D&D 5E A Closer Look At January's D&D Rules Expansion Gift Set

WotC earlier announced a D&D Rules Expansion Gift Set for January, which includes three books - Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and the new Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. These were intended for the holidays, but the global production issues mean they'll be out in January. Here's a closer look at them...
WotC earlier announced a D&D Rules Expansion Gift Set for January, which includes three books - Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and the new Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. These were intended for the holidays, but the global production issues mean they'll be out in January. Here's a closer look at them!

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Scribe

Legend
From the sound of things it's the same jump as 1e to 2e
I mean I dont know about back then, but this is something that for the core book updates, we can do right now, as its all going to be backward compatible, at least so they say.

All the race stuff, you could literally write up right now based on Tasha's and the Feywild template.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
From the sound of things it's the same jump as 1e to 2e
While AD&D 2E was more or less a cleaned up restatement of 1E, it did make some substantial changes. As someone else mentioned they changed classes around somewhat, they also entirely replaced the to hit matrix with THAC0 among other things. I doubt we'll see anything even that substantial in the 2024 revision. And almost certainly not to the level of the later Player's Options books (Spells & Magic, Skills & Powers and Combat & Tactics).

Jacqual

Explorer
While AD&D 2E was more or less a cleaned up restatement of 1E, it did make some substantial changes. As someone else mentioned they changed classes around somewhat, they also entirely replaced the to hit matrix with THAC0 among other things. I doubt we'll see anything even that substantial in the 2024 revision. And almost certainly not to the level of the later Player's Options books (Spells & Magic, Skills & Powers and Combat & Tactics).
I am betting the update will be more along the lines of 1 to 1.5 aka Unearthed Arcana, or 2 to 2.5 those option books Skills and Powers etc.

Yes, this. My sense is this replaces Volo and the first Mordenkainen, with a "best of" the previous two, plus some new stuff.

Some creatures may come from other books like adventures and Fizbans. A few may come from setting books like the various kinds of nymphs of Theros, because Theros isn't the only setting with Nymphs, maybe with changes such as giving Oreads meld with stone.

Remove ads

Remove ads