• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) A 3pp Publishing Question

Faolyn

(she/her)
I tried sending this as a private message to @Morrus but I guess it didn't go through?

I'm in the hopefully final stages of my LU-compatible book (the last of the art taking forever!), and I'm not 100% clear on a few of the rules as presented on the site. These are probably dumb questions, but I really want to make sure.

1: The logo. Can remove the white background, if necessary?

2: For the interior title page, am I allowed to have the subtitle "a collection of heritages and cultures for Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition" as long as that's not on the cover page?

3: You write "Additionally, you may not depict genitals [...] in art or text", but is the term "cloaca" OK? In the sense of, this heritage lacks sexual dimorphism and externally, both sexes have cloacas.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Note: this is not legal advice, and the final say is the text of the license itself, not this post.

1. The logo doesn’t have a white background. It is a .png file with a transparent background.
2. You cannot use those words in your title. It makes no difference where you put your title.
3. Technically as written, no. Though that’s not the intention of that clause. I’ll make a note of that for the future.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Thanks for the info. I can rewrite the section with the cloacas and I hadn't actually written the subtitle yet, so I just won't write it like that.

Technically the cloaca is not the genitalia in reptiles IIRC (not sure if that is the same in your heritage). It is the chamber that execratory and gentian functions end in, but it is it not itself either of these. So I think technically your fine on that one.

as an example, lizards the cloaca houses the hemipenes (the genitalia) and anus, protecting them both from the outside.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Technically the cloaca is not the genitalia in reptiles IIRC (not sure if that is the same in your heritage). It is the chamber that execratory and gentian functions end in, but it is it not itself either of these. So I think technically your fine on that one.

as an example, lizards the cloaca houses the hemipenes (the genitalia) and anus, protecting them both from the outside.
I know, but it's close enough that I wanted to make sure.

PQuix

Villager
Semi-hijacking this thread to ask: Can I get the A5E books printed at a service akin to lulu.com?

I only backed the PDF's, and have realized that I want to have them physically, and I was playing with the idea of getting them printed and bound.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Semi-hijacking this thread to ask: Can I get the A5E books printed at a service akin to lulu.com?

I only backed the PDF's, and have realized that I want to have them physically, and I was playing with the idea of getting them printed and bound.
The reason they're not available as print on demand is because the cost to print books of that size at a decent quality is ridiculous. PoD just isn't suitable for books this big. The AG comes to about $95 to print (and that's before shipping or any margin for us) using DTRPG's PoD service. Looking at Lulu it's even more:

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.56.14 AM.png

So I strongly suggest you just buy one from us!

Remove ads