D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip >I've not seen a single representative from WotC participate in any of these threads.
That's probably intentional on their part.

Such non-posting on their part leaves us with few options -- and this is multiple-choice, as we can do more than one of the following at a time:
(1) Talk only among ourselves;
(2) Suppose that WotC is not currently working on a full-class Warlord or substitute;
(3) Suppose that WotC is more than three months away from releasing a full-class Warlord or substitute, inasmuch as we know they don't announce their latest offerings very far in advance;
(4) Suppose that WotC has higher priorities than to release a full-class Warlord this year, and WotC wants to take as long as it takes to get it right;
(5) Continue our years'-long trend of having multiple Warlord-themed threads, in which one poster or another might occasionally put forth an idea or insight that WotC might find different from the things they have already considered;
(6) Bow out of such threads early, before the contributions dry up, as I have seen some posters do here recently;
(7) Suppose that WotC has an informal policy of not posting advance notice of their design directions before the scheduled release date of the first spoilers, as contrasted with the formal policy mentioned in (3), above;
(8) Suppose that WotC is trying to draw us out, so both the pro-Warlord posters and the anti-Warlord posters will just get tired of posting the same arguments again and again, in the hope that if WotC waits that long, there will be less hubbub when they finally do release a full-class Warlord or substitute, if they ever do.

There are likely to be more options that we have that I have not mentioned above. . . .

It's a deeper question than that. Not only would WOTC have to consider that a Warlord would only sell to about ~25% of their customer base, they'd also have to consider what percentage of players would immediately quit playing 5th edition were it introduced. The Warlord embodies all of the things that caused people to drop 4th edition, implementing the Warlord in 5th edition is certain to cause some number of players to see it as a signal that they're returning to 4th edition and immediately leave.

I realize it's the elephant in the room that no one here wants to talk about, but it absolutely is a consideration at WOTC, they are a business after all.
Dedicated edition warriors are rare.
Most of the time that's confined to message boards. People have a preference, but no matter how much people dislike an edition, if offered a chance to play the edition or not play at all they'd choose the former option. They might not buy the books of an edition they dislike but few are going to drop an edition they otherwise like for edition warrior reasons.

People here might not want a warlord being designed rather than their personal favourite class (or instead of a half-dozen subclasses). But no one is *really * going to stop buying 5e. That's an empty threat.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So why are they cluttering up this forum... if they want WotC to create a warlord class... start a petition, have people sign it and send it to WotC (then we can really see if the demand is there)...

Why do humans do anything that isn't the most efficient way of creating a desired outcome? Because reasons. Maybe some of them are looking for validation from other players, who knows? Should I start profiling ENWorld members?

I'm not seeing why it's being discussed here if it's an official version that is wanted, no one on these boards can do that so we get into endless arguments around... what exactly?

See, that's the whole bit I don't get. Why are there arguments about this, anyway? It seems that as soon as Person A voices that they want a warlord, along comes a contingent of people trying to irrationally shoot it down. I've seen this enough, lurking on these boards, and it comes across like some unnecessary partisan political agenda. It's kinda sad.

The majority don't care or are happy with the WotC offerings so for the majority of us it's irritating clutter at best...

I do believe you're drawing a faulty conclusions from an unproven representation of the majority. If the majority don't care, then they are going to be ambivalent to the inclusion (or not) of a warlord class. If the class were to be included, some of these ambivalent folks may find that they really like the class after all. And for the ones that don't like it, they can choose to not play it, or if the majority in their gaming group agrees, not have it in their games at all. Just like any of the other player aspects of the game.

how does asking for an official version on EnWorld's forums further that goal? I've not seen a single representative from WotC participate in any of these threads.

That hasn't stopped Corpsetaker, CaptZapp, and others about voicing their rants on how the game should be, or what the game needs, or whatever else. It's kinda what happens on these boards.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think discussing any aspect if gaming just because someone feels like discussing it is the whole point if this board. Anyone who doesn't want to discuss whatever it is can just go to a thread they are interested in.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
It's a deeper question than that. Not only would WOTC have to consider that a Warlord would only sell to about ~25% of their customer base, they'd also have to consider what percentage of players would immediately quit playing 5th edition were it introduced. The Warlord embodies all of the things that caused people to drop 4th edition, implementing the Warlord in 5th edition is certain to cause some number of players to see it as a signal that they're returning to 4th edition and immediately leave.

