• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A&A Pacific 1940

Crothian

First Post
I'm not sure we have many (any?) Axis and Allies fans on these boards but the latest game of that ever expanding boardgame line has come out. It is sadly not a home run like the anniversary edition of the original game is. It is just the pacific theater but later this year the Europe game is coming out and then these two games can be combined into one very large game of Axis and Allies.

There are some great things in the game and some crappy things. Unfortunately the crappy stuff you see first. Some of the pieces (AA guns and Industrial complex) are chits instead of plastic pieces. There is no money in the game. The game uses money like it has always done, but it doesn't include any. It suggests paper and pencil to keep track but the game doesn't even give you that. The battle board seems like one from another game as not all the units are on it and some of the units on it the numbers are wrong. The chart to keep track of how much money each country is making doesn't go high enough. The chart goes up to 48 and America with just the continental US space can be worth 50. It is also easy to run out of pieces when sending planes to many different places.

It does have some good improvements to the game. Airfields and seabases are chits and can be bought. There are tactical bombers and mechanized infantry in the game. There are two type of industrial complexes. China gets its own pieces and is more like a real country though it still has restriction s and is controlled by the US player. England and Australia are separate entities unlike the original pacific game which had them oddly merged. Victory is for capturing cities for a Japan win and capturing japan for an allies win; none of that turn markers thing.

There are the things I'm not sure on as well. There is a political thing where countries aren't at war at the beginning but eventually will be. I'm not sure what advantage not being at war really has. It seems Japan might want to keep America out of the war for a few turns, but I don't see why America wouldn't just attack Japan and put themselves in the war.

I just got the game yesterday and will hopefully be playing either this weekend or next!

Dire Bare

Legend
There are some great things in the game and some crappy things. Unfortunately the crappy stuff you see first. Some of the pieces (AA guns and Industrial complex) are chits instead of plastic pieces. There is no money in the game.

Chits? No money? WTH!?!?! For a big game that "deluxe" and expensive, that's crap! Especially because A&A has always been a "chit-less" game. Wow.

I was all excited to purchase this myself, now I'm not so sure.

Crothian

First Post
The game had chits to mark territories taken. Some versions have had ones to indicate damage on industrial complexes. Chits have been used in the game but it is odd since they used to be 3d plasitic pieces. The no money is also really wierd.

The board is nice and big offering plenty of space and no need for fleet markers, so there are deluxe elements. Like I said there are some crappy elements and some good.

Hierax

First Post
Hasbro is definitely cheapening out once again on the components, like they did in A&A 1942, (cardboard chits instead of plastic miniatures, thinner cardboard than Milton Bradley, no paper money, and not actually enough units to even set things up properly without using chips). This time it's worse though since A&A 1942 was a relatively cheap in price, so cheap components is somewhat (though not entirely) excusable than in an expensive version like this where premium price should = premium components, sad that it doesn't.

A&A Pacific looks like a decent game (that is once you get the errata as even the initial setup is flawed in the book!).

All these physical problems shouldn't affect the free Triple A e-version though.

Not sure what level of bid will be necessary to balance this one out though yet, that'll take some play to discover.

But how well this new A&A Pacific will integrate with the upcoming new A&A Europe to form a big-assed uber game is what I'm really dying to find out...

Crothian

First Post
Is there official errata yet? I've seen some unofficial and it wasn't all correct it seems so I really didn't look too closely at it. I haven't seen anything that about the board lay out beingh wrong except for a sea space that shouldn't connect to Korea.

We played yesterday in a very long game. I think it lasted around 15 rounds and we were not doing anything fast. There are plenty of rules changes from what we are used to it so we had much to think over. I so far like the game despite the none deluxe feel of everything. It seems to play well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads