• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A bit tired of people knocking videogames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think Dannager and others would have half as much trouble with this adjective if, upon examination, those who used it were as honest as this.

"4E is too videogamey!"
"What do you mean by that?"
"I don't know, it's just a feeling, I can't put it any better than that."

That's a perfectly reasonable answer to the question and end of conversation right there.
Here's the thing: but for one early example from another thread that was posted without some kimd of citation- as in "Poster X said Y in thread Z, and here's the link"- every poster who has used the term in this thread HAS eventually specified (at least in part) what in 4Ed feels videogamey to them.

We've had posters talk about how Healing Surges are like life bars; gameworld constraints of a CRPG gameworld vs the ability of a live DM to alter the world on the fly; how some feel the increased workload of condition tracking is something that was better left to the computer games they play- and design- as opposed to having people track them all...

I think that's pretty damn honest.

Re: statements like this (and variations):
This is not video-gamey.

Telling someone that something "is not video-gamey" won't change someone's perspective that a game element reminds them of videogames, no matter how you say it, no matter how crafty your counterassertion.

I've seen countless discussions about the nature of HP and what Healing Surges represent, and Surges still conjure up a mental image of me playing Yoshimitsu in a Tekken game or some random sequence from a FPS and watching the little life bar change.

Each and every time I use one, even after all this time.

In the phrase "I think that 4E is the worst edition of D&D ever because it's too videogamey" it's clearly meant as an insult, for example. And if the speaker has any experience on these forums, he knows that the term in question is likely to raise some backs from previous use of that specific term as an insult.

There is a difference between an "insult" and a "judgement"- you can only insult a sentient being.

When I say that something in a game is too videogamey- and say that I don't like that element on those grounds- I'm judging the game element, not throwing out an insult, because the game has no feelings. I'm expressing a valid and factual observation that the element in question reminds me of videogames, and that this is something I don't prefer to have in my TTRPGs.

And as that, the term "videogamey" is no more loaded than terms like "simulationist" or "gamist".*

* BTW, WTF does "gamist" mean anyway?

Last edited:

racoffin

First Post
I'm genuinely interested in what is meant - I know the term can't be meaningless because it comes up from so many sides and from people I don't expect to argue in bad faith. There is clearly something there. Which is why I have kept trying to pick apart to see what's meant until RC came up with a good answer. I'm more interested in learning than not being irritated by border-skirmishes on the edition wars even if I do find them irritating. But yes, that's the other part I have been trying to get across - especially now I've understood the underlying complaint.

I can certainly understand that. From a few of my players, they felt that the way the game operated reminded them of games in the ilk of Diablo or Final Fantasy Tactics (the only thing they had to go by, not big WoW players. :) ) in that it seemed everyone had a certain little tree or two of powers to draw from that they could use all the time. Whether that is a true complaint or critique of the system wasn't the point to them; they thought of it as too limiting for what they wanted to do.

As time has gone on, a few have reread the rules, listened to commentary at game stores, cons, and message boards and have come to new conclusions. Some are big 4E fans, some still are not interested in playing it for the reasons given above.

Hope that helps in the battle for clarification.

No one is saying they can't feel that. We're saying that discussions would be more productive if you kept the confusing video game comparisons to yourself and instead discussed the actual issues.
And I'm saying IT IS HUMAN NATURE TO BE VAGUE. You can't fix that.
No one is going Thought Police on you. It's troubling that you've managed to perceive our argument that way.
It's troubling that you think logic matters on an Internet forum. Especially when the topic is emotionally charged and the poster is, most likely, RANTING about something he HATES.

The other troubling thing here is most of the people responding to you have never said "I don't like XXX. It's too videogamey." I haven't. We are the people to whom your argument is most likely to work (since we sometimes think before we post) and it hasn't. Why haven't you reevaluated your stance based on that?

Consider these questions. If you say 'no' to any of them, then you need to explain why because by saying 'no' you have lost common ground with me and I can't comprehend how your thoughts work:

Do you acknowledge that calling something videogamey does NOT imply that video games suck?

Do humans use limited facts and misinformation on which to base their opinions?

Do you acknowledge that thinking something reminds them of a video game is entirely possible? Even if the specific element that reminds them of a video game actually does not originate in video games?

Did you learn in grade school that in English add -y to a noun generally turns it into an adjective meaning "having the quality or qualities of X"?

The sentence "Y has the quality or qualities of X" does not require that Y possess ALL qualities of X, right?

Do you believe English is a living language and new words are coined every day?

Is videogamey an English word meaning "having the quality or qualities of a video game"?

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned

Actually it can be fixed, but there must be an incentive of some sort and people must want it to be fixed. Like any problem, most people just can't see they're the one with the problem. The first step is always acknowledging it, but most people can't see it.

MrMyth

First Post
Well, this thread has wandered all over the place, but I suppose I may as well toss my thoughts into the ring. Uh... warning, very long post, so I've used spoiler tags to help reduce the length.

In general, I think most complaints about an RPG being "videogamey" break down into one of three different categories.

1) A player sees something happen in a game that reminds them of a videogame, and this bothers them because it breaks their suspension of disbelief. You've got an order of warlocks who collect 'soul shards', and suddenly he is thinking of WoW. You have a rogue do a 'double jump' and he thinks of Spiderman. You have a fighter calling himself a 'tank' while the rogue does 'DPS', and he thinks of an MMORPG.

[sblock]But the thing is, this isn't really tied to videogames at all. It can generally crop up just as easily with other references. A player has his 'deck' of power cards and someone is bothered because it reminds them of Magic the Gathering. The group embarks on an Underdark adventure and the writer has wittily described it as a "maze of twisty little passages, all alike". A player shows up whose character is named "Driziitz" and everyone groans. After the group sees the movie Equilibrium, the DM includes an NPC who dual-wields hand crossbows and has a martial arts style designed around using them in melee.

Sometimes this is an issue of including an easter egg or reference to another source. Sometimes it is about drawing upon mechanics or ideas from another game.

Either way, for some people, it is cause for complaint. Not because of the mechanic or name or reference itself, in isolation, but because of what it does - breaks the bubble of disbelief. Momentarily takes them out of the game.

I find this, in many ways, simultaneously the most understandable complaint, but also the hardest to address. Some people like these clever references. Some people feel that good mechanics are good mechanics, regardless of the source. It is unfortunate if their presence bothers someone else, but there is really nothing that can be done about it. I certainly can't blame someone for being bothered by such a thing - but I also don't want to see the game change in response to it.

So, sure, sometimes someone will complain about something being 'videogamey'. It isn't that videogames themselves are bad, though - it is because the person finds themselves reminded of something outside of the game. There are plenty of other things that could trigger the same sort of response.

Sometimes, that's just the way things are.[/sblock]

2) The second type of complaint is generally about something being 'unrealistic', and the reference to video games is usually in reference to them often having mechanics that are exceptionally abstracted due to, well, that being the nature of the game.

[sblock]The problem, of course, is that this isn't about the video games themselves, and it also really isn't anything new to D&D.

Hitpoints have always been abstract. We've never really had an 'accurate' wound system. So when someone says, "This bothers me, because hitpoints are too videogamey in this system"... well, people tend to object. Both because 'videogamey' itself isn't a part of it, and because the problem isn't anything new. Thus, the person's complaint seems more like they are trying to justify it by implying that there is something instrinsically bad about video games, and that is the reason why they are objecting now, when they've had no problems with such things in the past.

Now, that said, I don't think this is always the actual case. Instead, I think this often develops because their experiences with a video game may have helped demonstrate to them the abstraction of mechanics they had never really thought about before.

Say I play a 3rd Edition Barbarian who rages every day, which lasts a certain duration and then goes away. I see no problems with this. Then I play a video game where I have similar effects - I use a power that boosts me for a few minutes and then has a cooldown.

Suddenly, I sit back down and play that barbarian again, and it feels 'videogamey' - but only because seeing that mechanic stripped down to the bare bones helped demonstrate the abstraction of it. The barbarian certainly wasn't designed to feel like a video game.

Instead, the mechanics for the barbarian and for the video game just had the same design philosophy going on behind the scene. And once I become aware of it, I associate the two in my mind. And when I make a complaint about it, I thus phrase it in terms of video games, rather than addressing the underlying issue of realism vs abstraction.

These sorts of complaints are the ones I think Dannager is trying to point out as problematic. When someone complains about something being videogamey because they find it unrealistic, they aren't complaining about it being videogamey - they are complaining about it being unrealistic. And thus focusing on this unrelated connection helps prevent any real discussion from taking place.

When that discussion does take place, at its heart, video games aren't really a part of it. How much of an RPG should be abstract is a debate going back to the start of the game - and changes wildly from one person to the next based on personal preference. Video games are simply on one end of that spectrum, and they themselves cover a wide range of different approaches.

If it wasn't for that, I could see the use of it for shorthand. But since there are so many different reasons folks complain about stuff being 'videogamey' - and since there isn't one default type of video game in the first place - tossing it in as a reference tends to just confuse the issue. [/sblock]

3) Finally, we have the complaint of something being videogamey referring to character options being limited.

[sblock]I think this is a stronger complaint to make than the others, since limits are pretty much always going to be built into a video game. If the game doesn't want to let you explore off the path, you just can't do so. If the game says you can only defeat enemies by making the basic attack (A button) or super attack (B button)... well, then you can't find a way to defeat them by grappling with them and drowning them in the swamp. If the game says the only way you get into the palace is by disguising yourself as a palace guard, that is what you have to do - even if you think you should be able to try stealth, violence, magic, or countless other approaches.

Now, again, there are a great many video games, and so this reference isn't universally true - many gives plenty of options or try to accomodate as much choice as possible. But what is written into the code is ultimately an absolutely restriction, and so this comparison is probably more true than the other comparisons, and so as a reference, I think is the most legitimate one.

Unfortunately, it also tends to be the least useful as criticism, since a roleplaying game system will almost never be enforced like this. If something is limited in such a fashion, that almost always comes down to the DM more than the rules. Or perhaps you could apply it to an adventure (with the adventure writer taking the place of the DM in this case).

So you might say, "Bob's campaign is too videogamey because we are always running into plot doors." And it could be true, he could have one solution in mind for every obstacle, and intentionally foil everything the PCs do unless it is explicitly what he has in mind.

Or an adventure could say, "The only way to get through Crazy Eddie's Door of Torment is to say 'Wicker licorice handle', which the PCs can find out by discovering the note on the Archpriest of Ravens." And if the party tries something else, whether divination, or blowing up the door, or teleportation... then the DM has to either let it happen (and risk the adventure falling apart completely), or just declare it doesn't work (and try to come up with a reason for it, and deal with players frustrated over lack of agency.)

But a game system itself will rarely have this sort of limitation. And so if someone says, "4E is too videogamey", and this is the reason why, it tends to not make any sense.

If they instead say, "4E adventures are too videogamey", and this is what they mean... well, that could be a more legitimate complaint.

But at the same time, I'm not sure how much is served by comparing it to video games. For one thing, it invites confusion, given the other possible complaints that could be meant by calling something 'videogamey'. And for another... I mean, this sort of behavior has been around since the start of RPGs. Video games had nothing to do with it. It is almost more legitimate to criticize it as being too much like a novel - since that tends to be the real problem, a DM who has a single story in mind and doesn't want to let stuff play out any other way. [/sblock]

In the end, the problem is that simply dismissing something as "videogamey" reads as "This is bad because it is like video games, thus implying that video games are themselves intrinsically bad." That's pretty much never what someone actually means, though.

They mean it is bad because it has some aspect the person associates with video games. And if that association alone is the problem (as in example 1), it is understandable to make that comparison.

But usually it isn't about the association at all. It instead is about some other underlying problem, and one that usually has nothing to do with video games. And so the suggestion that one is better served by focusing on the problem itself from the start... well, that seems like a reasonable suggestion to me.

I said said:
Actually it can be fixed, but there must be an incentive of some sort and people must want it to be fixed. Like any problem, most people just can't see they're the one with the problem. The first step is always acknowledging it, but most people can't see it.
You are capable of fixing human nature? I can't top that. I'm done.

Raven Crowking

First Post
But we've finally got a decent explanation - constrained. That one works. I happen to disagree and could go into why

Sorry, but I meant to reply to this part, too: "I happen to disagree and could go into why".

I have no doubt that you can do so, and that you can do so reasonably. All games, by their very nature, include artificial constraints, and which artificial constraints one finds objectionable is going to be extremely subjective.

And that is totally cool.

[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]: I was thinking of a farm tractor, but a golf cart would do, or a go-kart. I'm sure you can think of others.

[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]: Thanks for the extremely courteous level of restraint. You have outdone yourself in your reasonableness here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads