• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A bit tired of people knocking videogames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryan77

Adventurer
So these look the same to you, do they?

zweihander-landsknecht.jpg
CloudBFS.jpg

Yeah, of course they do. He wouldn't have used his real life examples if they were not the same as the gigantic weapons that a lot of anime characters wield. He's trying to defend his anime and prove everyone wrong. Obviously they are the same thing, duh.

Raven Crowking

First Post
So I suppose because some people in real life have big googly eyes, we're not allowed to decry big googly eyes as being anime.

Some people wear school uniforms, too.......;)

(EDIT: That smiley up there? That's for you, JW.)

((EDIT to the EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add :D and :lol: ))

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
Chess is good game. Blackjack is a good game.

So ... they come out with Chess 2.0. Thing is, it plays much like Blackjack.

How could you not say "This Chess is too much like Blackjack?" They are supposed to be different and each has its place and its fan base.

They're not "supposed to be" anything. You're trying to rationalize your opinion with an argument that doesn't actually has a basis in rational thought.

Dannager

First Post
I have found that the term "video game RPG" is a meaningless buzzword that marketing attaches to some games in hopes that it will make the game more attractive to certain demographics, and leaves off of others for the same reason.

A video game RPG typically has one or more elements of measurable, mechanical character progression (levels, skill points, attributes, perks, etc.) rather than a static protagonist. This is distinct from other games in which the most meaningful change in the main character's ability stems directly from picking up a new gun. In this sense, calling a video game an RPG definitely does have meaning.

You can complain that this isn't True Roleplaying (tm), but the reality is that no one person gets to decide what is and what isn't roleplaying, or a roleplaying game.

Raven Crowking

First Post
In this sense, calling a video game an RPG definitely does have meaning.

And

the reality is that no one person gets to decide what is and what isn't roleplaying, or a roleplaying game.

Are sorta funny together.

If you really believe the second, then the first is no more meaningful than the claim that it is not an rpg, and the word "definitely" is definitely wrong.

Conversely, if you believe the first to be true, there must be some way for a person to validate that calling something an rpg has, or does not have, meaning, in some definite sense. In which case, the second part is wrong.

(Me, I'd go with the second part being right, were I you. Especially because, if you don't grant that an avatar in a computer game is really more of a "character" in the tabletop rpg sense than a checker is in a game of checkers, your "measurable, mechanical character progression" also would apply to pieces in checkers.)

EDIT: I can easily see how one could approach play in a tabletop game as though it were constrained as is a video game. I have never, however, seen a video game that can handle play as occurs in my tabletop game. There is a difference, even if you choose not to partake in it.

RC

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
Chess is good game. Blackjack is a good game.

So ... they come out with Chess 2.0. Thing is, it plays much like Blackjack.

How could you not say "This Chess is too much like Blackjack?" They are supposed to be different and each has its place and its fan base.

That would be a better analogy if all tabletop RPGs played the same way, and all video games played the same way. They don't.

There are enough similarities among them - which others have discussed here, and which are well known, so I will not get into that now - that the point applies.

But in any case, the tabletop RPG in question is usually D&D.

They're not "supposed to be" anything.

Sure they are. Chess & blackjack play distinctive roles in society. Go ask people and you'll see what is supposed of them.

A chair is supposed to be useful to sit on. That doesn't mean a sky fairy declared it so, but people have good reason to suppose it will be and to want it to be. If it isn't, don't call it a chair.

You're trying to rationalize your opinion with an argument that doesn't actually has a basis in rational thought.

Dannager, that comment doesn't add anything to your first false claim other than making you look like a pretentious jerk. Just so you know.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
So these look the same to you, do they?

zweihander-landsknecht.jpg
CloudBFS.jpg

You're right - the real one is bigger then the fantasy one ;)

Also I typo'd, it's Osla Big-Knife.

I gave two examples because I couldn't be bothered to list more, knowing it'd just be ignored anyways. Woops look who was right!

Raven Crowking

First Post
Also I typo'd, it's Osla Big-Knife.

I managed to find reference to the character in Wikipedia. He apparently appears in two Welsh Arthurian romances (one of which is a dream), and may have been based off of a real person (authorities suggest more than one candidate).

If based off a real person, this would be an exaggeration, one imagines, of a real weapon -- rather like that anime sword in the picture is an exaggeration of a real weapon.

I gave two examples because I couldn't be bothered to list more, knowing it'd just be ignored anyways. Woops look who was right!

Unless "responded to" = "ignored anyways" in your lexicon, "Woops look who was right!" must refer to someone other than yourself.

Now, I can name the platypus and the spiny echidna. Are you willing to accept that egg-laying is a "huge mainstay" of mammalian reproduction, or do you have more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_swords#Swords

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_swords

Best of luck.

RC

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Nope.

How about this: BFS - Television Tropes & Idioms

Hey look a bunch of things that are neither anime nor video games that have big swords.

In the end the disgust for big swords is little more then an excuse to classify some fans as being "not as good" as other fans. Congrats on that, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads