A bit on the new WotC mini's game

realmprotector

Explorer
Don't know if this has been posted before the story is dated Jan 20th. but I thought I'd post it anyway just in case:
From ICv2.com

WotC To Release D&D CMG
Fall Debut Planned

January 20, 2003
Wizards of the Coast is planning to release a Dungeons & Dragons Collectible Miniatures Game this fall utilizing pre-painted plastic miniatures that will be released in starter sets and boosters. WizKids invented this category with their Mage Knight CMG, which was released in 2000. CMGs marry the tactics of military strategy games with the business model of collectible card games in a union that has been, hands down, the hottest new development in gaming since the category was revolutionized by WotC's original collectible card game, Magic the Gathering. Although many of the details (including the actual name of the product) remain hush-hush, ICv2 was able receive answers on a few questions from Chris Toepker, the Category Manager for Miniatures at Wizards of the Coast.

Are you planning a new version of Chainmail using pre-painted plastic miniatures that come randomly packed?

We are planning a Dungeons & Dragons miniatures game with pre-painted plastic miniatures. It will go beyond previous offerings in size and scope, with play from skirmish to massive battles supported. The figures themselves will come from popular D&D material like the core rulebooks (including the Monster Manual), and popular supplements like Psionics Handbook, NY Times best-selling books,etc. For more information you should contact your local distributor and stay tuned.

Will you include cards to help players use the figures in D&D as well as in a separate stand-alone Collectible Miniatures Games (CMG)?

Yes. D&D is a robust game and the miniatures line will support all modes of play.

If you are doing a CMG, will you publish a rulebook or include it in a "starter set?"

Yes, we plan to do both (the stand-alone book will be called the D&D Miniatures Book.)

What about the folks who purchased the metal Chainmail figures, will there be any crossover?

There is a lot of backward compatibility. For example, many of the most popular Chainmail figures are being included in the first release, and others will be included in future sets. In other words, you can bring your metal figure and use it.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I hadn't seen that article before. Thanks for posting it.

Does mean they've officially announced it, then? All we had were rumours before.

I've just visited the WotC boards... a copy of the article was posted there yesterday. I wonder if the date is wrong on the article?

I can't see anything really official-looking on their site yet.

Cheers!

realmprotector

Explorer
MerricB said:
I hadn't seen that article before. Thanks for posting it.

Does mean they've officially announced it, then? All we had were rumours before.

I've just visited the WotC boards... a copy of the article was posted there yesterday. I wonder if the date is wrong on the article?

I can't see anything really official-looking on their site yet.

Cheers!

Well the origional "rumor" came from the discription in the last WotC catalog for 3.5 which mentions the mini game, so I would say that was the kind of sorta "official" announcement for retailers. Don't think you'll get anything trully "official" till Gamma or maybe Gen-Con.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
What upsets me is that these miniatures are probably going to be made of the same plastic as Mage-Knight. This upsets me, and that's my opinion. I wanted something more reminiscent of the good old Hero-Quest days of long past...

Holy Bovine

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
But will they have a good female dwarf mini with a greatsword?

Grrr, still lookin'!

Make one! Buy a female dwarf mini with axe, hammer whatever and another mini (preferably from the same line) with a greatsword. Choppy-chop, glue and Bob's your uncle!

Just finished a conversion for one of my players who wielded a warhammer. Mini came with an axe.

Weapons swaps are easy to do.

kengar

First Post
Holy Bovine said:

Make one! Buy a female dwarf mini with axe, hammer whatever and another mini (preferably from the same line) with a greatsword. Choppy-chop, glue and Bob's your uncle!

Just finished a conversion for one of my players who wielded a warhammer. Mini came with an axe.

Weapons swaps are easy to do.

What he said! :D Try this one.

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
JHKU9N1P.jpeg

A friend actually already bought this mini to represent Kilona, and I like her, but where's her beard? Also, even if I did a weapon swap, she'd only have one hand on her sword.

I ordered online a mini of a male dwarf w/ a greatsword, but I guess it's hard to tell the difference between males and females anyway. ;)

Maybe I can shorten the beard a little on the mini, but even if I can't, I think I'll be happy.

Remove ads