D&D 5E 9 Things "Pro" DMs Do That You shouldn't

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The ones who are doing Actual Play podcasts and YouTube shows? They're pros in the sense that they're getting paid to DM.

All of them except maybe the "three hour long fight" one seem to be pretty standard for Actual Plays that I've listened to or watched. But that's because what makes for a fun listening experience isn't the same thing as what makes for a good gameplay experience. Good APs tend to be more like improvised radio plays that use the game as a structure for improvising off of, which is not the same thing as what makes a good game IME.

(Who is running three hour combats in an AP by the way? That sounds like it would be immensely boring to listen to or watch.)
Oh, got it. Yeah, I can't get into watching others play. I have tried and found it boring as paint drying. I think it is a horrible method for new DMs to learn to DM because trying to make a good passive experience (the "pros" people watch/listen to for entertainment) is nothing like trying to make a good active experience (playing).

(Who is running three hour combats in an AP by the way? That sounds like it would be immensely boring to listen to or watch.)
I've seen a few combats on Critical Role run for an hour, hour-and-a-half that feel longer, especially towards the tail end once it's clear the player characters are winning. Dunno about three-hour-long combats.

Not a direct reply to the above:

I'm inclined to say that Critical Role and such shows are an odd mixture of actual gameplay and audience-targeted narrative. There have been a few fights, for instance, that weren't very exciting to watch (from an audience perspective) that the players seemed to be enjoying. So they're not exactly shows meant for audience entertainment, but they certainly aren't home games, and DMs should be careful about what lessons to draw from them.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Oh, got it. Yeah, I can't get into watching others play. I have tried and found it boring as paint drying. I think it is a horrible method for new DMs to learn to DM because trying to make a good passive experience (the "pros") is nothing like trying to make a good active experience (playing).

Yes,

The big point is - DMing for players is VERY different from DMing for viewers. DMs AND players really need to be cognizant of this big difference.

Dausuul

Legend
1. Long Monologues/narrative descriptions/cut scenes;
2. Focus too much on NPC talks;
3. Wait for the "perfect" moment to introduce a new/replacement PC;
4. Plan for Three hour long fights;
5. Putting the story before the game;
6. Have temporary characters that are planned to be killed off;
7. Allowing PVP or truly high tension Player moments;
8. Letting characters talk endlessly;
9. Setting expectations too high.
I'll disagree a bit on #7. PvP is okay with the right players. In my group it typically happens when a PC turns to the dark side, and the player of that character wants a spectacular end to the PC's fall.

However, the "griefer" style of PvP should absolutely not be tolerated.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'll disagree a bit on #7. PvP is okay with the right players. In my group it typically happens when a PC turns to the dark side, and the player of that character wants a spectacular end to the PC's fall.

I suppose it could , in theory, work. For the right group.

But in 35 years of gaming I have, never, not once seen it work well in D&D.

Even in a D&D game where everyone was a mature adult and we agreed beforehand that PvP was fine and everyone was playing an evil character. Though the reason for that one not working was different. Everyone was so intent on doing their own thing that the DM had to split his attention like 6 different ways - most of the time most of the players were bored silly and it was just not a fun experience.

So can it be done? I'm sure it can, and I've seen it work in other games (Paranoia being a prime example). But I haven't seen it done satisfactorily in D&D.

Yora

Legend

It's something that requires moderation by the GM with established ground rules.

However, I see the opposite with number 8: If you're players are talking, don't interrupt them. They are playing the game.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It's something that requires moderation by the GM with established ground rules.

However, I see the opposite with number 8: If you're players are talking, don't interrupt them. They are playing the game.

True unless, it's just one or two players doing all the talking and the other players can't get a word in edgewise (and would clearly like to or to participate in some other way). That's spotlight hogging and needs to be dealt with.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases