• 5. Fellowship: enjoying the company of friends

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • 6. Discovery: seeking out hidden things, the lure of the unknown

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • 7. Expression: letting out your creative side

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • 8. Submission: losing yourself in the game to switch off the world

Votes: 16 32.7%

I'm not sure any of those motivations describe my interest in the game.

What interests me most are the psychological aspects of play. I enjoy creating strange world and off scenarios. I do not, however, consider them a form of expression. When I want to express myself, I write a novel. In D&D, I gain pleasure from seeing how my players will react to the fantasy world I have created - the way they cope with and overcome is alien nature.

I enjoy the way the game changes people.
  • Does the Christian devotee suddenly become a murderhobo when suddenly his God disappears?
  • Does the animal lover's affinity for nature extend to imaginary wildlife ? How is it expressed differently in-game, as opposed to real life?
  • Who's the one who pushes the Big Red Button (TM) inscribed with the words "Push me baby, one more time." Is it the shy Java programmer or the daring sky-diver?

I'm not sure any of those motivations describe my interest in the game.

What interests me most are the psychological aspects of play. I enjoy creating strange world and off scenarios. I do not, however, consider them a form of expression. When I want to express myself, I write a novel. In D&D, I gain pleasure from seeing how my players will react to the fantasy world I have created - the way they cope with and overcome is alien nature.

I enjoy the way the game changes people.
  • Does the Christian devotee suddenly become a murderhobo when suddenly his God disappears?
  • Does the animal lover's affinity for nature extend to imaginary wildlife ? How is it expressed differently in-game, as opposed to real life?
  • Who's the one who pushes the Big Red Button (TM) inscribed with the words "Push me baby, one more time." Is it the shy Java programmer or the daring sky-diver?
Worldbuilding does fit right in the middle of expression, though - you're creating something. That's all it takes. If you didn't care about expression, you'd just use pre-made stuff. The other questions would fall into discovery - you're discovering / uncovering something about those players.

Which isn't to say it's a perfect model - just pointing out that these examples don't really work against it.

Worldbuilding does fit right in the middle of expression, though - you're creating something. That's all it takes. If you didn't care about expression, you'd just use pre-made stuff. The other questions would fall into discovery - you're discovering / uncovering something about those players.

Which isn't to say it's a perfect model - just pointing out that these examples don't really work against it.

We can agree to disagree. Building a world is not necessarily motivated by "expression." Nor to I think experimenting on my players's minds is the same as pretending to open an imaginary door.

We can agree to disagree. Building a world is not necessarily motivated by "expression." Nor to I think experimenting on my players's minds is the same as pretending to open an imaginary door.
Those are the definitions in the model - so that's rejecting the entire model at a very fundamental level.

Which is a valid point of view but doesn't really add much to the discussion unless you're willing to provide a new model/set of definitions.

Remove ads