D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

Les Moore

Explorer
I would be expecting a "retro resurgence", personally. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Hasbrah try to cash in on the nostalgia of the older segment of the market.
We already have 5 editions to choose from. Wouldn't be surprised to see them reprint and re-package some of the 1E stuff.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I would be expecting a "retro resurgence", personally. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Hasbrah try to cash in on the nostalgia of the older segment of the market.
We already have 5 editions to choose from. Wouldn't be surprised to see them reprint and re-package some of the 1E stuff.

They already did. :)

Halivar

First Post
They did that just a few short years ago. PHB, DMG, MM, and UA. They had lovely gilt edges.

EDIT: In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it was the success of those reprints that precipitated the retro-friendliness of 5E.

Tony Vargas

Legend
As far as newbies, I've started up a couple of groups now, the newbies don't have a problem with 5E.
I have found 5e works better for new players if you have a mix of experienced/returning & new players at the table, as well as an experienced DM. It's like an immersive language class (or fraternity hazing) at that point. ;) That's part of the brilliance of the 5e design & presentation, it's acceptable enough to us old-timers that we can get enthused about running it in the classic style, and new players, especially returning ones or those caught up in the come-back pick up on that enthusiasm, it can draw them in and get them past the unintuitive/frustrating/dissapointing bits, sometimes you get a genuinely-new player who isn't as interested in the game as returning fad who is put off by the attitude, but mostly it works very well.

That's in contrast to 4e, which an all-new-to-the-hobby group, either with an experienced DM or with just one of them DMing at random, could get into surprisingly easily, because it was less unintuitive, clearer & more consistat, and particularly because it did put so little burden on the DM.

I've had whole tables of new players at once - even using pregens, the ramp up with most RPGs is daunting. 4e is one of the less daunting ones, the least so for an ed of D&D, which isn't saying a lot - there could easily be much more new-player-friendly introductory RPGs, but the issue is that new players rarely come looking to try 'an RPG,' because the only one they'll've heard of is likely D&D...

While 4E had it's merits, every character had supernatural abilities that were spelled out in detail which seemed to limit thinking outside the box.
You are mistaken. All martial classes prior to essentials had no supernatural powers, at all. Even post-Essentials, only the Ranger, Berserker & Skald mixed martial and supernatural powers - but you'd stopped playing by then, so wouldn't have been exposed to them.

It's also odd that you'd point out supernatural powers spelled out in detail as an issue, when every edition of D&D has features spells that are presented in just that sort of way - and 5e has gone so far as to give every class at least some access to spells.

I understand you didn't play long and it's been a while, but thoses are some profound misaprehensions to be laboring under.

By trying to make everyone have similar power levels, everyone became generic.
I though you said you had played the game. The breadth & depth of 4e build choices was rivaled only by 3.x, and the fact they were better balanced only meant more of those choices were genuinely viable, and thus available in the practical sense. Nothing remotely generic going on, there. You could make a case for all characters of any given class back in 1e being 'generic,' of course, but since 2e started introducing options like Kits, the game has moved steadily away from that. Even 5e, as much as it consciously evokes the classic game, has not turned the clock back very far on that.

The mods I was referring to were living campaign specific. But I also had PC wizards shut down combats even after the errata, so not sure what you're talking about.
Can't say I ever played the living mods - I heard they got better, ironically, after WotC cut 'em off. ;)

The lockdown builds of early 4e depended on several items & tricks that were eratta'd away that had allowed wizards (mostly, because they had to hardest control) to cheese up high save penalties that could last the whole (one-sided) encounter, those builds also exploited the odd item to re-use the same daily, such as Sleep. Updates shut them down, the save penalties were errata'd to apply only to the first save, the re-using dailies tricks were nerfed.

But, really, even at it's worst, the capacity of a 4e wizard to just 'shut down' a combat (they still needed their allies to step in and deliver the beat-down or deal with anything else that showed up), didn't compare to the 3.x Tier 1 class's ability to just push an "I win" button and take the whole encounter, by themselves.

Oofta

Legend
...a bunch of stuff on why Tony likes 4E. I'd just use a mention but never have figured out how to do that with people with spaces in their name...

I simply fundamentally disagree with most of what you're saying. Which is an awesome things about opinions, we can just agree to disagree. In my experience 5-10% of players preferred 4E. You sound like one of them which is fine.

I'll let the fact that they felt compelled to come out with a new edition speak for itself. I'm tired of edition wars. As far as I'm concerned, 5E won. .

Tony Vargas

Legend
I simply fundamentally disagree with most of what you're saying. Which is an awesome things about opinions, we can just agree to disagree. In my experience 5-10% of players preferred 4E. You sound like one of them which is fine.
Your experience is clearly with folks who came to 4e from other editions to prefer. And I'm not surprised by it. 4e was not easy for fans of 3e or earlier eds to wrap their heads around, let alone like. It killed too many sacred cows, it made the game better in two many ways that undercut existing ways of leveraging the system.

IMX, and I have no small amount of it, though, genuinely new players took to it better than any other edition. 5e is not the worst in that regard, but the best ways to bring new players into it are by immersing them in a table of mostly-experienced players, or by outright concealing the system from them as much as possible and bringing them into it by degrees, the very old-school Gygaxian philosophy of the DM always needing to have greater mastery of the rules to maintain an air of mystery. It works on a small minority of new players, but it works /really/ well. Almost like indocrinating them into a grognard religion. ;)

I'm tired of edition wars. As far as I'm concerned, 5E won.
Oh, I don't disagree that 4e lost the edition war in a big way (though 3e didn't exactly win the way it's adherents had hoped, either). 5e shows a clear adherence to the most traditionalist of the edition warriors' agendas - and it happend to work well enough in the current come-back market.

But, if you really are tired of it, why keep attacking the dead edition? 4e's no threat to you, anymore. There's no need to keep warring against it.

Remove ads