stay out of his effects....which again shakes things up.

I agree that the bite thing took some reading to really understand...the bonus action still doesn't make it that competitive but when you read the swallow reaction then I was like (ooooooooh, ok).

Honestly I'm wondering if his guy actually has too much (possibly because my immediate reaction to this guy is he is a great support for another demon). I mean he's got a nasty aura, a nasty curse, some decently nasty spells (weird is actually a terrible spell, but I guess thematically I could see a demon using it to torment lesser people, but I would rarely use it in combat), but banishment is always solid. I'm wondering if he needs the whole swallow and bite mechanics and all of that. I could just see you remove the claw, and use pinchers with more damage and grapple...with no bite or swalow mechanics.

I think this guy does the job of being a solid threat for his CR, he looks scary, but I also think you could tidy him up a bit and he'd likely still come across as a big threat.
I gave it Abyssal Step, a 60' teleport bonus action. Though I would really like to find a different way for things to move without having to resort to teleport all the time. Maybe a bonus action Dash that doesn't provoke OA? I don't know. I will think about it.

I gave it Abyssal Step, a 60' teleport bonus action. Though I would really like to find a different way for things to move without having to resort to teleport all the time. Maybe a bonus action Dash that doesn't provoke OA? I don't know. I will think about it.
Many monsters in 4e had something like that. Just introduce it.

Stalker0

Legend

hehe I think you misunderstood me. I considered the lack of a tactical teleport a feature of the design, not a negative. It was a monster that tactically the party wants to stay away from, as that its weakness. In melee its very dangerous.

But if you do want more mobility, adding teleport to demons is not bad flavorwise, many abyssal creatures have had teleports in the past. And honesty, that's just the way it goes in level 15+ combats....wall spells, spheres, forcecages, restrains....there are so many ways to just remove a unit from the fight unless they have teleport like abilities.

I actually meant a move that doesn't provoke O
I will, but I want more tools in my toolbox that produce similar results. But the tactical teleport is definitely one I will add.
I meant a move that doesn't provoke OA, but of course one doesn't exclude the other.

Edit: pretty sure we agree. You will introduce several ways to tactically move. Tactical teleport will be one for certain. Check.

I had 2 thoughts on the balor death throw. The first is you could change it so instead of being a fireball, it opens a 30-foot-wide fiery portal to the Abyss for 1 minute. Portals to the Abyss don't add anything to the offensive CR, but unless the PC's can block the portal, a whole lot of demons could come through.

Another thought is that the balor could trigger the death throw at will, dying but being reborn in the same (or closest open) spot in say 1d4 days. The balor could wade into melee combat, suicide bomb the PC's if they are all close, and let its minions come in to pick the bones, all knowing it will be back shortly. I think that changes the dynamic to make the balor more of a leader (since the tactic works best if it has some flunkies).

dave2008

Legend
I had 2 thoughts on the balor death throw. The first is you could change it so instead of being a fireball, it opens a 30-foot-wide fiery portal to the Abyss for 1 minute. Portals to the Abyss don't add anything to the offensive CR, but unless the PC's can block the portal, a whole lot of demons could come through.

Another thought is that the balor could trigger the death throw at will, dying but being reborn in the same (or closest open) spot in say 1d4 days. The balor could wade into melee combat, suicide bomb the PC's if they are all close, and let its minions come in to pick the bones, all knowing it will be back shortly. I think that changes the dynamic to make the balor more of a leader (since the tactic works best if it has some flunkies).
I like the portal idea, I could look into that. However, I need to take a break from the Type VI for a while. I've spent to much time go over as it is.

dave2008

Legend
Vrock Chaos Squadron
Gargantuan swarm of large fiends, chaotic evil
1600449188022.png

Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 841 (58d20 + 232; bloodied 420)
Speed 40 ft., fly 60 ft.
1600449189124.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
17 (+3)15 (+2)18 (+4)8 (-1)13 (+1)8 (-1)
1600449190520.png

Saving Throws Dex +10, Wis +9, Cha +7
Skills Acrobatics +10, Perception +9
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning piercing and slashing that is nonmagical
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned; see Swarm Resistance
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages Abyssal, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 23 (50,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +7
1600449191753.png

Colossal. The swarm's space is 40-feet by 40-feet.

Legendary Spores. Any creature that starts their turn in the squadron or within 15 feet of the squadron is infected by spores. While infected the target is poisoned and takes 10 poison damage at the start of each of it turns, including the turn it was infected. The target can make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Swarm. The squadron can occupy another creature’s space and vice versa, and the squadron can move through any opening large enough for a Large vrock. If the squadron is reduced to 630 hit points or less change its space to 35-feet by 35-feet and it loses one use of its legendary actions and 1 reaction. If the squadron is reduced to 420 hit points or less change its size to 25-feet by 25-feet and it loses an additional use of its legendary actions and another reaction. If the squadron is reduced to 210 hit points or less, choose: 1) replace the squadron with two vrocks in unoccupied spaces within the former area of the swarm, or 2) reduce the size to Gargantuan and keep the current statistics, but remove the Swarm Resistance trait.

Swarm Reactions. The squadron does not have reactions. Whenever a creature moves inside the space of the squadron or out of the space of the squadron, the squadron makes one pike attack with advantage targeting the triggering creature.

Swarm Resistance. The squadron has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, or stunned. Additionally, the squadron can use its legendary actions to immediately end one condition or effect it is suffering per legendary action spent.

Swarm Tactics. The squadron has advantage on attack rolls and saving throws against a creature if it is occupying the same space as the squadron.

Swarm Vulnerabilities. The squadron takes double damage from any attack that effects any area that is 15 feet by 15 feet or greater.

Unstoppable (3/Short Rest). The squadron can use a reaction to take 30 hit points of damage and end one condition or effect it is suffering.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The squadron has the following attack options:
  • four pike attacks.
  • two beak and two talon
  • two pike attacks and stunning shriek attack
  • one beak and one talon attack and one stunning shriek attack
  • two spores or stunning shriek attacks.
Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d10 + 3) slashing damage.

Pike. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d10 + 3) piercing damage.

Stunning Shriek (8/Day). The squadron emits a horrific screech. Each creature within 20 feet of it that can hear it and that isn't a demon must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of the squadron's next turn.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The swarm can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The swarm regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Multiattack. The swarm uses its multiattack action.
Move. The swarm moves up to 15 feet.
Coordinate Shriek (Costs 3 Actions). The swarm makes a cacophonous Stunning Shriek attack. The range is increased to 60 feet and the targets have disadvantage on the saving throw. This attack requires six uses of its Stunning Shriek action.

Last edited:

Remove ads