D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
But would they get any participation? Less than three people people have posted in my thred to that vein, not including myself.

Homebrew, unless it's a popular topic, tends to recieve little love.

So the question arises again... is the warlord really all that popular? It seems if it was... all the people supposedly clamoring for one would be ready and willing to help home brew one they could use in their games. Instead for quite a few it seems more a rallying cry for edition warring without breaking the forum rules... than any real aim at something productive.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So the question arises again... is the warlord really all that popular? It seems if it was... all the people supposedly clamoring for one would be ready and willing to help home brew one they could use in their games.

That's not a sound argument given the dim view that many people on these boards have of home-brew/DMGuild/3rd-party stuff. Secondly, those want an official WotC warlord have no reason to participate in home-brew threads. Also, it seems that many home-brew threads get little attention.

Hussar

Legend
So the question arises again... is the warlord really all that popular? It seems if it was... all the people supposedly clamoring for one would be ready and willing to help home brew one they could use in their games. Instead for quite a few it seems more a rallying cry for edition warring without breaking the forum rules... than any real aim at something productive.

Funny thing though. You started the poll here. Yet, when the poll doesn't support your hypothesis, suddenly we're supposed to ignore your own poll? I mean, we're just shy of 200 polled and the number's still around 25%. This dovetails with numerous other polls held over the years.

But, since that doesn't fit with your narrative, we're just supposed to ignore that? And, now, it's being suggested that those that want a warlord are just engaging in under the table edition warring? Nice.

Stay classy.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Funny thing though. You started the poll here. Yet, when the poll doesn't support your hypothesis, suddenly we're supposed to ignore your own poll? I mean, we're just shy of 200 polled and the number's still around 25%. This dovetails with numerous other polls held over the years.

But, since that doesn't fit with your narrative, we're just supposed to ignore that? And, now, it's being suggested that those that want a warlord are just engaging in under the table edition warring? Nice.

Stay classy.
So a quarter of voters want the Warlord, and the voters only represent the vocal minorities on either side, and that's not enough?

How many players wanted the Wizard in a previous mentioned poll? 15%.

Hussar

Legend
So a quarter of voters want the Warlord, and the voters only represent the vocal minorities on either side, and that's not enough?

I think you're agreeing with me. Yes?

But, yeah, I'm beating this hobby horse a bit too vehemently and I really need to stop. Apologies for this. My bad. I'll be stepping out now to cool off. Sorry folks.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I think you're agreeing with me. Yes?

But, yeah, I'm beating this hobby horse a bit too vehemently and I really need to stop. Apologies for this. My bad. I'll be stepping out now to cool off. Sorry folks.
A little more and you can sell it as a Tesco's Beefburger.

Imaro

Legend

Stay classy.

Does WotC want something that would only sale to roughly 25% of it's fanbase? And remember this is a poll that ignores there being a cost for the warlord... so we have 25% of an exceptionally small sample size that, as long as there is no cost, would have WotC create a warlord... now what happens when we start asking that 25% what they are willing to concede for a warlord...

As to edition warring...I've seen some engage in it around this topic... so it's not being suggested it's been witnessed.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend

That's not what the previous poll was... it was explained earlier in the thread.

Imaro

Legend
That's not a sound argument given the dim view that many people on these boards have of home-brew/DMGuild/3rd-party stuff. Secondly, those want an official WotC warlord have no reason to participate in home-brew threads. Also, it seems that many home-brew threads get little attention.

So why are they cluttering up this forum... if they want WotC to create a warlord class... start a petition, have people sign it and send it to WotC (then we can really see if the demand is there)... I'm not seeing why it's being discussed here if it's an official version that is wanted, no one on these boards can do that so we get into endless arguments around... what exactly? The majority don't care or are happy with the WotC offerings so for the majority of us it's irritating clutter at best... how does asking for an official version on EnWorld's forums further that goal? I've not seen a single representative from WotC participate in any of these threads.

Last edited:

Rygar

Explorer
Does WotC want something that would only sale to roughly 25% of it's fanbase? And remember this is a poll that ignores there being a cost for the warlord... so we have 25% of an exceptionally small sample size that, as long as there is no cost, would have WotC create a warlord... now what happens when we start asking that 25% what they are willing to concede for a warlord...

As to edition warring...I've seen some engage in it around this topic... so it's not being suggested it's been witnessed.

It's a deeper question than that. Not only would WOTC have to consider that a Warlord would only sell to about ~25% of their customer base, they'd also have to consider what percentage of players would immediately quit playing 5th edition were it introduced. The Warlord embodies all of the things that caused people to drop 4th edition, implementing the Warlord in 5th edition is certain to cause some number of players to see it as a signal that they're returning to 4th edition and immediately leave.

I realize it's the elephant in the room that no one here wants to talk about, but it absolutely is a consideration at WOTC, they are a business after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads