7th level characters

trentonjoe

Explorer
Re: Re: 7th level characters

reapersaurus said:

My guess is that you aren't familiar with the 3E rules, and are just looking for a roleplaying get-together.

Wow, am I taking a beating on this one.

In my defense:

1. The above statement wasn't very nice. If I said you probably weren't familiar with replying politely I think you would be insulted.

2. Maybe "limit" wasn't the right word. And average should have been defined.

Let me retry.

I am running a game for a bunch of people that I don't know. What do you think I could expect from some sample 7th level characters? I am anticipating ACs around 20 (remember the 20,000 gp item limit, and I do mean "limit" here) and attack bonuses from the fitgher types to be around 13ish. Do you think these are reasonable assumptions or will multiple characters exceed these expectations. I don't consider myself a powergamer but there is a fair amount of combat. I am not conserned with duration spells because the module is designed to tax the parties resources in a single "day". I am aware that charcaters can increase their abilities for a single combat by casting spells.

I have limited the choices for class and euiptment to only WOTC products.

I don't want to limit the fun of the particapents but I would like everyone to have comparable characters.

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
the reason why i guessed about the rules ignorance is purely personal, and 2-fold:
(It was a guess, and i don't know you.)
1) Usually when people want restrictions and cautious limits on things, it's because they are not familiar with the material that will be covered.
2) I have played with a DM that didn't know my wife and I, and there were problems about overpowered characters.
Not because our characters were necessarily overpowered, but because the normal play was fairly one-dimensional and didn't utilize the 3E rules effectively.
I don't want to limit the fun of the particapents but I would like everyone to have comparable characters.
Why?
If someone makes a weak character, then why punish the ones that make effective ones?
(remember, were not discussing munchkin stuff, just normal by-the-rules gaming)

Does anyone else feel worried that trentonjoe would be thinking the AC of a 7th level PC would be around 20?
*bells going off BIG-time...*

And I would think that the attack bonus for a 7th level fighter-type would be at the minimum +13.
(+7 from classes, +4 from STR, +1 from WF, and +1 from MW weapon)

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
ACs around 20 are super easy to get. Take normal Full Plate, and normal Lg. Shield. 20 AC. I'd expect 3rd level characters to be able to have that gear.

A very reasonable +2 plate, +2 shield, +1 dex would be 25. Anyone that's willing to burn some gold on defenses and suck up movement and armor check penalties can have this AC. Alternatively, it could be achieved with Magic Vestment spells, possibly extended.

Tank characters will have about 25 AC normally, with the ability to increase it via expertise, buff spells etc.

Attack oriented characters will probably be striking at around +15 from base attack, ability mods, magic weapons, ability boosts, etc.

At level 6, when myself and a bunch of others joined our current campaign, my cleric had 21 AC with relatively cheap armor and DEX penalty because I rolled poorly. Our fighter had about the same because he only wore leather, but had once per day item that casts shield, so he could really boost his defenses. Our wizard and sorcerer had only DEX and a +1 ring or amulet for AC, but often flew, went invis, cast shield, etc. We still taunt the wizard because he cast spells like Fly and shield in at the beginning of every fight. I could have easily increased my AC - I saved about 1/2 my starting gold, and could have used Magic Vestment and Shield of Faith. With better stats and spending my money and some spells, a cleric could have had 29 from his own abilities.

Don't forget that characters will often use fun spells on each other. For example, when the wizard casts Bull's strenth and Haste on the fighter, he gains substancial defensive and offensive boosts. Bull's strength, Magic Vestment, and similar spells will last of the day, so they will have a major impact. Clever people who find ways to boost caster level will have even greater effects.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Victim said:

Tank characters will have about 25 AC normally, with the ability to increase it via expertise, buff spells etc.

Attack oriented characters will probably be striking at around +15 from base attack, ability mods, magic weapons, ability boosts, etc.

Thanks everyone! This it what I was anticipating from the beginning.

ELder-Basilick got the AC up to the 26-27 range without spells but that would require the sacrifice of some offensive potential.

" Bull's strength, Magic Vestment, and similar spells will last of the day, so they will have a major impact. "

Thanks for the info. I am not really worried about these guys because one or two points won't kill me. I justed wanted an idea about what could happen so I can plan accordingly.

"Does anyone else feel worried that trentonjoe would be thinking the AC of a 7th level PC would be around 20? "

I don't know why this would worry you but I guess I play in a lower magic game. Lots of my groups PCs AC tend to stop at about 22-23. Even our High level characters (for us that is 9-12) have ACs around there. We might have one character that has a base AC of 26. Most of the characters have an ability to raise them temporarilty (spells, item, psionics, etc) but our base AC is low. OUr groups AC dosen't look alot different than than the AC on the sample npc pages in the DMG.

Thanks again for the info. I know my way isn't the only way to play D&D, and I will be playing with people I don't know, so I wanted some "new" ideas. I don't think I will be shocked now if someone submits a character with a 26 AC now. Thanks again!

Remove ads