• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5th edition artists need to watch Legend of Korra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
There has been a lot of discussion about inclusivity in fantasy art in general, and how the new version of D&D will incorporate it specifically. And a lot of folks have posted how NOT to do it :)

Well, here's how to do it right: New Bios and Images

Note that I am not saying that D&D should be drawn like anime!

However, Korra is an awesome example of a well-drawn and conceived PC. She has curves, she has muscles, she looks like a real person, and she looks cool. Do this please :)

PPS: Need to build puppy-bear in D&D! So cute!

avin

First Post
If there's one anime they should watch for inspiration is Record of Lodoss War OVA... :)

avin

First Post
Ummm... No. D&D does not need more elfy elf girls with blond hair and short skirts. Been there, done that.

You know that inspiration is far away from copy, right? IMO art should not copy Record, as you said, but they could try to capture the essence of the anime that is: a simple D&D story and translate into art. Less is more this time. More realistic armors and weapons.

I know it sound strange to use Lodoss as an example, but my point is to grab the simple essence of story and translate into art, not copy & paste anime.

Just my opinion.

But what D&D does not need is to come back to 80's art. Been there, done that.

Libramarian

Adventurer
This image does not resemble any woman I have ever seen.

She looks like Kim Kardashian with blue contacts in blackface.

Intriguing, but not realistic. Certainly not inclusive.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
This image does not resemble any woman I have ever seen.

She looks like Kim Kardashian with blue contacts in blackface.

Intriguing, but not realistic. Certainly not inclusive.
Really? Kim Kardashian? Are we looking at the same picture? Maybe if she was about 75 pounds lighter, a foot shorter, and had ginormous lips, but as is, I don't see the resemblance. As for blackface, she doesn't have any of those negative images in terms of her facial features. She has tanned skin and blue eyes.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Kim Kardashian is not super thin. She has basically her body type.

Look at her chest, waist and hips (the girl in the image). That's a serious hourglass.

The difference between the fantasy babe body and the average female body is not that the latter is curvier really. Curvy is a euphemism. The average female body is both thicker and less curvy. Such is life.

I just don't see what you found to be so inclusive about this image. Sorry.

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
You have forced me to Google Kim Kardashian :) She is about 120 pounds and stands 5 foot 2. She is a size 4.

However, that isn't really why I wanted to reply. I guess my question for you is, what kind of body type would you consider to be inclusive for a female heroine? Because to me, Korra is very atypical from the fantasy art that has been in D&D. What would you consider to be more inclusive in terms of body type (assuming we are talking about someone who is a reasonably athletic adventurer?)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads