7 Things To Remember About Copyright Before You Distribute That Cool Thing You Made!

Big Bucky

Explorer
In theory there’s no difference between non commercial use and commercial use but in practice I feel like it makes a big difference. Suing is expensive. Most people not making money on the product just aren’t worth suing.

The first step would probably be a takedown notice. If you refuse then that’s usually where lawyers get involved. I’m not a lawyer so take all this with a grain of salt.

I’d be curious to hear if anyone knows of a person Who got sued for distributing noncommercial copyrighted material.

Big Bucky

Explorer
Morrus bumped it because it’s important and I agree. Not everyone on here would have seen it when it was first posted. I know you’re just being snarky but those necromancer comments always rub me the wrong way.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Morrus bumped it because it’s important and I agree. Not everyone on here would have seen it when it was first posted. I know you’re just being snarky but those necromancer comments always rub me the wrong way.
Yes...I am able to read the writing that he posted to resurrect the thread and aware of how time passing affects the nature of a messageboard. Thank you for the summary. <---this is snark

I actually was just making a joke, not being negative in any way. I actually enjoy necro'ed threads because i'm old enough that I sometime don't remember writing what I wrote in them. <----this is serious thought

Perhaps you should re-calibrate your irritability threshold. <---This is a snarky joke

Zardnaar

Legend
On paper NZ is similar to UK.

In practice it's not. There's a reason Kim.com came here.

If it's very blatant the courts will back the IP holder. For example we had a brewery here called Duff's, the owners of the Simpsons found out and kicked up a stink and they changed the name (to McDuffs).

If you opened a McDonalds family restaurant you're screwed however one family got away with it because their last name was McDonald and it had been in the family for 3 generations predating McDonalds corporation and they got away with it. No franchising though.

I think Kim.com is still free if broke. What he did is fairly blatant but still got away with it I think.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
On paper NZ is similar to UK.

In practice it's not. There's a reason Kim.com came here.

If it's very blatant the courts will back the IP holder. For example we had a brewery here called Duff's, the owners of the Simpsons found out and kicked up a stink and they changed the name (to McDuffs).

If you opened a McDonalds family restaurant you're screwed however one family got away with it because their last name was McDonald and it had been in the family for 3 generations predating McDonalds corporation and they got away with it. No franchising though.

I think Kim.com is still free if broke. What he did is fairly blatant but still got away with it I think.
Has he not been kicked out of NZ yet? Thought we were rid of him a couple years ago. Maybe he's just keeping quiet.

Zardnaar

Legend
Has he not been kicked out of NZ yet? Thought we were rid of him a couple years ago. Maybe he's just keeping quiet.

I don't know he got to stay to long. I heard he went broke and the internet party thing fizzled out.

I assumed he was staying quiet.

But yeah even if you sue and win it's hard to get a multi million payout.

Hi-

So if I wanted to design an adventure based in the Forgotten realms and designing NPC's/ monsters from the MM and PHB, that would be a No Go?

Scott
Note that the previous responses to this question are no longer complete. There are two wasy that someone could legally do this (now) and distribute the content. Once can distribute it for free if they follow the Wizards Fan Content Policy, or they can distribute it for free or for sale if they do so on the www.DMsGuild.com.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Note that the previous responses to this question are no longer complete. There are two wasy that someone could legally do this (now) and distribute the content. Once can distribute it for free if they follow the Wizards Fan Content Policy, or they can distribute it for free or for sale if they do so on the www.DMsGuild.com.
Wouldn’t the creation and use in a local group have always been allowed? Public distribution, for profit or otherwise, is where problems lie.
Be Safe, Be Well
Tom Bitonti

Remove ads