D&D 3E/3.5 5E's Initial Raw Sales Numbers Stronger Than 3E's!

It seems that the initial sales of D&D 5th Edition are very strong. Asked about how they compare to 3E and 4E, WotC's Mike Mearls says that "Raw numbers are stronger, but that's not the complete picture. end of year 1 is the key." The Player's Handbook has now topped the hardcover nonfiction sellers list at Publishers Weekly. As of right now, it's #1 in Fantasy Gaming at Amazon, and a week ago it was the #1 book on Amazon!

It seems that the initial sales of D&D 5th Edition are very strong. Asked about how they compare to 3E and 4E, WotC's Mike Mearls says that "Raw numbers are stronger, but that's not the complete picture. end of year 1 is the key." The Player's Handbook has now topped the hardcover nonfiction sellers list at Publishers Weekly. As of right now, it's #1 in Fantasy Gaming at Amazon, and a week ago it was the #1 book on Amazon!

BwoJwYwCMAA4NuS.jpg

In other news, prompted by some discussion about the gaps between D&D edition releases, I whipped up this quick info-graphic showing the dates that each edition was released. [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?359004-So-I-have-been-out-of-town-for-a-few-weeks-did-I-miss-something[/threadcm]

releases.jpg

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its dipping a little bit

#4/#9/#1

It is hard to compare to past releases, but through the way-back machine, I was able to find out that (for bestsellers) the:

4E PHB did get up to 33, fell to 54. then plumeted.

PFCRB got up to 369 (and maybe a bit higher, based on what I poasted above), but seemed to stay in the hundreds longer.

So the starter set, which I think got into the top and 10 and is now at 199, looks good by those numbers.

The PHB is something else. The difference in sales as you move into single digits is massive.

Was able to find the 3.5 PHB about one month out. #123.

Very hard to go all the way back to 2000 for 3E...but again if someone else wants to try.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!

In other news, prompted by some discussion about the gaps between D&D edition releases, I whipped up this quick info-graphic showing the dates that each edition was released. [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?359004-So-I-have-been-out-of-town-for-a-few-weeks-did-I-miss-something[/threadcm]

Alphastream

Adventurer
The reason I said Mike was not clear was he claimed each edition sold more than the one before it yet 3rd ed is referred to the silver age of D&D with around 1981-1983 being the golden age. He did also say initial sales do not matter to much as modern D&D it seems is heavily frontloaded to the 1st few months, TSR era was a slow burner as such with smaller print runs sold over a longer time frame.

He isn't the only one saying each edition has outsold the previous one. Dancey says that up to and including 4E, where 4E outsold 3E's initial sales based on pre-orders alone.

It isn't that initial sales don't matter. Of course they do, because sales matter and you always want strong sales, market penetration, and excitement around a launch. But, the key is that the interest remain as high as possible. And, ideally, across the line. One of 1E and 2E's big problems was that they had no idea how to correctly sell product beyond the core books. They had a poor understanding of what customers want and often were ignorant regarding the profit (or lack of it) behind each product. (Dancey writes plenty on these subjects, but others have said the same before).

This is why we can think of the '80s as the golden age (because D&D was a massive brand of which most people in the US and many countries were aware) all while it was terrible from a business perspective (TSR was overhiring, overspending, underselling, etc.). Like many businesses, the highest years of revenue concealed the biggest problems.

What Mike Mearls is saying is that the initial sales are terrific, but it is smart to be cautious and see how the game is received as time passes and more products are added. This isn't just the core books, but also the adventures, the licensed video games, the licensed miniatures, the licensed board games, etc. Fast-forward to March, when the next storyline theme is released, the next officially licensed adventures come out, and so on. Is D&D even bigger then? The same? Smaller? If the licensed products continue to well received, as they have been, then this could pave the way for much more. If not, you have to rethink the model, retreat in some areas, and try new things. A lot can change in a year.

None of that takes away from the incredible start this RPG has had. 5E's initial numbers are nearing the point where they dwarf anything before it. If somehow D&D can regain some of the '80s spotlight (so far so good), it could bring in a new golden era. It doesn't even have to outshine the '80s to be great for RPGs. And, preferably, any golden era comes with much higher profitability and business sense. This seems to be in good hands so far (just look at how licensing is being used to handle traditionally unprofitable products such as DM screens and minis).

SigmaOne

First Post
I've heard from a couple of FLGS here that they did not go all in on stock of 5e materials, because they got killed and wanted to play wait and see. They confessed they were blown away by demand that they did not anticipate and were out of stock opening weekend.

And the other thing I've started to hear are a lot of people who had preordered on Amazon, but then couldn't wait and ran out to FLGS and tried (some successfully) to get an early release copy. Some canceled their Amazon preorders and others are kept the orders alive to gift their 2nd PHBs.

I kept my 2nd Starter Set, but I canceled my Amazon PHB and HotDQ order after picking them up locally. Kind of regretting it even though I have no reason to get an extra copy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It would be out right moronic ....

Nor would it be terribly bright to use insulting language to describe fellow posters, what with the moderator attention it brings. But it happens occasionally anyway.

Folks, It is pretty simple: keep it civil. Don't be insulting.

Remove ads

Remove ads