D&D General A Better Winter Through D&D

GilMan21

Nice Fella.
I write a newsletter to fight against my weapons-grade depression. This is from that newsletter.
There is a Danish concept called Hygge (Hoo-GA!) which roughly translates to comfort. It's where you simply have an open invitation to some close friends. You have blankets and candles, food on the stove like a good stew or soup, a puzzle or boardgame set out. Books are strewn about.

You simply have people over. And I mean—simply. No agenda. No schedule. If people want to nap and rest. Great. If they want to read and chat, fine. It's a time not to combat the cold winter, but to let it in and let it pass. It's a time to naturally slow down.

I find this time is more about board games. Something people can pick up easily like a good old Ticket to Ride or 7 Wonders. It's not a time for deep calculation—just a time to rest and enjoy each other's company. I'm planning a couple of Hygge days and nights at my place. (I have limited seating. I can comfortably seat 3-4 people. Hello, Chicago.)

But I simply plan on putting food on the stove (I'm thinking Ramen) as well as a nice stew in the Insta-Pot. I'll stack some games on the table and have some chill music on. Now some people would say, "This would be a good time for a movie or video game." But I would say that getting away from electronics gives the mind some much needed rest (and as a clear iPhone addict, it is tough for me!)
  • Light some candles. And I plan on starting the day at 9 AM and wrapping up around 9 AM. A nice twelve hours of a Hygge-like sabbath. (And to be honest, I'll need a walk around 1 PM before darkness falls. I tend to get a little stir-crazy.)
  • If RPGS are your thing, try something spooky like Ten Candles or A Town Called Malice.
  • If you want to avoid the spooky part, I can't recommend Tales from the Loop more.
Try it out. Invite your friends over for a cold day of rest, games, puzzles and stew. So much stew! (And I'd encourage you to have them bring something like a bottle of wine or even, you guessed it, more stew. Love me some stew.)

And I'd love to know how your game changes in the winter. (And I know this is a bit promote-y, but I do a tiny newsletter about gaming here.)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Sounds wonderful!

Since I live somewhere that the low is only going to be 43 sometime next week... winter isn't really a thing where I live. But if it WAS, I can totally get behind something like this :)

I think that's a great idea. Gaming is a great way to stay active and social during winter.

For my part, my gaming doesn't change too much in winter. If the weather's bad, I'll cancel my home group (I host, but I don't want people venturing out in bad conditions), but knock on wood that doesn't happen too much. As for my open table, it's in my neighborhood, so unless the venue closes, I game. There have been a few times the roads have gotten too icy to drive, so I've walked instead.

Remove ads