D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I'd like to get a peek at Nobleman's Wilddaughter, ya know, just because.... They may have based that off a prior character or two of mine... ;)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Hah! PMed you a link.

I also am updating the OP with my thinking about how to incorporate the awesome playbooks and collaborative sandbox setting ideas from Beyond the Wall.

Shayuri

First Post
In like Flynn, clearly. :)

Reading the playbook stuff now. Looks promising. I'm sure I can adjust my character to suit this.

-- And the easiest to incorporate into Talashia's background as written is the Witch's Apprentice, as that pretty much is precisely what she was. It would also be fairly easy to rewrite Sonja as a court sorceror, and make Talashia a Court Sorceror's Apprentice.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
In like Flynn, clearly. :)

Thanks for being patient with me.

Reading the playbook stuff now. Looks promising. I'm sure I can adjust my character to suit this.

-- And the easiest to incorporate into Talashia's background as written is the Witch's Apprentice, as that pretty much is precisely what she was. It would also be fairly easy to rewrite Sonja as a court sorceror, and make Talashia a Court Sorceror's Apprentice.
I PMed links to both your way. Feel free to choose a combo of the two, if that makes more sense. Should be easy enough to do.

In the OP, besides listing the Playbooks and giving thoughts about how to incorporate them (e.g. as replacement for 5e backgrounds, as a way to generate ability scores, simply as color to flesh out your characters and provide grist for the GMing mill), I also described a system of "Campfire Tales" which allows for gradual introduction of Playbooks (along with some collaborative setting building stuff borrowed from Beyond the Wall).

In for it, down with it, up for it. Any direction at all actually. Yes.

Cool. Thanks for your understanding.

Any of the Playbooks catch your eye? Hmm, nothing really matches up with a Witcher...maybe I should create a new one for Witchers.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters (FULL)

[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Hah! PMed you a link.

I also am updating the OP with my thinking about how to incorporate the awesome playbooks and collaborative sandbox setting ideas from Beyond the Wall.

Thanks for sending that over, looks so fun and easy to use!

Is there anything resembling a source?
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] we should get ALL this stuff!!

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks for sending that over, looks so fun and easy to use!

Is there anything resembling a source?

Not really, no.

Self-Taught Mage has to do with acquiring a spellbook and has other wizardly stuff attached to it. There is a nice bit about facing a creature of Chaos (a demon) and overcoming it...sort of a touchstone to Ged's encounter with the Gebbeth in LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea.

Initiated Magician has to do with joining a magical order and taking an apprentice.

Hmm, maybe I should whip up playbooks for Source & Witcher since they're such defining characteristics.

Shayuri

First Post
If you do one for Source, let me know. That applies to me as well. :)

Presumably we wouldn't be using these for stat determination...are they replacing our backgrounds for trained skills and the like?

Witch's Apprentice could work for Talashia, though it'd be more of a Sorceress' Apprentice in her case. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
OK, since it has been a while, what I'm thinking of doing is fast-forwarding to your arrival in the settlement of Lower Posada.

The situation with the spirit at the lake in the Blue Mountains...I'm happy for you guys to narrate how you resolved it however you want, or you can come to a consensus and tell me and I'll narrate it for you. I think there was mention of Fergus doing some cold-water diving for the talisman? The spirit will come up again later on, not to worry. ;)

Inspired by Beyond the Wall, I'm going to have each of you roll 1d12 on What has happened on the road to Posada? There will be a follow-up check/decision for you to make that will influence the adventure.

I'm also using the few days of travel to reach Lower Posada as a way to explain any changes to your party's composition for losing/gaining PCs. For new PCs to the party, we can devise a connection to Odvara and the party together, or use some of the tables from Beyond the Wall: Further Afield like Why do the other PCs trust you?

If you do one for Source, let me know. That applies to me as well. :)

Presumably we wouldn't be using these for stat determination...are they replacing our backgrounds for trained skills and the like?

Witch's Apprentice could work for Talashia, though it'd be more of a Sorceress' Apprentice in her case. :)

For sure Shayuri! :) And thanks for being accommodating of me dropping the game. I try not to do that, but life intervenes sometimes.

As for how (and if) you use them, I am very very flexible. Since you already have PCs we're continuing with, you can just treat the playbooks as story stuff and ignore the mechanics if you like. Or if you want to tinker with your characters using the mechanics suggested by the playbooks, I'm fine with that too.

For example, replacing your background with the skills recommended on the playbook tables is a perfectly fine option.

Remove ads