D&D 5E [5EGL] Open Licensed Settings: Dragonstar, Ptolus, Scarred Lands, etc?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
From the GameInformer.com interview...

Can a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons succeed without a more open approach to licensing, like we saw with the OGL of 3rd edition?

I think that an open license speaks to how people think about D&D, and in some ways it is a big part of the game’s culture. We want people to feel like we’re making an effort to include everything that they love about the game, and we’re exploring options for third party publishers.
I wonder about the part I've underlined. What will the theoretical open license truly look like? How open will it be, if WotC decides to open up part or all of D&D Next?

Will WotC create a special "signed" license for third party publishers who wish to take full advantage of a new license [5eGL]? Will there be any special consideration for the "big boys" in the market? Will the iconic d20 system settings make a strong comeback?

Do we even want them to make a comeback?

Will a new 5EGL allow for the creation of variant games and pocket PHBs? Or will WotC keep a tighter reign on the market by limiting enough of their IP to keep the 3PP products 100% compatible with the new game's core rules?

Will WotC only license out the core/basic classes and not the game's advanced classes?

Speculate.

Last edited:

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Hard to say. One of the arguments against the SRD was that it was "giving the rules away for free," but 5e is already going to do that to some extent with the Open Beta. One could argue that the OGL bit them in the butt with Paizo making Pathfinder, but it only bit them in the butt because 4e had no OGL.

My thoughts is that they will have something between the OGL and the GSL. Where that point is going to be will be hard to tell. My guess is that any new OGL will pretty much demand that it reference the D&D core books instead of allowing for rules to be reprinted wholesale.

foolish_mortals

First Post
I don't know how much control Mervel and Money Cookie have over this issue. If they don't control it they should say that decision is made elsewhere. I'd think Money Cookie would want there to be a very liberal license with the game so he could quit(or get the dreaded Christmas gift) after a couple of years and make more books like he did before.

I like seeing stuff from different companies come out. It may be a big lifeline for the 5th edition if WOTC has trouble putting together cool adventures.

foolish_mortals

fingers crossed: come on dragon star.

If WotC were smart, they would open up a contract for 5 years with major companies having access to writeing supliments and adventures, but insisting on a free page or 2 of advertiseing. Just put in the contract they can not reprouce they phb dmg or mm... then put in a clause that if 5e is still being produced and maintained by wotC in 5 years eaither party may extend this agreement 2 years.

once you get a lawyer to reword that into legalise it should make everyone happy.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
My thoughts is that they will have something between the OGL and the GSL. Where that point is going to be will be hard to tell. My guess is that any new OGL will pretty much demand that it reference the D&D core books instead of allowing for rules to be reprinted wholesale.
I think a balance between the two would be fine with me. A 3PP shouldn't be able to reprint the PHB or create a variant rulebook. However, if WotC makes it possible for a 3PP to ask permission to create a variant PHB through a special sub-license, I think that would be a major boon for both WotC and the 3PP community. Perhaps, the sub-license allows for the use of WotC's book style and logo.

And WotC would be allowed to create new content for that book. Sort of a co-op license. :hmm:

Just some thoughts...

enrious

I'd love to see some of those return as updates, but looking at the economics, I don't think it feasible.

After all, there's a reason why they aren't in print now. Or at least, actively supported.

Spinachcat

First Post
I would love to see 5e Scarred Lands and 5e Iron Kingdoms.

I hope that 5e revives the D20 license which was the smart one. Encourage 3PP to make modules and settings, but keep the ability to make full games in the hands of WotC.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Hard to say. One of the arguments against the SRD was that it was "giving the rules away for free," but 5e is already going to do that to some extent with the Open Beta.

They can post the basic rules on the web for playtesting, but if the rules don't have something that says you can freely distribute and create new games based on these, then they aren't doing anything close to the OGL.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
BTW, Privateer Press is re-releasing Iron Kingdoms under a proprietary system. I don't remember if it was this year or next that they would have a launch.

Remove ads