A Brief Complaint About "Helpful" Responses

librarius_arcana

First Post
airwalkrr said:
I post here in the House Rules forum quite a bit because I like discussing house rules and looking for ways to make the game better for me and my group. Lately, I have been hearing a lot of people reply to my suggestions with things like "tweaking the game messes up more stuff that you have to tweak so don't do it." These kind of replies do not help me. I post here because I KNOW that tweaks will impact other areas of the game and I want feedback to help me realize areas I haven't considered.

Totally covering your back on this,
you're right whats the point in peeps saying don't when this is what this forum is all about

didn't they read the heading it's called "House Rules" that means changing stuff :lol:

jayaint

First Post
I would like to throw my two cents in this discussion as well.

*plink* *rattle rattle* *roll roll* *settle*

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with this thread. I am the only member of my group that comes here regularly (with only one other member who has an active account). Anytime I have an idea that I would like some help on, this forum is the first place I turn.

And I have to say that I am coming here less and less because the majority of the responses I get to my posted ideas either don't seem to have read past the first paragraph of my post (haggling on points I make later in writeups), or seem to only want to put up a knee-jerk brick-wall denial of the idea. Neither of which help my idea grow. Nor do those two tacks help the thread remain interesting to pull in more posters.

I try to stay postitive, and just go back top the drawing board on my own after such crash&burns, but that's not what this place is for. The collective mind of SO MANY talented D20'ers shouldn't spin out negativity and make people afraid to post new ideas for fear of scorn. Yet, that is the point I am rapidly approaching, and others I know who used to come here have already eclipsed.

I like ENworld for the promise of what it can provide gamers. I'm just feeling shortchanged. Which is tough to do with only two pennies to my name.. oh wait. I just cashed those in.

-jay

Raven Crowking

First Post
librarius_arcana said:
It's true dude, you have a clean and clear understanding of d20 crunch, and I would always value your input in regard to this system,

Not only that, Lorehead, but you tend to write in a manner that is clear and concise. There are a lot of good ideas, and good observations, that get lost in less clear text. I always find your posts worth reading. :)

RC

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The mix of people here always changes, of course, and with summer vacation it changes more than usual. I'm a big fan of concentrating on the wheat and ignoring the chaff. I think we have less chaff here than most message boards, but I think nowhere is perfect.

Thank the people who give you help. Ignore the folks who try to derail a thread. That way it's self-reinforcing, and you'll find a lot more positive support in your threads than before.

librarius_arcana

First Post
Piratecat said:
The mix of people here always changes, of course, and with summer vacation it changes more than usual. I'm a big fan of concentrating on the wheat and ignoring the chaff. I think we have less chaff here than most message boards, but I think nowhere is perfect.

Thank the people who give you help. Ignore the folks who try to derail a thread. That way it's self-reinforcing, and you'll find a lot more positive support in your threads than before.

Very wise

Or I could send the monkeys in to deal with the clown :D

kyloss

First Post
Would that be tha musical, flying or standard type of monkeys? Personaly my first thought was musical, but maybe thats just me. As to your point I do agree with it and those made by others of if you think it wont work give atleast one specific reason why, more works but without one specific intentions are easily lost.

librarius_arcana

First Post
kyloss said:
Would that be tha musical, flying or standard type of monkeys? Personaly my first thought was musical, but maybe thats just me.

It was based on something I said in another thread

librarius_arcana said:
Yeah and I'd like to sell two dvd racks on ebay so I can buy a box of albino monkeys, and teach them to eat clowns

Can't stand clowns

or mimes

"Shudder"

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Thank you for the positive responses. One of the things I like about Enworld is that it is one of those rare places where I rarely have to worry about flame wars. I would much like to keep that the way it is. I DO appreciate it when people tell me that my idea will run into problems and they explain what those problems are (without veiled implications that I am an idiot). I like being able to look at the problems people propose and then work with other posters to figure out a solution. That is what I believe this forum is for and I'm glad that some of your still agree with that.

Thowing in my 2 cents from the peanut gallery...

This has been, in my experience, one of the best resources for tweaks and tips for D20. I have a virtual ton of saved files at home drawn from the great discussions here.

However, as a recent thread in the General Forum proved, so much of how the thread goes depends on the clarity and tone of the initial post.

Another large piece depends on the *second* post...I have seen many a thread go down in flames fast..just because the first reply focused on one aspect of the OP and derailed the entire thread.

The third aspect, that I am way too often the violator off..is remembering which forum I am in. In my case I tend to think House Rule even when posting in RAW :(

There are a number of screen names in this thread that I tend to join in thier debates simply because I know the debate will be worth my while...and admittably have butted heads with pretty much all of the same guys :)

End result, keep a thick skin.. focus on the good debates, and if your thread goes down in flames, review your OP and possible restate the problem in a new thread.

Remove ads