Poppycock!

I loathed 4e, and I'm very amenable to having a full warlord class in 5e.

Imaro

Legend
I think discussing any aspect if gaming just because someone feels like discussing it is the whole point if this board. Anyone who doesn't want to discuss whatever it is can just go to a thread they are interested in.

Yes but discussion means two sides... if you start a discussion about warlords those who don't want resources, page count, etc. Wasted on something they don't care about or feel the game has already addressed have the same right to voice their view and reasons as those who do want it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yes but discussion means two sides... if you start a discussion about warlords those who don't want resources, page count, etc. Wasted on something they don't care about or feel the game has already addressed have the same right to voice their view and reasons as those who do want it.
A discussion has a topic. It doesn't need to have "sides". That's what an argument is. It's true that a discussion CAN cover the subject of opposition, but it really doesn't have to.

Eubani

Legend
So why are they cluttering up this forum... if they want WotC to create a warlord class... start a petition, have people sign it and send it to WotC (then we can really see if the demand is there)... I'm not seeing why it's being discussed here if it's an official version that is wanted, no one on these boards can do that so we get into endless arguments around... what exactly? The majority don't care or are happy with the WotC offerings so for the majority of us it's irritating clutter at best... how does asking for an official version on EnWorld's forums further that goal? I've not seen a single representative from WotC participate in any of these threads.
I'm sorry but you do not get to pick or tell other people what they talk about regardless of what you think about the topic. If you don't like Warlord threads don't read and if you do not like other people discussing it here well that is something you will just have to suffer.

Imaro

Legend
Why do humans do anything that isn't the most efficient way of creating a desired outcome? Because reasons. Maybe some of them are looking for validation from other players, who knows? Should I start profiling ENWorld members?

Well if you are using a discussion board to state what you want from a company... you should expect those who don't want said thing to comment as well.

See, that's the whole bit I don't get. Why are there arguments about this, anyway? It seems that as soon as Person A voices that they want a warlord, along comes a contingent of people trying to irrationally shoot it down. I've seen this enough, lurking on these boards, and it comes across like some unnecessary partisan political agenda. It's kinda sad.

Because in a perfect world with unlimited resources and books of unlimited page count and that cost nothing to publish... we would all get what we want, but enough of us know that's not the case... a warlord class being created has an opportunity cost associated with it and unlike 3e or 4e... 5e's publishing schedule is limited and there is enough in the game for many that hasn't been fleshed out or given attention that warlord is just low on their list of wants for 5e. That's the case for me, it's not that I am against a warlord but there are way more other things I'd rather they devote resources to at this point in the games lifecycle especially with the limited number of published products we've gotten so far...

I do believe you're drawing a faulty conclusions from an unproven representation of the majority. If the majority don't care, then they are going to be ambivalent to the inclusion (or not) of a warlord class. If the class were to be included, some of these ambivalent folks may find that they really like the class after all. And for the ones that don't like it, they can choose to not play it, or if the majority in their gaming group agrees, not have it in their games at all. Just like any of the other player aspects of the game.

There was no faulty conclusion drawn...I am stating what the poll is showing nothing less nothing more. We can conjecture about the future and hypotheticals all we want but I am talking about this poll in this thread. I mean by your logic the exact opposite could also happen some of these warlord fans could be put off by WotC's official version and then it might sell even less.

That hasn't stopped Corpsetaker, CaptZapp, and others about voicing their rants on how the game should be, or what the game needs, or whatever else. It's kinda what happens on these boards.

This didn't answer my question, which is fine but then if you want to rant on a discussion board about something... expect those who don't hold your views to rant back.

Imaro

Legend
I'm sorry but you do not get to pick or tell other people what they talk about regardless of what you think about the topic. If you don't like Warlord threads don't read and if you do not like other people discussing it here well that is something you will just have to suffer.

I'm sorry but as long as I'm not breaking the conduct rules I can state how I feel about anything I want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads