D&D 5E 5th edition Monster Manual: I think the really nice art detracts from the mediocre functionality of the book.

the Jester

Legend
Actually there wasn't one.

There wasn't what, a survey on the MM? Or an overwhelming body of respondents? Or are you just being contrary?

I think you're off here, speaking as one of the many, many people who took all those surveys. There were surveys about the MM, monsters, monster creation, etc. The surveys were, AFAIK, responded to by a large number of gamers.

You're absolutely entitled to your own opinion on the matter, but not your own facts. The surveys were there; the public playtest was there, with basically no hoops or hassle to get involved; according to the PH, over 175,000 gamers playtested, and although we don't have the numbers, even if only 1/4 responded to the surveys, that's still well over 40,000 respondents. That sounds like it fits the bill to me. 40,000 people is far more than most surveys or polls on national issues reach.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
A bit of a sidetrack/tangent.

I've always shown the pictures to my players, going back to 1e. I usually try and cover the stats with one hand while holding the book with the other when I do it.
Sidetrack: Does anyone know if WotC is planning to put up the individual pictures of each monster as they have done previously so I can print them and show a blank illustration card to my players and say: "You see a creature that looks a lot like this" or some such?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
There wasn't what, a survey on the MM? Or an overwhelming body of respondents? Or are you just being contrary?

I think you're off here, speaking as one of the many, many people who took all those surveys. There were surveys about the MM, monsters, monster creation, etc. The surveys were, AFAIK, responded to by a large number of gamers.

You're absolutely entitled to your own opinion on the matter, but not your own facts. The surveys were there; the public playtest was there, with basically no hoops or hassle to get involved; according to the PH, over 175,000 gamers playtested, and although we don't have the numbers, even if only 1/4 responded to the surveys, that's still well over 40,000 respondents. That sounds like it fits the bill to me. 40,000 people is far more than most surveys or polls on national issues reach.

There weren't specific surveys dealing with monsters and monster creation. There were those spaces that allowed you to make your own comments but that was it. We don't know what people were asking for in all honesty, nor do we know if someone was counted who signed up but didn't actually take it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There weren't specific surveys dealing with monsters and monster creation.

Survey #8, associated with an article called A Walk Down Monster Lane by Greg Bilsland. I think it was in April of 2012. It was a big one too. Sorry you missed it. And we do know a lot of what people wrote in the comments section, as there are threads all over the web with hundreds and hundreds of people telling us.

I am curious about something, and if you don't want to answer I understand. But, I get that 5e disappoints you in several ways. Do you feel stuck playing it because it's what your group wants to play, or are you able to get over the disappointing areas, or are you just having fun talking about it but not interested in playing, or are you playing and just not liking it?

Last edited:

drjones

Explorer
There weren't specific surveys dealing with monsters and monster creation. There were those spaces that allowed you to make your own comments but that was it. We don't know what people were asking for in all honesty, nor do we know if someone was counted who signed up but didn't actually take it.

Man it was so much easier to argue on the internet in previous editions when you could just say 'I think most players would agree with me that.. [insert personal opinion that no one agrees with]'. Now ya really have to work hard to deny the available evidence.

Asmor

First Post
Thanks for the mention, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], which brought this to my attention! And for the plug, [MENTION=64365]Fion[/MENTION]. :)

Cool site!

Question: what does the "adjusted XP" total represent when adding creatures to an encounter?

Basically, it's how difficult the encounter is for the players; it's an attempt to take into account the economy of actions. Fighting 8 kobolds at once is more difficult than fighting 8 kobolds one at a time.

It's in the section on building combat encounters near the end of the basic rules; in a nutshell, there's a multiplier that you apply based on how many monsters there are and the party size.

Sorry for not posting about this here... It's been years since I did anything related to D&D, so ENWorld kind of fell off my radar. My B.

Also, everything after the # is not necessary for the link... easier to remember asmor.com/5e/monsters :)

Remove ads