• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E a bunch of my youtube vids on 1e, basic, and other D&D

shadzar

Banned
Banned

OMG IKR!

They are the same thing, and it really isn't hard to teach new players THAC0 because yes, the chart is there on some character sheets. The thing that annoyed me most was a comment....

I still play "2E" to this day. What I discovered was that the reason why I think a lot of people had problems with THAC0 might be due to DMs not announcing what the AC of the NPCs were in combat.

Why do the players need to know? That is probably the biggest problem. Rather than worrying did you hit, just tell the DM what AC you could hit or what you rolled and he will tell you if you can roll for damage....

Sure after a while you can learn every AC in every edition, but do you really need to know? Are you going to metagame in order to use some special weapon to hit this one with tougher armor class, rather than using your best weapon all the time to try to get the most use out of it and most hits in?

Hey my THAC0 is 15 and I rolled a 14, 15-14 means I can hit anything with AC 1 and higher. :eek: Really not that hard.

If you roll damage on it, it means you know better what AC it does have if you need it, but come on...it isn't that hard either way since they ARE the same.

It is like arguing is a zebra black with white stripes, or white with black stripes. Does it matter?

Probably watch more of them later, jsut had to see the THAC0 one first.

IvanMike

First Post
thanks shadzar - of course you could always subscribe and help me out with my plans of world domination......:lol:

They've been a blast to make. I was kind of inspired by the excellent videos made by tetsubo57. It's not as easy as it looks, although it's an interesting media to get your points and ideas across. I find that you can explain yourself a bit better and not get people so upset if they see you face to face so to speak. The hobby is small, and it's far too easy for people to get upset over something that you post, as they can't see HOW you are saying it.

Overall I think we all have a lot to learn from one another, and most of the rules debates or edition wars are kind of silly. the video media helps soften the blow so to speak. The only downside is that you can't be as detailed as you might like. I am painfully aware of all my shortcomings in the video format, and keep trying to improve. the worst thing is those you tubers who think they are doing a bangup job, and aren't aware of how.....not so good they are at the format.

thanks for watching!

Ivan

shadzar

Banned
Banned
I would have to sign up with youtube and google to do that...and i don't really use it that often for thing and bookmark all the good stuff.

Your THAC0 video is in the same bookmark folder with "She touched my tra-la-la" and "Jizz in my pants" songs so i can find it though. Probably point a lot of people to it since as you say, having a face with the words can often soften the blow of an idea that isn't something you are familiar with like THAC0 being the same system but standing on its head with the d20 and ascending AC.

Remove ads